OM651 4 cyl - Impressive Construction!

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I did only couple of longer trips with my Sprinter, but even I knew the engine from sedan, was really nicely surprised with its performance in Sprinter.
After I bought it in San Diego, I was driving it home to Las Vegas - having several grades on my way. Most famous is Baker grade- about 14 miles long and with lot of burned spots on shoulders as with temperatures in triple digits most of the summer, it is real test for vehicles cooling system.
Empty Sprinter took 7 miles of this grade on 7th gear before switching to 6th gear.
Lately having done the conversion (my estimate 500 lb of cabinetry), I had 30 gallons of water + 2 extra batteries+ food + 4 people and we drove to 6500 ft elevation. Never felt lack of power.
With OM651 in sedan, I take the Baker grade at 80 mph, 115F and no sweat.

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Yes mine neither, and the Prius snail reputation always goes with it, no matter what .
In fact it can work to your advantage at times !
To cement that image !
One of my then high school student sons (who had just passed his driving test) drove one of those Gen 1 Prius' I mentioned through his 25 MPH school zones at 71 MPH & clocked by a patrol car. (teenagers we have all been there !!!)
Landing in court in front of a magistrate, the officer presented the evidence and the ticket.
The lady magistrate dismissed the charge stating that a Prius was incapable of doing that sort of speed.
I stated to my son Dennis Jr something passed on by his grandfather:-
"Son if you fell in a cesspit you would come up smelling of violets !"

By coincidence a 3500 Box truck & OM651 came in yesterday with a reported timing chain noise problem.
Turned out it was seriously low on oil having been driven down from Wyoming.
I told the owner I am astonished it hasn't seized up ,& it seems none the worst for it low to a nonexistent oil level. ERK
Violets again & my late Dad's immortal expressions!

Dennis

travelator

I did only couple of longer trips with my Sprinter, but even I knew the engine from sedan, was really nicely surprised with its performance in Sprinter.
After I bought it in San Diego, I was driving it home to Las Vegas - having several grades on my way. Most famous is Baker grade- about 14 miles long and with lot of burned spots on shoulders as with temperatures in triple digits most of the summer, it is real test for vehicles cooling system.
Empty Sprinter took 7 miles of this grade on 7th gear before switching to 6th gear.
Lately having done the conversion (my estimate 500 lb of cabinetry), I had 30 gallons of water + 2 extra batteries+ food + 4 people and we drove to 6500 ft elevation. Never felt lack of power.
With OM651 in sedan, I take the Baker grade at 80 mph, 115F and no sweat.
Great to hear that, thanks! How many hp does your Sprinter have?

travelator

The lady magistrate dismissed the charge stating that a Prius was incapable of doing that sort of speed.
I stated to my son Dennis Jr something passed on by his grandfather:-
"Son if you fell in a cesspit you would come up smelling of violets !"
hahaha that's a great story! And a great expression! Made it endure (like your son's luck!)

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
My Sprinter is 161 HP rated from what I can check.
I have opposite magistrate story. Years ago I used to drive VW DIESEL TRUCK with whooping 44 HP.
The truck was capable of doing 75 mph only with tail wind and strong one.
Yet I got pulled over for going 90 mph uphill.
Took the case to court, but unfortunately manufacturers don't list top speed for the vehicles. So I presented documentation showing 44 HP, yet the judge ruled in favor of cop.
And no- the 90 mph ticket did not get mi higher resale price on VW.

Last edited:

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
It would be great if this OM651 is the engine is the 4-cylinder diesel that Mercedes-Benz USA says will be added to the Sprinters in USA again, likely 2021MY. Looks like it is more robust than the newer OM654 that has an aluminum engine block. The older OM651 has a cast iron block and proven option to mount second alternator. Not sure if there could be a second alternator on the new OM654 as it has a lot of emissions equipment built on the engine.

D

Deleted member 50714

Yeah, I'm skeptical about that aluminum block. Never own one but I understand Vega had aluminum block that didn't do well and it was a gasser.

Top Bottom