How to remove the rear door panel and inner handle

Nearly everything aft of the cab is supposed to be the same from the NCV3 to the VS30 but one thing isn't: how to remove the rear door inner handle so you can get the panel off. So here's a write-up after figuring it out on my 2019 144.

My van has the cargo panels option in the entire interior but I assume the rear door panel is the same for all. The panel is held in place with those plastic thingys you pop out with a trim panel remover tool. But the panel can't be removed without removing the door handle.

The new handle is a solid unit, the trim part you see is not separate. Here's how you get if off:

1) Remove all the panel trim clips

2) Rotate the panel 90 degrees and push it upwards until you get a gap at the top of the door handle unit (sorry, no pic)

3) Right in the middle of the unit is a small lever that you push or pull so you can slide the whole door handle unit to the left and then it pops out (see pic)

4) That's it, you're done. Do the opposite to re-install.

Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

paintrain

Kudos for taking the time to write up a simple and effective 'how to' post....WITH PICS AND A RED ARROW. :clapping:

Here's to hoping more folks take the time to author posts like this.

Well done! :cheers:

Pastoril

Very helpful, you just saved me much grief and doubtless prevented me from breaking some trim. Many thanks.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Nearly everything aft of the cab is supposed to be the same from the NCV3 to the VS30 but one thing isn't: how to remove the rear door inner handle so you can get the panel off. So here's a write-up after figuring it out on my 2019 144.

My van has the cargo panels option in the entire interior but I assume the rear door panel is the same for all. The panel is held in place with those plastic thingys you pop out with a trim panel remover tool. But the panel can't be removed without removing the door handle.

The new handle is a solid unit, the trim part you see is not separate. Here's how you get if off:

1) Remove all the panel trim clips

2) Rotate the panel 90 degrees and push it upwards until you get a gap at the top of the door handle unit (sorry, no pic)

3) Right in the middle of the unit is a small lever that you push or pull so you can slide the whole door handle unit to the left and then it pops out (see pic)

4) That's it, you're done. Do the opposite to re-install.

Hope this helps someone.
Thanks for the great info. 👍🏽 Removed mine just now, for whatever reason did not have to release lever or catch. As I gently but firmly (gbf) pulled outward and rotated slightly left toward the van interior as you tipped us off I could see the opening was allowing the panel to pass over the latch release trim so out it came pretty easily. Perhaps due to the heat today. But do be gentle with it. Most of the orange “plastic thingys” were still in the door so I removed them with trim tool and reinserted into thier rightful homes on the panel. Figured it would be easier install that way so that the conical part can pop into the respective holes in the door as designed. Being toasty warm today with the sun shining on the panel I think that helped make the plastic bits more pliable and cooperative. If it was cold out I’m pretty sure I’d be replacing some trim plastic thingys! And yes it appears Helmet, Dietrich or Axel at the factory spilled coffee on the lower area the door interior and didn’t bother to clean it up (der faule Messenmacher!)

Attachments

Top Bottom