How to remove the rear door panel and inner handle

Thanks for all this info. Now to take this issue a step further.....

I'm replacing all of the 3/32" or whatever it is in in mm black panels with custom made panels to match the interior siding. For the panels I trim some barn wood to 1/4" thick and laminate it to 1/8" plywood, and use the plastic panels as templates when available. I use rivet nuts in the existing tab holes and 1/4-20 black hex head screws to secure it. Looks sharp all around.

So with regards to the PS rear barn door, with that handle trim on the stock plastic panels being held in place with locking plastic tabs, and that black plastic panel being roughly 3/32" of an inch thick, I'm wondering how to reinstall that handle mechanism trim onto my panels (3/8" thick) so that everything clicks into place again. I have some ideas in my head but before I experiment I'm wondering if anyone has already tackled this?

Attachments

Last edited:

mattrsullivan

What did you do to get it installed?

I was thinking you could cut out a portion of the existing panel and then inset into your wood panels.

What did you do to get it installed?

I was thinking you could cut out a portion of the existing panel and then inset into your wood panels.
Was way easier than I thought. I overthought it. I used the existing panel to know where the handle backing would insert and traced that onto the new panel and the handle backing on that so I knew how much holding wood I'd have. I carefully cut out the inside lines and then inserted the handle backing. I had to fiddle with it and cut some more to get it in correctly, being careful not to cut away too much of the holding wood. Once in (after reconnecting the cables, which is easy), I drilled small holes in the corners, countersunk those wholes and screwed it into place with black round countersunk screws.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

wtofd

... I use rivet nuts in the existing tab holes and 1/4-20 black hex head screws to secure it...
Those rivnuts look great. I'm doing the same thing. Do you worry about the nuts being placed in those indentations? In other words, is there any need for a washer or spacer between the rivnut and the wood panel?

Those rivnuts look great. I'm doing the same thing. Do you worry about the nuts being placed in those indentations? In other words, is there any need for a washer or spacer between the rivnut and the wood panel?
The riv nut has a flange that fits that indentation perfectly. What I have to be much more concerned with regard to the riv nuts is A) making sure there's enough air in the compressor after doing a couple that it completes the crushing process, or I'm left with a half crushed, spinning riv nut, 2) going slow and easy with the trigger, 3) making sure the gun is held at a 90 on both axes so the riv nut is being applies straight in as the back crushes, again to avoid it from being half baked and spinning, and D) having plenty of replacement mandrels for the quarter/20 screws. Those mandrels are just 2"socket head screws and I buy 20 at a time from Grainger. Any problem with just one riv nut and you have to replace the mandrel.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
This was all great info, but I’m really struggling to get mine properly re-installed after insulating the passenger door. The top part of that door opener is fastened but I can’t get the bottom part to secure at all. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Been a while since I did my rear door insulation but I don’t recall any issues getting the bottom in place.
My first move would be to double check verify no new insulation is blocking or in the way of the panel, latch handle et al, or plastic panel fasteners.

Switchback

Nearly everything aft of the cab is supposed to be the same from the NCV3 to the VS30 but one thing isn't: how to remove the rear door inner handle so you can get the panel off. So here's a write-up after figuring it out on my 2019 144.

My van has the cargo panels option in the entire interior but I assume the rear door panel is the same for all. The panel is held in place with those plastic thingys you pop out with a trim panel remover tool. But the panel can't be removed without removing the door handle.

The new handle is a solid unit, the trim part you see is not separate. Here's how you get if off:

1) Remove all the panel trim clips

2) Rotate the panel 90 degrees and push it upwards until you get a gap at the top of the door handle unit (sorry, no pic)

3) Right in the middle of the unit is a small lever that you push or pull so you can slide the whole door handle unit to the left and then it pops out (see pic)

4) That's it, you're done. Do the opposite to re-install.

Hope this helps someone.
Nearly everything aft of the cab is supposed to be the same from the NCV3 to the VS30 but one thing isn't: how to remove the rear door inner handle so you can get the panel off. So here's a write-up after figuring it out on my 2019 144.

My van has the cargo panels option in the entire interior but I assume the rear door panel is the same for all. The panel is held in place with those plastic thingys you pop out with a trim panel remover tool. But the panel can't be removed without removing the door handle.

The new handle is a solid unit, the trim part you see is not separate. Here's how you get if off:

2) Rotate the panel 90 degrees and push it upwards until you get a gap at the top of the door handle unit (sorry, no pic)

3) Right in the middle of the unit is a small lever that you push or pull so you can slide the whole door handle unit to the left and then it pops out (see pic)

Hope this helps someone.
Do you have / can you share a picture of how the bottom half of this pice mounts? I can get the top piece in/out but am struggling to get the bottom part to secure

Hope this helps someone.
Sorry, nut sure if I posted this question in the right post - do you have pics of how the bottom part of this mechanism secures? I can’t get mine to stay in place during the re-install. The top part is locked in place - see pic, thanks!
firmly in place, thanks very much

Attachments

Switchback

Been a while since I did my rear door insulation but I don’t recall any issues getting the bottom in place.
My first move would be to double check verify no new insulation is blocking or in the way of the panel, latch handle et al, or plastic panel fasteners.
I did that, but thanks. There are two bottom tabs that look like they slide into two gaps in the metal, but they don’t line up, and one (on the left) looks too big to fit into that spot. I’ll also try moving some insulation but I don’t believe that to be the issue

Attachments

mve

2019 Crew 4x4 HR
Is the plastic slider in the open or closed position? Looks like it’s in the wrong position from the picture.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Sorry, I’m stumped and just flat don’t remember how the latch handle re attached. Something is either blocking it or it needs to go in a specific way. Maybe try inserting bottom edge of the latch handle 1st?
Move lock switch to other position? Just guesses.

Switchback

I appreciate your fast reply. I took it all apart again and it looks like I was able to effectively seat & lock in the the bottom portion first, then slide the top in, so I hope I’m now all set. THANK YOU again though!

Was way easier than I thought. I overthought it. I used the existing panel to know where the handle backing would insert and traced that onto the new panel and the handle backing on that so I knew how much holding wood I'd have. I carefully cut out the inside lines and then inserted the handle backing. I had to fiddle with it and cut some more to get it in correctly, being careful not to cut away too much of the holding wood. Once in (after reconnecting the cables, which is easy), I drilled small holes in the corners, countersunk those wholes and screwed it into place with black round countersunk screws.
[/QUOTE]
I’m in the same boat now. I’ve cut ¼” birch ply panels for the door but am struggling to figure out how to get the handles back on. I don’t think recessing/routering out 5/32” sounds fun… can you explain what you did? Is your handle held to the frame by the plastic clips or just to the panel using the 4 screws?

Attachments

cheapren

I took off the panel out without removing the latch handle. But i just can't put it back in. Tried youtube, but no video found about installing the panel.

Here is how I put it back finally:
1. remove the latch handle, like stevesvans said.
2. wiggle the panel through the handle and fasten the 2 clips at bottom corners.
3. push the handle back: start from the bottom and then make sure the top part is pushed in place (slightly left to the desired position); slide the handle to the right. The latch will catch.
4. fasten the other clips.

Top Bottom