Oil filter question

acvr4

Hey guys I don't need to change mine for a while but I see a listing on ebay for a bundle of 10 for $61.90 (total with Shipping) which is the best price I found. Anyone here buy them before?
There is a post on the Yahoo group about the fleece oil filters going on. It appears that they are for the gas motors, but there are a few site that list them for the 2.7l diesel - any suggestion here?
I want to order up some filters but just want to check on what to get :thumbup:

Andy C

That is where I get my filters from. Same type as the dealer's have. She sends the Mann filters but the frams will also fit.

They come with 4 O rings, I guess the extra is for the dip stick but not sure.

Steady

" The windshield is bigger than the rear view mirror because it is more important to see where you are going than where you have been."

pgr

Oil filter link?

That is a good price - do you have a link?

BTW - the Frams' are also Mann (at least that's what they say on them).

pgr

acvr4

Here is the Ebay auction number 190080083494. Just type it in the search.
It seems to be a continuiously relisted item. Seems like a deal. I'll order some up in the near future.

nocky

I just go to my Dodge dealer they have been running around $11 with the o-rings no shipping or handling

sikwan

06 Tin Can
My dealer wants $15. :wtf:

I say that's a good buy unless you can find it cheaper than $6.19 a piece.

Seek

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Watch out for this Ebay seller. I ordered the 10 supposedly OEM filters, but got 10 Fram oil filters (CH9301). :thumbdown:

filter.jpg

Maybe the sentence "OEM quality filters" is a little misleading in the body. Even if they buy it back (what the listing says), they'll still make money because they're not paying for shipping.

Turkeys!!! :yell:

Hmmm, what to do now...:thinking:

Seek

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen

stp57

Great study. So, except for the nifty hand grip on Fram can filters, they appear to be at the bottom of the heap. STP filters are also Bosch flters, and seem to be a decent filter. Now we just need to see the specs on the Mann filter.
Steve

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
One by one the steps will follow the sun into the forum
Please except this explanation as fact
US DOE and European AFL specs for oils are different that's what filters are for
You asked for Mann your request has been provided for:thumbup:
PS go easy I'm not God:bounce:
Mann W719/5
Richard

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
I don't know about today, but when the FRAM CH9301s were first sold in the US, they were manufactured by MANN, the OEM supplier of the Mercedes oil filter. I bought a case when Rock Auto was the first to introduce a non-OEM filter in the US in 2003, I haven't bought one recently. Notwithstanding, I would not necessarily attribute the study of the FRAM canister oil filters with the CH9301s.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Here's the Fram CH9301.
IMGP0002.JPG

The glue that attaches the end caps to the paper media.
IMGP0007.JPG

What I like about the Fram are the end caps.
IMGP0008.JPG
It has a rubbery gasket to seal off the center.

I don't remember seeing it on the OEM Mann filter that I installed below.

It's obvious that the endcaps of the OEM filters do not match that of the Fram.

I wish I had an OEM filter to compare with side by side. HK is right. It's hard to compare this filter to the one's from the website because the Sprinter filter is just the filter element. Also, these filters are made in South Africa.

The one question I have is the quality of the paper media and the o-rings. :idunno:

The seller is willing to return the full amount of $61.90. Of course, I still have to pay for the ship back. What would you do? I'm leaning towards returning them because it just irks me that they state OEM and I get Fram. :wtf:

Seek

acvr4

Last edited:

stp57

I happen to have a STP & a Mann filter. Both filters are virtually the same size, but the STP has almost twice as many pleats as the Mann filter. The STP has plastic caps with a 1/8" thick felt type seal at both ends. The Mann's end caps are made of some kind of composite & it's pleats appear to be designed almost like a quilt & it also appears to have a paper thin seal on the ends. The STP claims to filter particles as small a 1/1000 mm. Mann doesn't say.
BTW, seeing that deisel (& especially bio- deisel) is supposed to be hard on rubber, do you think Fram's rubber seals are such a good idea?
Steve

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
The study link is an old one , where one is for Mopar the other is for the German side,and both have different standards and quality's if you had the time to read the entire site a few times , it makes much more sense to understand
The link deals with filters in general it's not that specific but as the writer said he's a ordinary guy who has given his opinion and he did a good job of it too, I might add.
Filter thickness and extra plates at the end of the day may or may not give a better long term result and the filter needs to be based on the micron thickness, I did not find another reference to that and this is very important to todays engines especially Diesel if your trying to keep the vehicle as carbon neutral as possiable,
rubbered seals bio fuels, if its ethanol based there would not be a problem up to at least b-10 if its veggie based, fuel, I'll guarantee something else will give well before the seal breaks down.
I'll see if I can get any updates from the CSRIO as to standards that have an ISO link, if so I' run up another post, when you look at what's about which is an awful lot it makes you think as the filter plays a major part of engine oil refinement.
Interesting point as indicated the oil study link is an older one micron ratings in Europe where metric is used , filtration is worded by HEPA up to 97.7 dust effective on dry elements, or if a wet system which uses a wet type element it's 92% effective.

Richard

Last edited:

Top Bottom