Millenials and Van Life

surferJ

I have a full bath and shower. Love it and keep it clean.

Although I realize the average millenial can not afford my path of a pro build, their dyi rigs seem to consistently lack the toilet.
They head into the woods with a paper roll, as if they are the only ones doing it. But the explosion of van lifers is now having some blow back.
The locals, where ever above happens, see this, and now the once loose rules for RVs are tightening up.

glasseye

With the right shower head (with shut off valve), and proper training, I find 15l of water is enough for a great shower. One that's 90% of a 40 gallon shower. For the two of us we get by on 40 gallons of water every 2-5 days with typical usage. Thats including cooking, personal hygiene, and drinking. 300lbs isn't light weight, but given the sprinters payload, its reasonable if planned for.

There is a company that makes a portable sponge bath unit, which feeds hot water to a handheld sponge. Supposedly it only need 1 gallon for a decent wash, though I have never used one.
My goodness! :rad: You guys are WAY cleaner than me. :smirk: Or thirstier.
I use a 20l container (about 5 usg) every few days, even in the desert.

In addition to my pee bottle (with bleach! :rad: ) I have a porta pottie that uses “Wag Bags”, basically ultra heavy duty garbage bags sized to fit the unit.

Usually, it’s truck stop showers @ $10 each. :bash:

In extremis, Kirkland Baby Wipes are my friend.

Last edited:

borabora

2.5 gallon solar shower (bag with water that is left in the sun to heat up) works perfectly for me. Enough to shampoo and get whole body clean while wearing a swim suit as not to embarrass fellow campers if around. And I don't use my drinking water for that. Bio-degradable liquid soap as not impact my shower environment.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
My good friends have had a camper van for 5+ years. They finally gave in and transitioned to lower stress (slightly lower pay) remote positions. They will probably house sit or visit friends for about 6 months a year, and spend the rest doing fun stuff on the weekends and evenings. As long as you don't mind the borderline minimalist approach, its a great way to enjoy the outdoors to the maximum extent, and still have mobility.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
My neighbor is out on the road for 190 days a year. When they come home, they live if the RV in the yard. They are in their 90s, not born in the 90s.

D

Deleted member 50714

Or they work for Google, save $10K a month by living in a van, retire early and move to Costa Rica.
Sounds a excellent place for them, post gunboats keep 'em there.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 50714

"I'd rather awake in wilderness than in any hotel room on earth"
Paul Newman.
:rad:

"I'd rather wake-up still a backtrap virgin in the sleaziest of fleabag hotel rooms then squeal like a pig for a poo-poo stinking hillbilly."— Bobnoxious

X :rad::rad:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 50714

Size matters

Small 1,000 square feet home.

Big property hundred acres, I'll be a happy camper.

lindenengineering

"I'd rather awake in wilderness than in any hotel room on earth"
Paul Newman.

:rad:

We well he probably NEVER slept in a hammock slung under a tractor trailer set up; half way up the Kyber Pass fixing a twin plate clutch failure in a 15 speed Roadranger gearbox set up ! Afghanistan is wilderness, a desolate place indeed. If ever Mars existed on Earth it is there !

Then I wonder if he has ever been up to about 18,000 ft in the Andes and slept in a truck sleeper cab, with the night time temperatures falling below zero in a spectacular mountain wilderness setting? Brass monkey weather at night and have a pounding headache from altitude sickness.
Three years of that cured my attraction to being on the road, and the only compensation was that I was paid handsomely to do that stuff! .
Dennis

Top Bottom