Replace Oil drain plug bolt with a valve and tube

kcshoots

VanTripping.com
I just completed my first oil change, and found that I had two problems I'd like to resolve when I do this again: 1) oil drips all over the Van Compass front skid plate, and 2) avoiding having to buy another but larger oil drain collection pan to hold the 13 quarts. I'm thinking of solving these two issues with a Fumoto oil drain plug valve with a tube attached and routed thru the front skid plate's oil change opening to a 3 or 5 gallon oil collection/recycling jug, or even just to the empty quarts of replacement oil so I can cleanly drain, collect and recycle the used oil.

The oil drain plug with valve is this. I'd slip on the tube when I change the oil, otherwise it can stay at home. Most of the oil makes it thru the opening in the Van Compass skid plate for the oil to come thru when the plug is removed but the remaining few quarts dribbles all over the skid plate making quite the mess.

What are your thoughts or suggestions on replacing the oil drain plug bolt with a valved plug such as this one and this method of using a tube slipped over it and routed directly into the collection container(s)?

Thanks in advance.

showkey

The other alternative is suck the oil out through the dip stick. Several devices on the market, no mess and everything is done from the top. Many dealers use this method. I use this method and there’s is no oil left in the pan. Upside no added device or valve to leak. Sounds like yours is covered by a the skid pan.......but.......when this topic has come up prior, the valve device in an uncovered or unprotected location was a concern for some members.

( a nylon tube place down the dip stick tube is the common way the oil is sucked up into a large container)

Last edited:

bobmac

What are your thoughts or suggestions on replacing the oil drain plug bolt with a valved plug such as this one and this method of using a tube slipped over it and routed directly into the collection container(s)?

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

I was reluctant to try a Fumoto valve as I could imagine it opening unintentionally and causing an engine failure. The valve handle mechanism is locked however and the drain being on the side of the pan means it is no lower than the existing oil pan.

It makes oil changing a bit slower, but much less messy in the back yard! I've used three now on 2002/2003 vehicles. I see the one you are looking at has some kind of additional clip to make it more secure? You may be able to leave the tube in place and cable tie it to a tie rod or something secure? :2cents:
Bob, presently with Eric Experience getting a failed engine replaced

Mein Sprinter

Known member
I just completed my first oil change, and found that I had two problems I'd like to resolve when I do this again: 1) oil drips all over the Van Compass front skid plate, and 2) avoiding having to buy another but larger oil drain collection pan to hold the 13 quarts. I'm thinking of solving these two issues with a Fumoto oil drain plug valve with a tube attached and routed thru the front skid plate's oil change opening to a 3 or 5 gallon oil collection/recycling jug, or even just to the empty quarts of replacement oil so I can cleanly drain, collect and recycle the used oil.

The oil drain plug with valve is this. I'd slip on the tube when I change the oil, otherwise it can stay at home. Most of the oil makes it thru the opening in the Van Compass skid plate for the oil to come thru when the plug is removed but the remaining few quarts dribbles all over the skid plate making quite the mess.

Thanks in advance.
Carried the Fumotos on all of my cars. Ease of oil change; a bit slower but no mess. One must, however, to make sure that the thread depth is the same as your original oil plug. I noticed that some Fumotos even though they're made for the Sprinter have a shorter thread.

If we go seriously offroad and dry camp during a season, I tend to remove the Fumoto out of suspicious fear hitting an underground obstruction even though the valve is pretty flush with the oil pan.

cheers...

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
I just installed one of these in my 2008 but have yet to use it so I can't comment on its operation.

In addition to the F106N, you should also order the adapter ADP-106. From what I've read it's hit or miss, some people need it for their NCV3 Sprinter and some don't. As it turns out, I did need it (!) and it was well worth the $9 to not have to leave my van with no oil in it for several days while waiting for it to arrive.

kcshoots

VanTripping.com
Thanks for all of your thoughts. Yeah, my drain plug is well protected behind the Van Compass skid plate, and hence one of the main reasons I'm looking for a solution to the oil spilling all over the skid plate. A drain plug valve with a hose attached directly to a collection jug would do the trick, and just be a lot cleaner altogether, even if a little slower which doesn't matter. I like the idea of a suction pump removing the oil from the oil dip stick but this is significantly more expensive and another device/tool to store in the garage, so I'm not seeing any real benefit of it over the valved plug with 3 feet of tubing for about $30 vs >$150.

Fitz2

Last edited:
This is my oil change setup. It's so clean it can be easily done in a Walmart parking lot.

I take the container into the auto center to be emptied.

