Just purchased 05 with black death

itsasprinter

Hey!

Long story short this was my buddies 05 140 high top i did most of the maintenance for him in trade i got to use it, I'm remodeling my home so it was a life saver. he decided to sell to me this week it has 130k on the clock he got it at 119k from his brother. it only has some surface rust, zero dents and a slightly leaky windshield. It had a slight tick from time to time, I always thought it was a sticky injector well i was half right. i just learned about the black death. Wish me luck parts are on order!!

Attachments

tinman

If there's just one leaking, I'd leave the others alone.

Edit:

Dennis disagrees. He's way smarter than I am. Ignore me. Listen to him.

Last edited:

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
I’ve now done two seals in 18 months, so go ahead and buy a couple of bolts and seals for future leaks.
I pull the cover and check for coking at oil changes while the sump drains.

-dave

kansascitysprinters

t1n everything
I just did a black death fix on #1 for a friend. He now has it in #4.

Maybe this is a naive thought, but my thinking is that all the injectors have been subject to close to the same parameters over their lifespan, if one seal has failed, aren't the chances of the others failing under those same parameters fairly high?

lindenengineering

They should all be pulled out and resealed -THEN--The engine should be checked for localized overheating which causes premature copper injector seal washer failure.

Remember poor cooling system maintenance is what kills this engine and it often goes overlooked.
Dennis

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Failure of number 1 seal is often caused by corrosion, as water most easily gets down into the #1 injector well. For a DIY on a non critical usage vehicle; doing just the leaking seal(s) may be a good approach. For a business/mission critical vehicle, doing all the seals proactively may be the correct choice.

Baselining the cooling system is very important with unknown history.

itsasprinter

I have been soaking the bolts in Kroil for the last two days. i just started it up to move it and sure as **** #1 and #2 are in need of replacement. #1 has bubbles of kroil #2 is spraying diesel in the air. Thermostat was replaced 2 years ago, system flushed. This is only a toy i put 500 miles on it last year total. i think the short trips to HD and Menards are going to put a toll on it. Both stores are less than 4 miles from my house. i may have to take it on the express way more often to get it nice and hot.

MikeP

I have been soaking the bolts in Kroil for the last two days. i just started it up to move it and sure as **** #1 and #2 are in need of replacement. #1 has bubbles of kroil #2 is spraying diesel in the air. Thermostat was replaced 2 years ago, system flushed. This is only a toy i put 500 miles on it last year total. i think the short trips to HD and Menards are going to put a toll on it. Both stores are less than 4 miles from my house. i may have to take it on the express way more often to get it nice and hot.
Just my 2....
We seldom drive anymore. Our 03 Sprinter at least once every week to 10 days take it out for a drive to keep battery up and everything lubed.
Drive around neighborhood til warming up pretty good, transmission changing out and then out to highway to full operating temp and run at very least 20 miles after hitting operating temp and getting up to good speed to make sure everything is working, no matter season turn on and use everything, heat, A/C and make sure before heading home go though some town stop/go driving for transmission change out several times.
Might be over kill(knock wood) but do this for our 03 Sprinter and our 94 Nissan Kingcab 4x4, too. Neither one has over 58K miles each but chair lifts draw bit power so keep the battery and charging system happy as well as engine happy makes them last longer IMHO.

itsasprinter

Just my 2....
We seldom drive anymore. Our 03 Sprinter at least once every week to 10 days take it out for a drive to keep battery up and everything lubed.
Drive around neighborhood til warming up pretty good, transmission changing out and then out to highway to full operating temp and run at very least 20 miles after hitting operating temp and getting up to good speed to make sure everything is working, no matter season turn on and use everything, heat, A/C and make sure before heading home go though some town stop/go driving for transmission change out several times.
Might be over kill(knock wood) but do this for our 03 Sprinter and our 94 Nissan Kingcab 4x4, too. Neither one has over 58K miles each but chair lifts draw bit power so keep the battery and charging system happy as well as engine happy makes them last longer IMHO.
Now that sounds like a plan i don't think its over kill at all. Better to be safe than sorry!

Top Bottom