Desperately seeking Bay Area Sprinter Mechanic!

I had some work done by Ben in Santa Rosa mobile mechanic. He has sprinter stocked with tools and parts and can do service calls. His experience and specialization on sprinters is very clear. He mostly work on HVAC systems now but also does sprinters.

Ben
+1 (707) 217-8250

2005 Dodge Sprinter
Get out there and do it

michaelh

2015 Unity TB
Thanks to all the previous contributors to this thread. I'm trying to find a competent, fair value shop. :thumbup:
We've had service at MB Fairfield and at MB Pleasanton. Both follow MBUSA's horrendous pricing guidelines. At MB Pleasanton, I was unhappy that MB said it would take 3 hours of labor to replace the differential cover, so they reduced that for me - most appreciated but still horribly expensive. MB Fairfield have been a bit of a mixed bag. They have done the routine services for us (at stratospheric prices) but the only non-routine thing they had to handle, they got wrong. Our check engine light came on, I filled the DEF but that wasn't it. They reset the DEF sensor and said it was good to go but within 50 miles the check engine light was back on. They got it in the shop again and said they replaced the engine knock sensor, which seemed to fix the problem.
They charge around $750 for the "A" service, so I won't be going back to either of these dealers as my "B" service is coming up.

lindenengineering

Thanks to all the previous contributors to this thread. I'm trying to find a competent, fair value shop. :thumbup:
We've had service at MB Fairfield and at MB Pleasanton. Both follow MBUSA's horrendous pricing guidelines. At MB Pleasanton, I was unhappy that MB said it would take 3 hours of labor to replace the differential cover, so they reduced that for me - most appreciated but still horribly expensive. MB Fairfield have been a bit of a mixed bag. They have done the routine services for us (at stratospheric prices) but the only non-routine thing they had to handle, they got wrong. Our check engine light came on, I filled the DEF but that wasn't it. They reset the DEF sensor and said it was good to go but within 50 miles the check engine light was back on. They got it in the shop again and said they replaced the engine knock sensor, which seemed to fix the problem.
They charge around $750 for the "A" service, so I won't be going back to either of these dealers as my "B" service is coming up.
Trying to find a fair value shop/service is your goal.
OK This piques some interest as a provider of vehicle auto service.

So some primary questions because this is important as a consumer.
1) What do YOU consider is fair value charge out rate?

2) Do you know how a charge out rate is determined?

3) Using dealer "A" what was the quote horrendous charge out rate, you didn't specify?

4) Did you question why they charged 3 hours for a specific job which is 1,25 hours of book time. Did they have a legitimate answer?

5)Do you know why dealerships (any US dealership brand) are sometimes like chiropractors and have to have a go at the same issue several times over?

6)Do you know it takes between 70 to around 220 miles to show up a NOx fault?

7) Why is a mobile service provider cheaper than a dealer or other fixed brick & mortar repair shop?

8) Does a cheap and competent repair shops always go together?
How much would that factor affect your decisions to select a business offering a service? How much of a guarantee to do you expect to get from a specific repair/service establishment?

9) Have you ever asked a service provider if they carry liability garage keepers insurance in case they damage your vehicle while in their care ?

Dennis

uebermorgentau

I had good experience with Moran, too. any other leads for good Sprinter service & repair in the Bay Area - particularly knowledgable in T1Ns? Thank you so much

Thornezilla

Bump! I may try Moran in Berkeley. Took our "new" 2011 Freightliner Sprinter Sportsmobile to Collie in San Rafael, and they seem to have the experience with Sprinters -- plenty of them in their lot and shop. They seemed a bit mainstream and upscale for me, and the guy at the front desk and phones wasn't very technical. Got the van back with tire pressure of 81/rear and 57/front, apparently as a result of one mechanic's broken tire gage as they say they use the door sticker numbers of 70/47.

The South Bay is just too far (meaning too much traffic) to regularly use for us North and East Bay van owner, but it sure sounds like there are more resources down there. Anyone try Sturken Auto Body / RV in San Jose? I talked to the owner and he seemed pretty upfront, won't give quotes over the phone but insists on seeing the van in person first. https://www.sturken.com/

Kajtek1

2015 long/tall limo RV 2.1l
We've had service at MB Fairfield and at MB Pleasanton. Both follow MBUSA's horrendous pricing guidelines.
I've been using MB of Fairfield for parts supplier for years.
Even after moving to Las Vegas, I arranged new key with them as that saved me about $300 on keyless go, who needed programming - comparing what Vegas dealers quote.
Can't vouch much for labor estimates, but the key programming was low, they deleted lost keys from car memories, reprogram TPMS and check tire pressure. I think pressure check is required by the law in CA, but still nice gesture.

lindenengineering

Oh this thread with "desperately seeking" !!
For me I read (*as I always do) key word , I want cheap bargain basement auto repairs & servicing by people who are working for minimum wage & no benes .
But it all must be of top quality !!
As I read between the lines the contributor reached a point of desperation when frankly reasonable repairs & service comes at a price was not conducive to his budget.

A suggestion !
If you are close to the US /Mexican border why not try down there?
Competent mechanics, cheaper labor/parts rates for both aspects of service & repairs.
Explore that option if you are budgetary challenged--skint in British English.

As a footnote on tyre gauges!!!
These days you must have an electronic gauge sets to "do" tyre pressures in a Pro shop .
Although they all have same the shape format & they come with each tool suppliers colors & logos they are all made in China the same manufacturer.
Snap On versions in red have been subject to a recall for sudden inaccuracies.
Matco also in red won't warranty this stuff,& when its done its done.
Same with Napa in Royal Blue but nothing "royal" about it!

Therefore it's incumbent in a shop to ensure the gauge is accurate but there is no standard, NOR a US manufacturer to basically back it up because it comes at a price .
So in short it means buying a new gauge @ $85 minimum every three months ,and you guys want cheap precise auto repairs ! :D
Dennis

Rockclmbr

I'm currently seeking a local Bay Area mechanic to perform a brake fluid drain/fill on a 2012 Sprinter. Local to East Bay (Fremont, CA) is a must.

Thanks!

DefyInertia

‘17 4x4 Moto Camping Van
Let me know if you find one! (Danville)

I’m sure Dennis will chime in any moment now informing you that you should be willing to pay whatever price they want to charge you, and if you don’t like that, you should drive to Mexico for your oil changes. 😜

quality, cheap, fast....choose two. Haha

Thornezilla

I had very good luck with my 2011 Sprinter Sportsmobile at El Cerrito Tires and Auto Body -- despite the "generic" name. ;-) They did the transmission fluid & filter change that Collie in San Rafael didn't want to do, drained the rear diff and changed the seal, checked the front wheel bearings, and torqued down all the bolts on the front struts, rear shocks and new anti-sway bar that I had a buddy install.

They're in the triangle of commercial shops where 580 and 80 split off in Albany. The manager Steve was recommended to me by Joe at Camp Quest here in Richmond.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter

Top Bottom