NCV3: 2006-2018 2017 MB SPRINTER 144” CAMPER CONVERSION FOR SALE! - Rio de Janeiro - $59k

myles

Ideal for Northbound Pan-Am Trip: Starting in Brazil (Rio de Janeiro) Heading to USA

Dropbox of Pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/12mqcs8fyyouqn0/AADH6C_JOrbsiwuIiWHX5xM7a?dl=0

We started our trip in Canada in June 2018. 40,000 miles later, we are now in Argentina heading to the last 2 months of the trip, that will end in Rio, Brazil, where we live. Unfortunately, we cannot keep our adorable van and started looking for future owners ready to go on adventures! The Pan-Am is a fantastic trip - easier than expected - and we highly recommend anyone with some time and savings to do it!

We bought a new 2017 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 2500 Cargo Van and did the camper conversion ourselves, because we enjoy the type of work and also because we had a good idea of what we wanted. We always tried to find a balance between functionality and looks/coziness inside, and were very happy with the results! We used simple and light materials for the cabinetry - to optimize space and total weight - and high-quality electrical products to power everything we needed without shore power from campgrounds. There’s a lot of storage space, seriously, a lot! In the main area, everything is organized inside drawers, cubbies, and cabinets. Plenty of pantry space, drawers for clothes, toiletries, electronics, cubbies for shoes and bed linen, and there’s still a lot of free space in the back, which we filled with plastic bins for tools, camping and cold weather gear, spares, souvenirs… On the exterior, our main goal was to keep the van looking like a regular service van, with low profile add-ons: a boat window on the roof and solar panels, both can’t be seen by someone walking by on the same level. These and a black out curtain as the partition has helped us sleeping (in the dark) anywhere without being noticed!

We have hot and cold water in the sink and the outdoor shower, a diesel heater that has kept us warm even in temperatures below freezing and is controlled from the bed, an alcohol stove which has saved us the time and hassle of figuring out fittings for propane tanks in different countries, a marine fridge that we use on 12V which always works with minimum power draw. We have been very comfortable during the entire trip, being able to cook inside, standing up, protected from the weather, and having a cozy bed always ready for whenever we are tired. The van has been very reliable, and there were no breakdowns during our trip, or even a flat tire. We’ve been taking good care of it and doing regular maintenance, like oil changes, tire rotations, and keeping a watchful eye out. It’s a strong car and very comfortable and safe to drive, with automatic transmission, driver and passenger airbags, cruise control, lane keep, blind spot, and crosswind assist.

We added all (most?) of the specs bellow and a FAQ at the end! Since we’re still on the road, sometimes, as everyone knows, internet can be difficult, so we tried to give most information possible. But, please, feel free to ask questions and ask for more pics! We’ll answer as soon as we can :)

Price: $59k USD
Available: June 2019
Email: myles.schnorbus@gmail.com
Whatsapp & SMS: +19282715745
VIN: WD3PE7CD1HP552501
Rear Wheel Drive
Titled in Arizona, USA

VAN SPECS (PURCHASED NEW FROM MB BATON ROUGE):
• 2017 MB Sprinter 2500 High Roof 144” WB
• NCV3 Diesel 3.0L V6 – 5 Speed Automatic Transmission
• Driver Comfort Package (Adjustable Seats, 3 Keys, extra 12v outlets)
• Active Safety Plus Package (Multifunction Steering Wheel, Light & Rain Sensor, Lane Keep & Blind Spot Assist, Collision Prevention, Heated and Electrically Controlled Side Mirrors…)
• Cruise control
• Aux Battery Package
• Factory Floor
• Factory Wall Paneling
• Rear Step
• Roof Rails
• Trailer Hitch Wiring
• BF Goodrich TA KO2 Tires (installed at 18,000miles)

CONVERSION SPECS:
GUTS:

• Nocio Noise insulation
• Foam board insulation
• Gebo Boat Hatch
• Wainscoting ceiling
• Blackout partition curtain
• Espar Diesel Air Heater AirTronic D2 (such a good call)
• Reflectix window panels

