Dealers tells me 4,000 4x4s will be produced...

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
I’m quite aware of parts supply chains but didn’t know Oberainger was involved, I was under the impression they only modified Sprinters into 4 & 6 WD vehicles.. I stand corrected... BUT.. I asked a friend who works on the Sprinter line in Germany and has also been traveling often to SC to help with getting the new Factory Line up to speed and personnel trained...

He said they get the 4x4 tranny and axles from them but to the best of his knowledge, they (Oberainger) aren’t behind in parts delivery to the Sprinter plant....

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Its all about allocations. With limited supply of the 4x4 parts (transfer case specifically I guess?) Mercedes various regional management is all competing for the 4x4 and other limited products. Unlike with packages like premium or performance, the 4x4 bits are constrained by parts supply, and allocations will vary due to politics, dealers changing their orders, etc.

zither99

I’m quite aware of parts supply chains but didn’t know Oberainger was involved, I was under the impression they only modified Sprinters into 4 & 6 WD vehicles.. I stand corrected... BUT.. I asked a friend who works on the Sprinter line in Germany and has also been traveling often to SC to help with getting the new Factory Line up to speed and personnel trained...

He said they get the 4x4 tranny and axles from them but to the best of his knowledge, they (Oberainger) aren’t behind in parts delivery to the Sprinter plant....
I don’t believe oberaigner is “behind”, but rather oberaigner can only produce a certain number of the units and that’s the constraint to the total number of sprinter 4x4 produced in a certain year. They grew huge in popularity it seems

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
Im just gonna have univan do a 4x4 conversion.

Screw waiting for mercedes
Why not a Quadvan Transit? For 2019 Ford is fixing what I think is the biggest problem with the Transit, and that was the direct-injected engines. Now they are dual injection to prevent the carbon buildup of previous ecoboost designs. The 4wd drivetrain is certainly better than Sprinter.

The 4 cylinder powertrain is what brought me to Mercedes. In the absence of that engine, I would go straight to Transit.

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
Why not a Quadvan Transit? For 2019 Ford is fixing what I think is the biggest problem with the Transit, and that was the direct-injected engines. Now they are dual injection to prevent the carbon buildup of previous ecoboost designs. The 4wd drivetrain is certainly better than Sprinter.

The 4 cylinder powertrain is what brought me to Mercedes. In the absence of that engine, I would go straight to Transit.
Becauase the 4cyl mercedes wont tow a racecar
And transit cant even fit a decent tire

Univans have an atlas transfer case and great parts. Its expensive, but not much more than a factory 4x4

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD

Univans have an atlas transfer case and great parts. Its expensive, but not much more than a factory 4x4
Grant - can you share more info on Univan 4x4 conversions. Is this a company in Argentina for in Serbia? I didn't find anything in USA from quick search.

scottmcdaniel1

It is true that the constraints for 4x4 production numbers is due to the limited availability of the transfer case/differential from Austria.

Regarding dealers saying that they can 'order' units right now: any dealer can place an order in the ordering bank. No one know, can speculate, or otherwise exactly when that order will be pulled and allocated a production slot.

Trust me, this is aggravating for both the end customer and dealer side.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com

Right, I wasn't suggesting you buy a Sprinter that doesn't exist in this country (4 cyl 4x4) but rather there are other options when it comes to a 4x4 van.

zmoseley4

I met with my dealer Thursday and did a build. When he hit submit, it asked for a Fleet# which I don’t have. I guess I just have to wait for MB to take orders from regular customers. My dealer hopes that will be sometime this month. If it does go through, I’ll be happy to see it sometime by the end of 2019, but who knows!

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
Right, I wasn't suggesting you buy a Sprinter that doesn't exist in this country (4 cyl 4x4) but rather there are other options when it comes to a 4x4 van.
univan can do a 4x4 swap oon a 4 cyl.

univan is a company in st pete, fl that has been developing a bolt in cradle conversion with an atlas transfer case, and awesome parts.

ill have more info for you guys soon since im taking the 4 hour drive to go visit the facility.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
If converting a late model 2x to 4x4... one might want to consider the effects on the warranty if it is still covered.... let alone converting a 2019 when they are finally rolling off the production line....

zither99

If converting a late model 2x to 4x4... one might want to consider the effects on the warranty if it is still covered.... let alone converting a 2019 when they are finally rolling off the production line....
x2

Something to be said about having everything covered under warranty and being serviceable at multiple dealers around the country.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
univan can do a 4x4 swap oon a 4 cyl.
Now that would be amazing. Now if I could have that, without the 4" body lift, without the groaning MB drivetrain, and a significant reduction low range transfer case (more than the 1.42:1), I'd be stoked.

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
x2

Something to be said about having everything covered under warranty and being serviceable at multiple dealers around the country.
as someone who can do the work themselves, it isn't an issue for me.

but for those that dont carry a full tool set, it may be for sure.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
Labor is one thing, the costs of parts is another... nice to have major parts costs covered under warranty, esp considering the original post was about 2019s....
I’m thinking MB would void the warranty on a converted 2019 Sprinter from 2x to 4x4...

grinnelljd

I talked to the dealer in my area ( central Florida ) and both times he told me 12 months for a 4x4. I came here today hoping there is a way around that. This is disappointing. I don't know what to do now. That's a long wait and I doubt they will guarantee that.
He's probably correct unless you can find one sitting on a dealer's lot somewhere. I ordered a Sprinter 4x4 in July 2017 and it wasn't delivered until August 2018. If you want one, be prepared for a long wait. The perk to ordering is you can get exactly what you want.

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
Labor is one thing, the costs of parts is another... nice to have major parts costs covered under warranty, esp considering the original post was about 2019s....
I’m thinking MB would void the warranty on a converted 2019 Sprinter from 2x to 4x4...
they can only void what it directly affects.

Top Bottom