Rear pillar 12v outlet removal question

IPT

I've taken the rear pillar off with the optional 12v outlet in it (2018 Passenger van, 144" high roof). The clip that secures the outlet to the plastic pillar cover has me baffled. They only obvious clip I found seems to just open a "door" that would allow removal of the individual leads. I suspect there is a mechanism, technique, or clip that would allow me to take the socket out of the plastic part itself, and not just remove two (presumably live) wires. Anyone have insight, before I end up breaking something :).

autostaretx

Erratic Member
It's quite typical for items like the metallic socket to have spring-tabs that engage with holes in the plastic "sheath".

They're designed for one-way motion: insertion to assemble, never to be withdrawn.

The plastic sheath will also have wedge-shaped tabs that engage with the Sprinter's sheet metal ... press in to assemble, exceedingly difficult to remove.

Depending upon the design of the "wedges" .. .some respond well to a hose-clamp surrounding the plastic, applying quite a bit of force to depress the wedges ... then it's a dance to extract the plastic from the Sprinter as the hose clamp is ever-so-slightly loosened.
Other designs respond to individual wedge pushing with something like a screwdriver (from the side, on the "inside" of the sheet metal) as you rock the plastic to catch each depressed wedge (in turn) with the edge of its sheet metal hole.

For "common" items, like metal pins in a connector body, there are frequently available "tools" designed to sneak in past the tabs and then help depress them as additional forces push the pin back out of the plastic connector body. Each connector company makes their own specially-shaped tools.

--dick

IPT

Well it turns out I stumbled on how the clips works and in hindsight I probably worded my question wrong. The "plastic" I was referring to was the base of the 12v socket, not the trim piece. I just wanted to detach the cable from the outlet (or outlet from the trim) so I could move the trim away while I was working back there and not yank the wires.

Anyway, it was a 90 degree clip. In my attempts I never pulled up but rather out (as the flanges on the side appear like it came out in tat manner). I was actually just pulling up on the wires to see how easily they would come out individually and the plug loosened revealing the motion.

Here it was with the only release I could figure out at the time.

Here it was once the plug came out.

Last edited:

Neil2

Neil2
A tech just broke the cover off of my seat base outlet and I've been wondering if/how it can be R&R with one I don't need as much (I've got about 6 of the buggers.). Did you notice anything while dickering with your's? BTW, I want to avoid climbing into my suspension seat bases and causing a bigger project. :hmmm:

Farfrumwork

I have a similar dilemma, but the situation is reversed. I installed the rear trim panels and was trying to remove the 12v outlet from the sheet metal and install in the trim panel....

I couldn't get the outlet out without tearing it apart, so I unplugged it and am going to install a new 12v outlet in the trim panel (I left the original one in place, just unplugged).

My question is - what is the PN for this 12v outlet? (I'd like to be able to just plug in the factory connector). I cant find a MB part online, at least its not clear if I have the right PN (is 906-825-00-80 correct?) It looks just like what IPT posted above.

2017 144" 4x4 with Aux batt and rear 12v option.

thanks~

autostaretx

Erratic Member
From the 2007 catalog, i think the one in the driver's seat base is
Dodge: 68011041AA which is MB # A 906 825 01 80
(item 34 on page 8-510) note that doesn't agree with Farfrumwork's number. (see below)

and the one in the rear of the van is Dodge: 68011041AA (yes, the same number!) (item 11, page 8-1150)
That same page also has item 16 also being a 68011041AA

(just for completeness, the dash board outlet is 68010399AA which is A 906 825 00 80 )
((page 08A-115, item 13))

--dick
reference file: http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/reference/07vb-parts manual.pdf

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I ordered 906-825-00-80. We'll see if it's correct....
Please do follow up ... i await with bated breath. :drool:

I suspect that either one will fit in a round hole, but the connector shape may differ.

--dick
p.s. ok, it probably smells more like fish bait ...

Farfrumwork

I PM'd IPT, who started this thread, to see if he can read the PN off of the rear 12v out let he is working with.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Well, 906-825-00-80 is NOT correct. Different connector.
... which is why i suggested that A 906 825 01 80 is the correct socket for that location.

I can see a portion of the OE outlet PN in the picture below, but unfortunately it does not seem to align with the alternate PN's listed in this thread (68011041AA)
I doubt that you will ever see the "Dodge" number molded into/onto an MB part.
(it may appear on a paper label, but not in the plastic)

--dick

Farfrumwork

It doesn't look like A 906 825 01 80 is printed on the 12v outlet that I can't remove either. Though I wish I had a better picture.
And A 906 825 01 80 is listed as fitting 2010-2013 sprinters; 906-825-00-80 is listed for 2014-2018 sprinters (but its shown in the dash location).

Now that I have the plastic retaining piece in hand I can see more clearly how it locks to the metal outlet, so I may end up removing the original unit altogether (if IPT doesn't, or can't, get me the number printed on his outlet). I don't necessarily want to remove my trim piece and futz with that outlet, but I may need to....

Farfrumwork

OK - I finally was able to track down the correct plug.

PN: A 169 820 03 51

A trip to the dealers parts counter set me up. I was trying to avoid driving down there, not that it's too far away at <20mi, but its kind of a pain for a little part and I could get it cheaper online... unless you buy the wrong one and then have to buy a second correct outlet :shifty:

The outlet comes with a piece that is actually already present on the van-side wiring, so that plastic clip needs to be removed (in the picture with outlet packaging, and at the back of the van with all the parts laid out).

My trim pieces are now complete!

(what I thought was a PN that ended on 161A, was actually the country of Mfg which is TunISIA - :smirk:)

Attachments

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
I've been to the dealer parts counter a few time looking for parts. Although some may be lacking in the proper skills to use the wealth of information they have at their fingertips, they are almost certainly more capable than me in identifying/locating a part given the large database and contextual knowledge they possess, and I don't have to buy it if they locate it unless I like the price.

Eric B

according to mboemparts.com, 000-820-48-05 is the new new part number for the rear 12v outlet fyi

You can access that plug easily from behind to remove it if you remove the rear tail light. It is right behind it and accessible.
Hope this helps.

Eric B

Does someone know if the wiring connector for this 12V outlet is proprietary to MB or can I buy a pigtail for it somewhere (amazon?)
I thought I read somewhere in another thread that these were "Deutsch" connectors - did I read that right? Trying to match it up with online pics and am not seeing a match...

Thoughts?
Thanks...

Top Bottom