AC clutch bearing

4wheels

My brother-in-law gave me his failed AC compressor to play with. I will post a few pictures as we all love pictures here and they can be huge help sometimes.
Bearing failed at almost 340k . Truck is 2014 V6 , 2500.
New bearing from eBay is on the way , stay tuned .
1. Shaft nut is 7mm and you have to turn it clockwise to unscrew it
2. I was surprised that pulley is not metal

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Dunnjew

What were his symptoms? I think the bearing in my 07 is going out currently. I get a rattling/rhythmic knocking only when the ac is turned on.

4wheels

What were his symptoms? I think the bearing in my 07 is going out currently. I get a rattling/rhythmic knocking only when the ac is turned on.
He said it was just noise .
Good thing he didn't loose the belt. My other freind had his bearing seized 2 times ! One time the belt broke P.S pulley.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
When the shaft seal starts to leak, it will spray a small amount of oil on the clutch. The clutch then starts slipping a bit, and that can cook a bearing pretty quickly.

hoosierrun

When the shaft seal starts to leak, it will spray a small amount of oil on the clutch. The clutch then starts slipping a bit, and that can cook a bearing pretty quickly.
I agree with this. You will find out when you remove the clutch, pulley and bearing assembly. If there is evidence of oil, the new bearing will fail within months. I have had this on a few Nippendenso compressors. Best to replace the complete compressor, especially one that old.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The only time I have had luck replacing a clutch, was when the previous unit failed due to a slipping serp belt, or external oil contamination (leaking main seal).

4wheels

I should have said - AC pulley , not AC clutch , my bad. As we know Sprinter's compressor has no clutch ( had to argue with br-in-law) - there is valve . So in this case replacing bearing should work .
Also , from expediting world , I know and I've heard from many that bearing will last about 350k . Many Sprinter owners will never have that much miles.
You can find EBSsprinting's 500k review on this forum and see that his pulley fell off.
Exactly what almost happened to my brother-in-law , who gave me this AC compressor.
It did happened to my other brother-in-law on his 2008 ( twice !) He did replaced pulley with rebuilt bearing from EBay and drives to this day
And happened to my friend in Georgia , at 350k (original) and second time at 720k ( from Napa , but original Denso unit )
My 1 cent

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Okay, good to know. FYI some NCV3s have a clutch, some don't, depending on engine model. The V6 is clutch-less from memory.

vanhousecustoms1

Van Builder DIY Mechanic Owned 15+ Sprinters 02-18
so do you just turn the 7mm nut clockwisew to get the pulley off to access the bearing? do i need to lock those 3 holes on the front? my 2008 van is at 299k and the ac compressor works just fine but doesn't sound good. i think i can get away with bearing replacement...

Top Bottom