Seeking TPMS recommendations

dranoeL

Need an aftermarket tire pressure monitoring system for '08 Sprinter RV.
Any suggestions or advice?
I'm thinking about the units that screw onto the end of the valve stems but have concerns that the added weight on the ends of the long valve stems might cause undue stress at the base of those stems that could result in failure and loss of pressure. I also wonder if that little bit of added weight will affect the balance of the wheel.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
The least finicky TPMS is you.
Having no lights and sirens going off when a tire changes 2psi will keep your peace of mind & sanity.
IMHO, TPMSs are the worst gadget implementation ever.

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis
I put a gauge on the tires before a trip, works fine even with duallies.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
I put a gauge on the tires before a trip, works fine even with duallies.
Works fine unless your inner dual loses all it's air during the first 50 miles of the trip. Speaking from personal experience, which is why I now have a TPMS. They are a significant safety enhancement like seat belts and airbags and why they are now required on all vehicles under 10,000 lbs GVWR in USA.

Sepp

Need an aftermarket tire pressure monitoring system for '08 Sprinter RV.
Any suggestions or advice?
I'm thinking about the units that screw onto the end of the valve stems but have concerns that the added weight on the ends of the long valve stems might cause undue stress at the base of those stems that could result in failure and loss of pressure. I also wonder if that little bit of added weight will affect the balance of the wheel.
What ever TPMS systems you are looking at I strongly suggest you stay away from the EEZ RV Products..... they will not stand behind their products... I unfortunately had this experience as reportedly did many others

marklg

I recently installed these:

From my review on Amazon:

These were easy to install, just screw on with the optional security nut. The sensors have what appears to be brass fittings so there should be no corrosion on standard valves with brass fittings. They work to report pressures reliably on all wheel on a Sprinter Van, so they enough range for a vehicle of that size. They seem to report pressures within 2 psi of an external pressure gauge. They do not seem to leak at all. The display is clear and easy to read, except when wearing polarized sunglasses.

There are only one set of low and high pressure warnings. It does not appear possible to set different wheels differently. That is not a big issue but to note if the different wheels have widely different pressure settings.

Regards,

Mark

marklg

Should I decide to go this way, any suggestions where to get good Ford sensors? There are many clones available, and many on eBay for low prices that claim to be "genuine for Ford" and other similar wording, may be really old with almost dead batteries, may be fake, etc.

I did find a little more info at Summit Racing. This apparently works with 315 MHz Ford TPMS sensors.

Regards,

Mark

marklg

Should I decide to go this way, any suggestions where to get good Ford sensors? There are many clones available, and many on eBay for low prices that claim to be "genuine for Ford" and other similar wording, may be really old with almost dead batteries, may be fake, etc.

I did find a little more info at Summit Racing. This apparently works with 315 MHz Ford TPMS sensors.

Regards,

Mark
I tried a couple aftermarket 315 MHz Ford sensors.

Schrader 29020 does not seem to work. I tried setting for the vehicles it is supposed to be the correct sensor for, but it was not recognized. I can see it it transmitting on 315 MHz on a spectrum analyzer when I hit the activiation button I have, but it is not recognized.

Huf RDE014V21 is recognized. It is actually a selection on the display for "retrofit". It also transmits on 315 MHz but the pulses look different.

The display is made by Huf.

Regards,

Mark

marklg

I tried a couple aftermarket 315 MHz Ford sensors.

Schrader 29020 does not seem to work. I tried setting for the vehicles it is supposed to be the correct sensor for, but it was not recognized. I can see it it transmitting on 315 MHz on a spectrum analyzer when I hit the activiation button I have, but it is not recognized.

Huf RDE014V21 is recognized. It is actually a selection on the display for "retrofit". It also transmits on 315 MHz but the pulses look different.

The display is made by Huf.

Regards,

Mark
Huf tells me the RDE014V21 is too low pressure for the Sprinter. They suggest RDE023V41 will work. I've ordered some and will report on the results.

Regards,

Mark

marklg

RDE023V41s work fine. Select 2016 Ford Transit 250 on the ID1000 and they are instantly recognized.

Regards,

Mark

marklg

Can anyone tell me if a 2014 Era 170X have a TPMS? Thanks.
In the United States, as of 2008 and the European Union, as of November 1, 2012, all new passenger car models (M1) released must be equipped with a TPMS. I think that included vans. My application guide from Huf TPMS shows TPMS replacements for 2010 and up Sprinters. Huf told me they are considering displays like the ID1000 for other vehicle lines besides Ford. I think they did Ford first as it is the easiest to learn the sensors. You hold a $12 trigger button next to each wheel and don't need an expensive TPMS programmer.

For Sprinters, you will likely only have an idiot light and lots of people like to see actual information also. You should be able to see TPMS readings with something like an AP200.

Regards,

Mark

Last edited:

Top Bottom