2006 sprinter rear brake lines - $750 to replace?

Carminooch615

Hello,

My 2006 dodge sprinter 2500 has some very rusty brake lines - only the rear. Left and right. I know the tank has to be dropped.
I have it at a mechanic that is known to work on sprinters and he wants $750 for parts and labor. Says the lines can’t be bought and that they’re a copper type material so they don’t rust (can’t remember what he said exactly).

I didn’t expect it to be this much but Im also not claiming to be up to speed with the industry rate etc. I’m waiting to give him a call back to authorize or decline the repair. I simply don’t have the time to do it myself.

Is that a fair price?

It is #15 and #16 that need replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 50714

Sounds like a fair price. Remember, system requires bleeding after repair. Just saw one dealer quote for Brake fluid replacement for $200.

FWIW. Even the dealerships can no longer provide the shaped/preformed OEM lines. The lines come straight and need to be bent.

Not that you asked...

If you are not a DIY type I would have all of the steel brake lines replaced while they are doing the job. If one or more is rusted, it is safe to assume that the others are in a similar state of deterioration. It isn't so safe to assume that the because the other lines aren't leaking (yet), that they are fine.

:2cents: vic

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Sounds like the right price. If you know how to make brake line flares, bends etc, you can do it yourself ... it will be easily 8 hrs of fiddling if you are lucky and all goes well (not to mention broken bleeders..that will add the me and $$).

Carminooch615

I truly appreciate the help and all of the suggestions. That’s why this community is great. Thank you all! The remainder of the brake lines will be inspected and we’ll keep a’rollin down the road

Garandman

Our RR was leaking. They fabricated a replacement for $48: not sure if they used official MB Unobtamium lines. Labor was $237 and included some other rear brake work (new disks and pads).

MikeP

Back year or 2 back front driver side brake fluid leak. One place said couldn't get lines unless located elsewhere. Shop owner recommended another shop that dealt with RV's and general vehicles. When they checked out all lines except passenger front was rusty. They fabricated lines and pressured checked. Cost alot less than your quote but may be location, I'm in Oklahoma.
Couple days later they replaced fight front along with that square block that hose to wheel located. But didn't charge anything said they should of just went ahead done it when all rest was but that side looked/tested under pressure good.

Carminooch615

Being located just outside of nyc definitely brings the price up a bit I would imagine. I like knowing at least they will be copper, the link above is very informative and an interesting read.

Top Bottom