So....how many miles do you have on yours?

Flagster

Before everyone jumps on the "low miles only used for vacation is great" bandwagon, so much depends upon how and where the truck is stored during the non-use period. Here in the road salt northeast one of the worst Dodge B series vans I ever owned was a 2001 purchased used at low miles from an owner that "just used it for towing". It lived the same life for my use. It had many, many odd failures. Much more than my other daily driver Dodge B series vans that were reliable ever had. The 2001 interior was in great shape when sold though.

vic
If Tucson is a good place to store airframes I think it might be one of the best places for a sprinter to "sit" idle...ours usually only sits about 3 weeks max at a time...
Honestly I don't know if I could find one speck of rust on our van...even the rock chips barely corrode...
I have to think this also translates to sensors/electrical connectors/etc as far as prolonging their useful lifespan before failure...

I had a 1987 toyota van in the mid 90s when living in upstate NY...that thing was so rusted out within a few years that one day I was driving along 81 between Watertown and Syracuse and the whole passenger slider door fell off...the supports had completely given up... we retrieved the door and fastened it back with galvanized framing straps haha and ran that van for another few years...rear seat passengers just had to enter through the hatch...
I miss that little van sometimes...especially the dual moon roofs and factory ice maker/cooler

bigb

2011 Winnebago Via 25Q on 2010 3500 Tucson, AZ
If Tucson is a good place to store airframes I think it might be one of the best places for a sprinter to "sit" idle..
It's one of the best places on the planet to store things, that's why they store all the planes here. That's why a lot of us drive older vehicles, they don't rust. Even the exhaust lasts forever and more often than not exhaust bolts loosen and fall out rather than rust in place. I am lucky enough to have a big garage in Tucson that I keep my Sprinter and my 2002 Powerstroke in, and it is well insulated and I can keep it reasonably warm in winter and cool in summer with both gas and electric heat and swamp cooling, (although I am stingy with the heat $$$). The only thing I have to stay on top of is regular use which can be a challenge with 4 vehicles. I would have a hard time living in a place where my vehicles disintegrated. I have a friend who has a house on the Sea of Cortez, he kept an S-10 Blazer there and year by year we watched it slowly melt. When the hood rusted through and caved in he finally got rid of it.

VanGoSki

My 2020 which has been on the road just over a year now has 38K miles on it. It doesn't sit around much. :wink:

bigb

2011 Winnebago Via 25Q on 2010 3500 Tucson, AZ
Not good for all things, however we grew up with one and still here to tell about it.
It's good when humidity is in the single digits. Keeps the wood and rubber from drying out, keeps me from drying out.

Top Bottom