Drain Torque Converter? - No plug NCV3

levedr

Just had my transmission service completed at 43k miles on '13 3500 ($450). The dealer only charged me for 3.5 qts of fluid. Did not drain converter? Should they have? I thought it was required.

pfflyer

Re: Drain Torque Converter?

I was told that it is not required or recommended by MB by a dealer so take that with a grain of salt. I don't recall the reason but they don't on any of their vehicles.

lindenengineering

On many applications these days especially on MB 7 speeders there is no plug on the T/C.
So you cannot drain it unless you use a special extractor machine from someone like Snap On Equipment to slurp it all out. Cost about $6500.

Ask the missus for one on a Christmas wish list perhaps?!!!:laughing:
Dennis

On many applications these days especially on MB 7 speeders there is no plug on the T/C.
Dennis
There have been many discussions in the T1N section about the importance of draining the TC during a transmission service. The consensus and even input from some professionals has been that including a TC drain is the best method. Given that there is a drain plug, maybe the TC drain is the easy and conservative approach, but really not needed? I have no data.

The above said, with no TC drain plug the T1N discussions don't apply.

My question to the forum.
For a DIY transmission service, is it worth the cost/effort to do a pan drain/filter change and then follow with another pan drain/refill some time later? Obviously the second pan drain will remove a mix of new and old fluid so the end result will not be a complete change, but it will increase the new fluid percentage.

Another approach would be to decrease the service interval miles/time.

BUT, one of my party lines has been that if the fluid is drained on a proper schedule, the removed fluid is not toxic to the machinery, it is still serviceable product. So maybe my questions aren't even necessary. :idunno:

I do know one thing. If I did change the fluid more frequently than recommended, I would not renew the filter on that same schedule.

:cheers: vic

sprinterPaul

So you cannot drain it unless you use a special extractor machine from someone like Snap On Equipment to slurp it all out. Cost about $6500.

Dennis
the OP has the 5 speed transmission.

That sounds odd. No plug on the 7 speed t/c?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 50714

My question to the forum.
For a DIY transmission service, is it worth the cost/effort to do a pan drain/filter change and then follow with another pan drain/refill some time later? Obviously the second pan drain will remove a mix of new and old fluid so the end result will not be a complete change, but it will increase the new fluid percentage.
IMHO, I believe it would be beneficial. Maybe see how much can be extracted through the dipstick tube before dropping the pan again a second time. I offer no data either.

Another approach would be to decrease the service interval miles/time.
Not only miles and time but operating conditions as well. For example, stop and go driving and towing a trailer. Again, just antidotal.

Last edited by a moderator:

lindenengineering

For info!
Sometimes you will come across transmissions that do NOT have plugs in torque converters .
When you see as many as 5 Sprinters daily, those with a no plug torque converter is not an unusual event.
We have even seen the same with the older T1N models.
Dennis

D

Deleted member 50714

For info!
Sometimes you will come across transmissions that do NOT have plugs in torque converters .
When you see as many as 5 Sprinters daily, those with a no plug torque converter is not an unusual event.
We have even seen the same with the older T1N models.
Dennis
But what if it has a torque converter drain plug, should the torque converter be drained?

showkey

Torque converter drain plugs ......stopped being common place, years ago with many manufacturers.

Other manufactures with no converter drains plugs.............for routine maintenance use the drain transmission, refill, drive around the block, drain transmission, refill. Done........

Course there’s the other manufactures use the factory fill and do not recommend any transmission service of any kind. That includes no fluid changes.

D

Deleted member 50714

Dennis
But what if it has a torque converter drain plug, should the torque converter be drained?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wi8Fv0AJA4

D

Deleted member 50714

Torque converter drain plugs ......stopped being common place, years ago with many manufacturers.

Other manufactures with no converter drains plugs.............for routine maintenance use the drain transmission, refill, drive around the block, drain transmission, refill. Done........

Course there’s the other manufactures use the factory fill and do not recommend any transmission service of any kind. That includes no fluid changes.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9SwtN49SOag

mikeme

2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6
as if anyone needs another data point, I drained the torque converter, and when I went to the local MB dealer to see if they would sell me a plug, they said they would, but it is special order.

(which tells me they do not use them in regular service)

Sprinter SS

My 2012 Sprinter (V6/5spd) had a torque converter drain plug. My 2011 GL350 (OM642/7 speed) has torque converter drain plug. Have not gotten to drain my 16 model van yet.

D

Deleted member 50714

Well, I worked for the gooberment and learned early, if it ain't supported with documentation, it's worthless.

Let's see what Mother says...OH SNAP! She says drain the torque converter.

Attachments

lindenengineering

I think you guys could talk a hind leg off !
This is simple!
If you think the shop hasn't done what you asked for call them!
Example
Ring Ring
Hello Mr Service Writer at Joe Blow Motors
I see from my bill that 3,5 qrts of fluid was charged to my bill /account
Does not 7 qrts fill the transmission after a service procedure?
Now shut up and wait for the answer!

Hello is this Dr Stangedriii's pediatric dentistry?
I see that my son had three filling yesterday and I was charged $500 on my credit card.
Records show that we had two cavities on #4 upper right and #2 lower left .
You also conducted a cavity filling on 3# and a charge was added for dental dentician syndrome ?
Can you explain please.
Again shut up and wait for the answer.

People make mistakes or overlook things--its human nature
Dennis

Top Bottom