D

Deleted member 50714

Mercedes Benz does not recommend girly "suction" method to drain oil.

Drain valve looks attractive but I'll stick with the original and can change oil without spilling a drop because I am so awesome.

Drain valve looks attractive but I'll stick with the original and can change oil without spilling a drop because I am so awesome.
If I weren't doing it in parking lots, campgrounds, and dispersed camping locations I would too. I had to figure out how to do it without having to deal with a messy drain pan.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
I save a couple of DEF jugs (That I rinse and allow to dry) to recycle my oil. All of my oil. Since 2.5 gallons lasts me 2500 miles, they tend to collect.
I have used Fumoto valves for years on other vehicles without mishap. I just haven't done it yet on the Sprinter. Maybe I will after the first "A" service, which I plan to have MB do, to avoid any warranty arguments. The 20k change will be its third oil change.

I save a couple of DEF jugs (That I rinse and allow to dry) to recycle my oil. All of my oil. Since 2.5 gallons lasts me 2500 miles, they tend to collect.
I have used Fumoto valves for years on other vehicles without mishap. I just haven't done it yet on the Sprinter. Maybe I will after the first "A" service, which I plan to have MB do, to avoid any warranty arguments. The 20k change will be its third oil change.
Same here.

D

Deleted member 50714

If I weren't doing it in parking lots, campgrounds, and dispersed camping locations I would too. I had to figure out how to do it without having to deal with a messy drain pan.
I like your set-up, I may copy it.

showkey

:hmmm:Think if look around ........you will MB has a special tool that sucks the oil out in less than 1 minute. Some models the metal dip stick tube goes to the bottom of the pan.......so the nylon extractor tube is not needed.

Oil Extractor by CAP Oil Change Systems is the most popular in MB dealers.

https://www.oilchangesystems.com/who-we-are.php

Mercedes Benz Dealers
An officially approved product through Mercedes Standard Service Equipment Program the CAP TT-28 MB Oil Extractor is designed specifically for Mercedes Benz vehicles This unit is equipped with a special level float sensor and a LED light indicator that show tank volume.
No hose assembly is required for this application. Specific to only Mercedes Benz engineered and manufactured engines oil is extracted via the dip stick tube port through the adapter that extends down into the drain pan. Three separate extraction port adapters are included, straight, 45 degree and 90 degree.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

:hmmm:Think if look around ........you will MB has a special tool that sucks the oil out in less than 1 minute. Some models the metal dip stick tube goes to the bottom of the pan.......so the nylon extractor tube is not needed.

Oil Extractor by CAP Oil Change Systems is the most popular in MB dealers.

https://www.oilchangesystems.com/who-we-are.php
Contraption probably a real labor savor for the lazy shop. However, What's good for the shop isn't always necessarily good for the consumer's vehicles.

I am old school, not lazy...well sometimes and believe what the narrator says beginning at 1:25. I go the extra mile, for example, the last time I changed the oil was immediately after a two-hour putt and let it drain over night. Not that it's absolutely necessary but because I want to and can.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wy6lDuYOymQ

Last edited by a moderator:

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Brilliant - Just ordered one! :thumbup:
Wouldn't it be a good idea to make the Fumoto valve flush with the oil crank case: turn Fumoto drain handle a bit more clockwise; if able! Is your Fumoto tread just as deep as your MB drain bolt? Many Fumotos are shorter.

cheers...

Wouldn't it be a good idea to make the Fumoto valve flush with the oil crank case: turn Fumoto drain handle a bit more clockwise; if able! Is your Fumoto tread just as deep as your MB drain bolt? Many Fumotos are shorter.

cheers...
Ideally it would clock somewhere besides 6 but that's where it stops without adding washers to stop it before it gets there.

It's a bit over 13" off the ground so it would take something really big to reach it. If I hit something over a foot high in the road I'd be pulling over immediately anyway.

The threads are a little shorter than the factory drain plug.

There is an old discussion on the subject that covers them pretty well.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8425

Last edited:

I'm a bit wary of any valve on the oil pan, but in all honesty I don't recall any disaster posts here regarding any valve being knocked off or physically damaged. I do recall some comments about drain valves which don't physically lock closed. I don't recall if that resulted in disaster, or minor spill/drips.

I use appliance box cardboard under any home DIY draining that I do. The occasional drop here and there isn't a problem. (Transmission fluid changes often result in more than just a few drips. :bash:) If I were doing oil changes in other places, the drain valve would be a good option to help me to remain a good neighbor.

:2cents: vic

Top Bottom