HELP!! NO DRIVERS SIDE LOW BEAM

Spydoy

I have a 2016 MB 2500 Cargo Van.
My driver’s side low beam was out so I replaced the bulb and still NO Light!!
The old bulb was still good as well so the problem has to be something else.
I looked for headlight fuses in my Fuse Allocation Supplement but didn’t find
any fuses for the headlights.
Are there any fuses for the headlights?
Are there relays? Can anyone offer some advice or experience for this problem??
I’ve tried searching the forums but so far no luck.
A Google search directs me to some posts in the forums, but for much older Sprinters.
Nothing close to my year/ model. I’ve got to get this fixed soon before my inspection
sticker expires in 4 weeks so I can pass and get a new sticker.
Any help would be much appreciated!!

autostaretx

Erratic Member
2007 service manual: http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2007-sprinter-service-information.pdf

Full MB wiring diagram for the 2007 (which will be close to yours): http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2007-sprinter-wiring-information.pdf

3rd party 2007 wiring diagram: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/07_Wiring-sprinter-2500.pdf
----------------
The (US: left) driver's side headlamp unit is on page 8w-50-5 (assuming you're not Xenon lamps), 8w-50-7 for Xenon.

The Body Control Module is also shown in section 8w-45

There does not appear to be a fuse (or identified relay in section 8w-11) that controls only the left low beam.

Check the headlamp unit itself (or the bulb connector) for +12v appearing when you expect it, *and* that the ground (brown wire) actually connects to the frame (i.e. near-zero ohms with an ohmmeter)

--dick

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
My 2013 fuse supplement shows relay 10 (under the driver's seat) controlling the left side low beams. (11 is the right side low beams, 12 is the left high beam, and 13 the right high beam). Things might be different for 2016, but probably not.

Spydoy

Thank you so much!!
I feel like an idiot!! Relays 10,110,12,13 are exactly what you said they are.
In my fuse pamphlet it says “Snow Plow relay, low beam headlamps, left”
Somehow, although reading it over and over, I got thrown off by “Snow Plow”
Thinking of those plow units with the lights in one assembly.
But no, it is clearly marked separately for the low beams and I just missed it every time.
I’ll check with my meter to see if any power is coming out of the relay and I will also check the brown ground wire.
Thanks again!! I will post the results when I get it fixed.

MA5TER5

Hi all,

2017 MB 2500 Cargo van, same issue with no low beam drivers side. Bulbs are fine (swapped to passenger and it worked), pulled out the driver's seat but there's no relays. All other lights are working just fine.

Suggestions?

Thank you

Attachments

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
The narrower bar in the first photo is where relays go. The relay number is stamped in the bottom of the sockets.

Having said that, the headlight relays might be near the fuses in the driver side foot well.

MA5TER5

The narrower bar in the first photo is where relays go. The relay number is stamped in the bottom of the sockets.
That's what I thought, but 10, 11, 12, and 13 are all empty. Checked the driver side, fuses only.

Maybe I'm mis-reading something, but nothing else in the fuse supplement indicates headlamp operation.

Attachments

Ivan Borisovich

Born in the DZ - From Exton PA
That's what I thought, but 10, 11, 12, and 13 are all empty. Checked the driver side, fuses only.

Maybe I'm mis-reading something, but nothing else in the fuse supplement indicates headlamp operation.
Are you getting power on pin #7 (yellow/black wire) at the connector of the headlight and do you have good ground on pin#5 and #10 (brown wires)?

MA5TER5

Are you getting power on pin #7 (yellow/black wire) at the connector of the headlight and do you have good ground on pin#5 and #10 (brown wires)?
Power on #7, ground was good. Took the connector off the bulb mount, everything looked good. Touched the bulb holder to the connectors and it illuminated. Pulled the three screws out of the bulb mount, clicked the wire connector back on, reinstalled the bulb and everything was working, so put the bulb mount back in and I'm back to having a headlight.

Don't know exactly what was wrong, but completely disassembling and reassembling worked. PITA, and way too many hours invested into this :rolleyes:

ddunaway

I have a similar problem. Left low beam out. Bulb good. Ground good. Voltage 5.5V. I guess my next step is to look at the relay "snowplow low beam left" under the drivers seat? Any suggestions appreciated.

ddunaway

Well, it looks like I do not have any of those snowplow headlight relays. The fuse relay diagram does not say anything else about headlights. Both Orileys and Sprinter service say there is only one headlight relay for both sides but cannot say where it is. Maybe I need to explore bad connections like MA5TER5?
relay low beam.jpgunder seat pic.jpg

ddunaway

Low beam bulb is the upper one not the lower one! What a ding dong I am! I have changed those low beam bulbs before too.

Top Bottom