Vaccuum System Filter- what is it and where?

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Okay... MB part number is 000 078 09 56 which crosses to Mopar 05080374AA, “Vacuum Sensor Filter” but the 2004 parts manual I’ve got doesn’t list it... :hmmm:

-dave

Last edited:

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
It is only fitted to the 2002 to 2004 OM612 engine with the vacuum operated turbo boost actuator and NOT the OM647 with the electronic actuator.

PS It is also fitted to other engines (and years) but the above is true for the USA spec T1N's.

Keith.

Eric Experience

It is simple logic, if you have a valve operating a device with vacuum then when the vacuum is no longer required air is let in to the device. This air has to be clean or the device will fill with dirt and stop working. So you must have a filter on all valves, The easiest one to see is on the brake booster. Eric.

B

billintomahawk

The vacuum vent filter.
Very interesting since I have an '02.

Does this filter need service, does it fail, where is it located?
I looked as best I could on mine, must be under the airbox in the vicinity of the boost actuator?

bill in tomahawk

FahrverSprinten

2004 NAFTA 2500
On my 2003 the vacuum vent filter is behind the heater control valve. A long hose connects it to the vacuum transducer (boost actuator) under the airbox. It's mounted vertically with the hose on the top. You can track it down by getting under the hood immediately after turning the engine off and listening for a quiet sucking sound. Someone on this forum suggested that any small engine fuel filter would work as a replacement, since only a small amount of air flows through it. I imagine that it is a maintenance item, like any filter.

Last edited:

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Does this have anything to do with the squishy / mushy brake situation that happens?
No, that is the normal pedal feel. Madness, but normal.
You can reassure yourself the system is free of air by stomping on the brakes a few times before starting the engine: you’ll quickly get a firm pedal with no sponginess (unless your brakes need bleeding). Then hold the pedal and start the engine, and feel the pedal turn to mush as it drops another inch or two under boost assist.
Thank you, Mother Benz.
(maybe it was to make drivers used to air brakes feel more at home?)

-dave

Added: if your brakes are FADING as you drive, your pads may be thin or the fluid may be old and wet, boiling in the calliper during continuous braking?

Last edited:

Top Bottom