Desperately seeking Bay Area Sprinter Mechanic!

photosf

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good Sprinter mechanic in the San Francisco Bay Area? We live in The City and were going to Hayward to Hartzeim, but they have gone out of business. I just called the next closest dealer which is in Richmond and they are double the price we were paying for a tune up. Yikes!! We also need a brake job. Any leads or experience with Bay Area mechanics who work on Sprinters are greatly appreciated.

WanderLust

I just took mine to Stoneridge Dodge in Dublin for first service. It cost $580! I will not go back. My regular mechanic gave me a hard time saying he will do it for half that price. I took if there because it still is under warranty and had a few small issues. They basically said they were the result of the conversion of the chassis to a motorhome and blew me off. I do not think I will go back there unless I have a major warranty issue.

asather

Hi,

Did you ever find a good Sprinter mechanic in San Francisco? I used to get my 2006 Sprinter services at Hartzheim but like you said, they went out of business.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

- Andrew

chris118

Bay Area Sprinter owners unite!
We need to find a good mechanic!

So far the one issue I have had while home in the Bay was in the south bay and I took it to Stevens Creek Dodge in San jose.
It was by my moms place, so that was helpful, and they were nice folks, but in the end, it is a dealership.

When I visit friends up in Portland, I have stopped at Upscale Automotive to get work done. Man I wish they were down here... Honest and knowledgeable.

So far all the easier stuff I have taken care of myself(oil change, basic stuff, shocks).
My hopes are to work on the thing myself with the help of the DoktorA D.A.D system(Got it up and running last month).

With Mercedes now selling sprinters, I wonder if local independent SF mercedes mechanics will be willing to work on them?

Your Sprinter Guy

Your Sprinter Guy
Sprinter owners, i know it's tough out there finding a good mehanic. I suggest for the time being, take a nice 90 minute drive to Rocklin, Ca.
When you get here you will be greted promptly by a knowledgeable service advisor. You can also have breakfast, lunch or dinner at our Bistro 33 while you wait. Watch the flat panel t.v.'s and relax while we take care of the dirty work. Thank you and we look forward to helping. Loren Wilson Mercedes Benz Rocklin.

jacksonsprinter

Although I have not used them, Collie Autoworks comes highly recommended.

Collie Autoworks
585 Irwin St
San Rafael, CA 94901
(415) 721-7915
www.collieautoworks.com

Rick L
I have been there for oil and transmission service- I live in Wyoming and my family is in SF. Excellent service, and they seem to know the vehicle well- I have an 06 T1N.

I will be going back in two weeks for another oil service and check up, I recommend them highly.

chrisrad99

I just had a bad experience at Steven's Creek Dodge where I was quoted $2K+ for a transmission valve body replacement based on p2203 and p2225 error codes. I asked the service manager how did he know that the entire valve body needed to be replaced as opposed to cleaning, connector plate, or connector.... Hi just repeated what the tech said...

I take all my cars to Mid Auto on Reed Ave in Santa Clara. Zoran is the only mechanic that I know that shows you the bad parts and takes you through what needs to be replaced.

Chris

BrianR

If MiD Auto turns out to be a good source for Sprinter work they're about 200 yards from the CalTrain station. Pretty convenient if need to leave vehicle overnight.

Hello,

Beshoff MotorCars in San Jose is your official Factory Authorized Service Center for your Sprinter! We service ALL Sprinter Brands (Dodge, Freightliner, Mercedes-Benz) and all model years back to 2000. Come experience amazing customer service at competitive pricing. We honor extended warranty policies by Chrystler. Visit us on our website at www.BeshoffMotorCars.com or call our Sprinter Van Manager Will at 408.239.2329. Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

The Beshoff Motorcars Team

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
Hello,

Beshoff MotorCars in San Jose is your official Factory Authorized Service Center for your Sprinter! We service ALL Sprinter Brands (Dodge, Freightliner, Mercedes-Benz) and all model years back to 2000. Come experience amazing customer service at competitive pricing. We honor extended warranty policies by Chrystler. Visit us on our website at www.BeshoffMotorCars.com or call our Sprinter Van Manager Will at 408.239.2329. Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

The Beshoff Motorcars Team
This ought to give Sprinter owners great confidence in this Service Center given that there were no NAFTA Sprinters until 2001 - and all of those were sold to FedEx, and no 612 was CA certified.

This ought to give Sprinter owners great confidence in this Service Center given that there were no NAFTA Sprinters until 2001 - and all of those were sold to FedEx, and no 612 was CA certified.
Sprinter was brought to the US in 2000. Although Sprinter Vans were not available in CA until 2004 because of California EPA requirements, we are authorized and have the equipment to service all model years including pre 2004. If FedEx would like to bring their vehicles into service, we would welcome the opportunity.

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
Sprinter was brought to the US in 2000.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa5356/is_200107/ai_n21475272/?tag=content;col1
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/02/a...e-it-s-the-mercedes-of-cargo-vans.html?src=pm

Plus I own a 2002 since 2002 and I am very aware of when the Sprinter was introduced into the US. So - again - here is a service center that claims knowledge of Sprinters citing wrong information and when corrected still insists they are correct. That is an indicator to potential customers that they should take into consideration.

Last edited:

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Just dropped my baby at the Freightliner dealer near the Oakland Coliseum and will let you know what happens.

-Randy

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
So it took two days, I dropped it Thursday afternoon and the RV was ready for pickup Friday night, and I picked it up Saturday afternoon at the Golden Gate Truck Center. When I dropped it they had said they were two days backed up.

IMG_1997.jpg

There was some confusion if they had changed the differential fluid. It took a little time to pick it up and the total was $800 and there wasn't even a sticker on the windshield saying when the next service was due, the windshield had bird poo and reside from rain, and the work order didn't show what precisely was done. They did give me the computer printout of all the diagnostic events the computer had tracked, good to know I didn't clear that with the Ultragauge OBD II scanner I have.

I had previously had the oil changed for just over $100 plus the cost of oil filter they didn't have in stock at my local Jiffy Lube like place. It seems a LOT to pay when I don't know what they did exactly. I asked what they do makes it worth the extra cost and they said "We're backed by Freightliner"... But when I asked them initially to check out the rumble strip noise, something someone here said was fixed after their tune-up at Rocklin, CA Mercedes Benz, they didn't know what I was talking about, saying they were New to Sprinter... They did a ONE TIME reduction of the labor rate to $99/hr for me.

I haven't driven it much yet, so I will let you know what I find as I go forward. Probably read the owner's manual more myself to be sure it's in the dealer's hands when it needs to be but take it elsewhere other times. On my 2000 Honda Insight I just take it every other time to the dealer, got a new battery pack out of them but could have paid for the battery pack cash if I had saved the money they charge for tune ups. Perhaps Sprinters are too easy to maintain and I should just do it myself after reading this group.

-Randy

velofleche

Just happened upon this thread. Also in the bay area and in 'desperate' need of a knowledgeable mechanic. Any more suggestions?

1hen2ducks

2006 SHC & DAD owner
Has anybody besides me tried
Murray's Truck repair in San Mateo ?
Ask for Kieran, 650-343-8801

Pleasant folks there.

glas1700

I know someone who took their Winnebago Sprinter motorhome to Beshoff, an MB dealer in San Jose, and had good results. I don't know why they claim to service Sprinters back to 2000, but this person was happy with their service. I'll consider them when I decide to take my Navion in for a brake fluid flush.

Byron
07 Navion

Top Bottom