KITCHEN:
• Isotherm Cruise 65 12v/120v Refrigerator
• Dometic Origo 3000 Double Burner Alcohol Stove (portable)
• 24gal fresh water storage w/12v pump
• 3gal Bosch AC Water Heater
• Sink with hot/cold water
• 5-liter grey water jug or drain to the street
• PEX Plumbing (super robust and easy to modify, spares included)
• LED lighting throughout

ELECTRICAL:
• 12v House Battery System
• 180Ah LiFePO4 CALB battery bank with balancers (under passenger seat)
• 2x 120W Flexible Solar Panels mounted to roof
• 250A Fuse and Blue Sea System cutoff switches
• 2500W AIMS Pure Sine Wave Inverter/Charger (110v shore power plug installed)
• Sterling BB1260 charger to charge from the van alternator/battery while running (w/temp sensor)
• Victron BMV-712 battery meter (w/Bluetooth & temp sensor)
• Victron MPPT 100/20 solar charge controller (w/Bluetooth)
• Factory AUX battery as backup to power the house – Used as a booster to the LiFePO4 bank
• 110v outlets in galley and bedroom
• USB A outlets in galley and bedroom
• USB A & C (for the laptop) in the storage cubby

THE GARAGE:
• 61"x67" (diagonal of ~90") bed with a mattress that has 3 layers of different density foams
• Outdoor shower with hot/cold water, which provides ~10min (enough for the two of us to take a quick shower)
• 24-gal water tank, water heater, water pump
• 3x 7-gal AquaTainers for more independent water storage
• Compressor, gauge, hoses, MaxTrax style Ramps, shovel, and other extraction equipment
• 6 Brute bins holding camping gear, tools, spare parts, etc

EXTRAS:
• Foldable table with 2 stools
• Shower curtain
• 3 bath towels, 2 hand towels
• 2 dish towels
• 100% cotton bed linen
• Small frying pan, bowls, serving spoons, grater
• Portable marine toilet Thetford PottaPotti
• Carbon monoxide detector
• Snow chains for the tires

MAINTENANCE (WE WILL END OUR TRIP WITH ~45,000MILES):
• Recall update (16,000 miles): Completed at MB Lynwood, near Seattle
• Service A (20,000): Completed at MB Draper, near Salt Lake City
• Service B+ (40,000): Completed in Mendoza, Argentina (MB & local shops – All MB OEM Parts)
• Oils Replaced: Engine, Automatic Transmission, Torque Converter
• Filters Replaced: Fuel, Engine Air, Cabin Air, Transmission
• Tires Rotated & Balanced
• Alignment
• Brakes inspected​
• Future Service A (60,000): Your choice where to do the work
• Future Service B (80,000): Included Free at any MB Dealer in the US

We have a load of “just in case” spare parts, towing gear, kitchen accoutrement, bedding etc. which come with. We’ve tried to think of everything we could, and when the trip is done, the van gear is your gear. Our trip thus far has been, as mentioned before, very comfortable and an absolute blast.

FAQS:
1) Is it 4x4, 4WD, AWD?

No, I'm sorry, it is rear wheel drive. The 4x4 model is significantly more expensive and the wait list was too long when we wanted the van. We have rarely found ourselves in places where we wanted 4x4 and we have gone everywhere we've wanted to.

2) What's up with the bed?
The bed measures 61"x67" with a diagonal of ~90"
We welded angle iron to the pillars and put in aluminum slats between the angle iron. There are no supports going to the floor.
The mattress is 3 layers of different density foams.
I am 5'9" and my wife is a bit shorter and we sleep slightly diagonally and comfortably. We wanted to keep the bed small so the living area would remain large and we are happy with this choice.

