9" Android head unit

The android unit is made by Hizpo. In one of the pictures I have a DVD in and playing
(Saving Private Ryan). Received it in about 3 days after purchasing. The Android system works very well, but the Apple CarPlay is much nicer looking and Siri works very well.
Kind of funny that the Hizpo Head Unit actually looks more factory than the Audio 15.

If you have a factory radio it will work, I have a 2018 4x4 that came with the audio 15 and rear view camera. You will want to get a 2 adapters also.
Both are fakra, one is for 3.5mm/USB dash connection the other is for reverse camera (if you have a factory audio 15 and rear view camera).
You may not need the adapters if you do not have a rear view camera and audio 15.

Last edited:
Re: 9" Android head unit

If you have a factory radio it will work, I have a 2018 4x4 that came with the audio 15 and rear view camera. You will want to get a 2 adapters also.
Both are fakra, one is for 3.5mm/USB dash connection the other is for reverse camera (if you have a factory audio 15 and rear view camera).
You may not need the adapters if you do not have a rear view camera and audio 15.
Have PNs for those? I've been down this path with other vehicles before and some times the adapters prove to be persnickety...

I do have the Audio 15 and the rear camera...would like to figure out a front camera since a hitch bumper is in my future (for moving trailers around)...

I saw John's comments on Amazon and looked closely at his choice(he gave PNs for the adapters)...but i like buttons and knobs

Last edited:
I believe this is what you need:

1 and 2 come with radio:

#1- Antenna adapter comes with radio
#2- GPS comes with radio, do not use existing GPS

You will need adapters for 3 and 4 below:

#3- Rear View Camera, (green fakra), male fakra to male RCA
#4- Dash USB/3.5mm connector, (violet fakra), female fakra to male USB

The two adapters in center of picture are what you need:
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-oOXejHojZKG/p_541RP4MB11/PAC-RP4-2-MB11-Wiring-Interface.html

The nice thing is no wires need to be cut, all plug and play.

Last edited:

Vanzer Pagen

The android unit is made by Hizpo. In one of the pictures I have a DVD in and playing
(Saving Private Ryan). Received it in about 3 days after purchasing. The Android system works very well, but the Apple CarPlay is much nicer looking and Siri works very well.
Kind of funny that the Hizpo Head Unit actually looks more factory than the Audio 15.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077BWFBGV/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A17YHR60ETNWLC&psc=1
Is this the same unit? I've had it in my cart for ages thinking I'd get used to the Audio 15. Is there a rear speaker fader on it? MB now wants $125 to enable that feature on the A15, I'd rather spend it on a whole new head.
I've already upgraded the front speakers, and added a volume control to the middle; I keep it low for music but turn it up for phone calls. Adds a touch more center and midrange presence.
Thanks!

I think the one Vanzer Pagen was asking about is a little different.
The one I purchased has 4GB of RAM and 32GB of ROM.
Mine also has Android 8.0 instead of 8.1.
Physically it looks identical to the one on Amazon though.
Hope this helps.

Andrew_T

Resurrecting this thread to ask a quick question.
I installed an Xtrons 9” headunit in my 2008 and I simply love it.
I do however have a buzzing noise when playing music over bluetooth. Stock speaker configuration. No sub, amp, rear speakers yet.
Anyone else experiencing the speaker buzzing noise present on their android units?

I should mention that playing directly on the YouTube app on the headunit using the the phone as a hotspot , music is nice and clear . Still hear some background noise but at least no speaker buzzing/crackling noise.

So there seems to be an issue with Bluetooth streaming only.

Last edited:

imsebastian

This looks amazing, great work! I don't know much about head unit, can you choose the camera to be on at any time (assuming you have it wired to get power) ?

Does the navigation work as a stand-alone feature, or do you need connectivity to use this?

Does this have the ability to stream via bluetooth to separate bluetooth speakers?

Thanks!

JFloFoto

Yes, you can have the cameras on at will.

Yes, stand-alone nav depending on the app you use. I use Sygic. Works even better with cellular.

Haven't tried streaming BT from radio. I'll get back to you on that.

harry_mc

Hi John, Question for you on screen brightness: Have you had any issues with seeing the screen on bright sunny days? I tried another brand and could barely see the screen unless it was night time. Thanks!

JFloFoto

The opposite issue. Screen is very bright. I turn it to the lowest setting most of the time, even during the day.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

klompen

I have successfully installed my Xtrons 9" Android unit and have the connections all working for the rear camera, steering wheel controls, and USB ports. Now I'm interested in adding a front camera for assistance when parking. I remember seeing a connector for it when I did the install.

I've seen a couple of cameras on Amazon, but I don't know how to determine what will work best or what it takes to install them. Here's what I've found. Some pointers will be appreciated.
https://www.amazon.com/XTRONS-Unive...rds=xtrons+front+camera&qid=1580960701&sr=8-2
https://www.amazon.com/XTRONS-Forwa...rds=xtrons+front+camera&qid=1580961126&sr=8-3

bchase47

Thanks for all the great information. I have been researching a radio to replace the xcite pos in my 2018 Era for six hours now and this thread put me over the top on buying the Xtrons. I did notice that there is a wireless android auto dongle on the Xtrons site.

Farfrumwork

Any reason this version wouldn't work in a 2017 4x4?

It runs on an Android 9.0 Operating system. Older Android 8.0 versions costs $120 more...

Top Bottom