Adding driving lights, what and how?

I started looking and leaning towards hella 500, after a bit of reading the 1000ff with opt7 led bulbs may be a better choice, unless someone can point me in a better direction.

I'd like to wire them in switched with the high beams, is there a good method of adding a trigger wire and relay that won't upset the computer? I'd hate to have to switch them off manually every time I flick to low beams.

What wiring harness did you use? It looks like you have a near twin of my 170 i4 2016.

What parts of the cooling system are behind the step in the bumper?

Did you research beam pattern? My experience with light bars is the reflectors tend to produce more of a flood light effect whereas larger lights with a better quality mirror are able to design a pattern better for long throw, as well as moving the lights up as high as possible.

Up here I need to see the deer half a mile down the road, high beams on the van are fine for fixed objects, not so good for moving objects.

For some reason Google provided better results than sprinter source search.

It looks like the space to the left of the headlight switch is for a fog light switch and they are pretty wired.

Now school me this, I turn my factory fog lights on by pulling the headlight switch out, same as my 82 300sd and everything else, is this plug and play? Does it requireally an ecu program?

twnpipe

I went similar on my prior vehicle and think I paid $ 35.plus relay $ 16? and switch $ 12.

Currently looking athttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y4QWPTJ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A244KGRYCZBF5H&psc=1

For $ 66 to do both front and back, for Sprinter

HighPockets

floydturbo, I don't wish to judge anyone for what they pay for anything but I have wondered if Ridgids were worth the high cost. Do you think they are now that you have one or maybe they last forever reliably.

Gene

4wheels

floydturbo, I don't wish to judge anyone for what they pay for anything but I have wondered if Ridgids were worth the high cost. Do you think they are now that you have one or maybe they last forever reliably.

Gene
They do last forever - very high quality lights! I've had same rigid light for almost 4 years now -they still work , no water inside and no burned led . Oh , and 1 rigid light puts more light then my 2 factory HID . I have 12 inch ( like in floydturbo's build ) not 20 inch like he just got - I can only imagine how good that light is .
Before buying Rigid I bought Chinese 20 inch led from Amazon - it came DOA , so I returned it and paid almost $300 for Rigid. I only wish I had 2

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Here is a link to all my photos of the buildhttps://goo.gl/photos/HQt89ZzgeSZSSS6d8
Hey floydturbo!

Thank you for providing a link to your Sprinter build. I very much admire both your designs and application efforts. "Creative" could only begin to describe your installation of the Yamaha generator - and that's only one example of the work that very much impressed me! :thumbup:

Bravo to you and the inspiration your efforts have instilled in me! :cheers:

Rock Doc

Gene
I can speak for my experience with my Jeep. About a year ago I had a set of ProComp 3” square LED lamps on my front bumper. They gave adequately more light for what I wanted. However, the downside was absolutely incapacitating electromagnetic interference (static) on the AM radio band (which includes CB, which is indispensable when off-roaming with a group). This was severe enough that I simply was unable to use the ProComp lights when off-roading—which is precisely when I wanted to use them! I even tried to use ferrite chokes immediately next to the lamps to control the static. This helped only a very little bit, but not nearly enough.

Fast forward to this past autumn, when I replaced them with a set of Rigid 3” LED lamps. The difference was dumbfounding. Easily double the light output, and no AM/CB static!

I’ve since discovered that the less expensive lamps cut enough corners that they do not have adequate shielding of the circuit boards to prevent the radio emissions. Also, the reflector technology is enough different that the Rigid lamps capture more of the LED light and put it where you want it (on the roadway).

Yes, the Rigid lamps are double the cost of the ProComps. But, you do get what you pay for, and it’s a lot less expensive to just buy the Rigid lamps the first time rather than buying them AND the others (first).

:2cents:

Rock Doc
2014 Pleasureway Plateau TS in a 2013 Sprinter 3500

MikMal

Now school me this, I turn my factory fog lights on by pulling the headlight switch out, same as my 82 300sd and everything else, is this plug and play? Does it requireally an ecu program?
I was wondering about this. I have a 2008 that has the same headlight switch that gets pulled out for aux lights, although my van isn't equipped with any. But yet the switch does illuminate when it's pulled out.
I know Sprinters don't come with a pre-wired-for-everything wiring harness but since it has this switch (and it's powered) does that mean there are wires running to the grill area so that I can easily install lights down the road?

djomlas

08 2500 DPF MALONE TUNED
I run rigid industries small squares...still space to get up and work on truck or clean windshield.
these things look small, but they are BRIGHT as hell, I use them every time I drive, day or night. at night turning them off almost feels dangerous with lack of light from stock lights, changed out to HIDs and aimed correctly, and still basically a joke. I don't know how id drive without these at night. not cheap but 100 satisfied. plus they look cool. they sell covers for them, you can pop them on and off, if you wanna drive with lets say orange or yellow for more visibility.

Attachments

djomlas

08 2500 DPF MALONE TUNED
Those look good. Can you link to the specific unit on the rigid site? :drool:
I think they are called d2 or something or other, ive had these for number of years on few of my vans, I just transferred them over. not a single issue and I run them as DRLs basically, they are always on, couldn't even tell you how many hours they got on them haha

rudyo

I have a couple general questions on added driving lights. I'd love to add them to a Sprinter and also to a 40' Class A Motorhome that has horrible head lights!

How do ensure that they are street legal? Does SAE labeled products ensure that or is it as much a question of how they are mounted and aimed?

Can a 20" bar be added and used as street legal?

How do you aim them so it isn't a nuisance to oncoming drivers?

Ben76

I installed a Rigid Industries (USA made) LED lightbar that works fantastic. It is triggered by the high beams and can be overridden to turn on with the added switch.

Here is a link to all my photos of the build

https://goo.gl/photos/HQt89ZzgeSZSSS6d8
Hi there, just purchased a similar LED bar that I hope to out in that same place. Wondering if I have it installed or I would do this on my own. Link to pictures doesnt work. Would you have another way to share?

maz

UK Nottm 2008 315cdi4x4 van
I run rigid industries small squares...still space to get up and work on truck or clean windshield.
these things look small, but they are BRIGHT as hell, I use them every time I drive, day or night. at night turning them off almost feels dangerous with lack of light from stock lights, changed out to HIDs and aimed correctly, and still basically a joke. I don't know how id drive without these at night. not cheap but 100 satisfied. plus they look cool. they sell covers for them, you can pop them on and off, if you wanna drive with lets say orange or yellow for more visibility.
hey up, what tyres are those in the photo please.
cheers maz

Top Bottom