3) How will the transfer of ownership occur?
This is very dependent on your situation, citizenship, and plans. Depending on a number of factors we can do a title transfer in the US if you can register without a VIN inspection (available in many states), we can do a PODER (power of attorney). If you are serious about driving back to the US from S. America, I encourage you do a bit of research, and then we can contact Overland Title & Vehicle service, or another service. It is absolutely possible, and many people do it.

4) What about insurance?

Obtaining comprehensive and collision insurance in Latin America is possible and somewhat expensive. Most Latin American countries require some liability coverage (SOAT) which we purchase at each border without hassle. If you are interested in researching it, you can start with mxici.com and ivssuk.com I've also heard MAPFRE offers this coverage. I would estimate the premium is $3000-$3500/year for full coverage for many of the countries.

5) Payment?
I want to develop a mutual trust with the next owner. I understand the van is far away and "sight unseen." I don't expect you to wire me a substantial amount before you see the van. I don't expect you to pay in full before you cross your first border. I am sure we can come to a mutual payment agreement which we are both comfortable with. I bank in the US and can receive ACH or wire transfers. I would only ask that if you are serious about the van, you transfer some small earnest money payment or show proof of a plane ticket for me to take down the ads and stop actively finding a buyer.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kauluwela

Love the van, wish I was in a position to buy it and push back north!

That said, I do have one question. There has been debate around the availability of ULSD in different parts of Mex and Central America and DPF/DEF issues that go along with that.

Perhaps a different conversation on a different thread, but curious about your experience with ULSD availability?

Flashg

Since the 2017 van was purchased in Canada did you remove the selective catalytic reduction (SCR) systems and the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR)?

myles

Love the van, wish I was in a position to buy it and push back north!

That said, I do have one question. There has been debate around the availability of ULSD in different parts of Mex and Central America and DPF/DEF issues that go along with that.

Perhaps a different conversation on a different thread, but curious about your experience with ULSD availability?
Yeah, I toyed with the idea of a DPF delete, but by the time the dust would settle, I'd be paying more for the delete than for repair costs IF I ran into issues down the road, and I wouldn't be able to sell it in a state which inspects. So it became a non-starter after reading other's accounts of having no problems.

All PEMEX stations in Mexico only sell ULSD 15ppm (so claims their website)

There are a bunch of PUMA stations in Guatemala which sell a product called IONDiesel which is 50ppm. (again info from their website)

Then it's pretty hairy until Chile/Argentina which sell 10ppm Diesel and DEF. Can't say for sure what the sulphur contents were between.

We used more DEF in Central America, Colombia, Ecuador, & Peru. Something like 1gal/1000miles. In Chile & Argentina we're using less DEF than we used in N. America.

We had less than 15k miles driven with mixed sulphur content diesel. We had zero technical issues, we simply used more DEF and we were prepared for that.

We bought about 15gallons of DEF in Texas to keep in the back and we've still got some in reserve. They sell it at gas stations where we are now in containers or at the pump.

I hope that anecdotal data point helps :)

myles

Since the 2017 van was purchased in Canada did you remove the selective catalytic reduction (SCR) systems and the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR)?

We purchased the van from MB in Baton Rouge, did the build out in Phoenix/Las Vegas, and drove to Canada, then back down. Our "official" starting point, where we stopped working and started our vacation, was in Medicine Hat, Alberta.

We did not tinker with any mechanical components of the van. It's all factory issue under the hood.

offthecuff

Questions for clarification -

Van is US Spec, purchased in Baton Rouge LA?

If van is US Spec, why does it need to be registered in a state with no VIN inspection?

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Questions for clarification -

Van is US Spec, purchased in Baton Rouge LA?

If van is US Spec, why does it need to be registered in a state with no VIN inspection?
Because it is currently in South America and hence cannot be presented for an inspection!

Keith.

myles

I have to book shipping back to the US, where I will keep it for about 18months for work and travel. Unless someone wants to buy it in Brazil for $49,500 USD. Below this price and it makes sense for me to ship and keep it.

Final mileage 49,000 miles
Available June 2nd
Pickup in Copacabana Rio de Janeiro

Top Bottom