Cap for wood stove?

Shackleton

My van – which I bought already kitted out from some great kids in Asheville – has a tiny wood stove that exhausts through a ~3.5" double-lined stove pipe that extends about 6" above the roof. Above that there's a detachable ~20" piece that ends in a chimney cap. All of which works great.

But... the vent without the detachable bit is just an open pipe. Makes a lot of noise while driving and lets in rain (not a lot, but still).

I've looked just about everywhere for a cap that I could use on this system while not using the stove, but no luck. When I bought the van, the kids had a vinyl kitchen glove stretched over it (which was gone by the time I got five miles down the road).

Any ideas?

jbrownmxr

How about a hinged lid like on diesel tractor? Pull a cord to open and tie it off onto a cleat. Reverse to close it?

Shackleton

Yeah, it's not a standard size. It's just over 3". And the sheet metal guys I visited yesterday said they couldn't make one. Maybe I'll try that route again.

bigfelipe

Get a 3" duravent pellet pipe cap. It's a little over 3" and double walled. You can do a friction fit with tape/weatherstripping/gasket or just run couple screws. The other option I can think of is a 3" plumbing sewer test plug. The wing nut type not the inflatable type. They're only a few bucks and easily removed to run the stove.

markxengineering

Not very good sheet metal guys if they can't make a simple round cap!! Maybe they just didn't want the work. I would definitely go with something with a positive lock that won't vibrate loose (screws, pins, hooks), as pressure on the inside will be higher when driving fast and you don't want it to fly off.

Top Bottom