Coach Exterior Entry Handle

JHMooney

2018 Unity MB
Our 2018 Unity MB exterior entry handle is looking pretty sad. :thumbdown::yell: I guess it's painted as the paint appears to be all scratched up. Also, the little plastic covers for the LED lights in the handle keep coming off. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it?

Attachments

CB1945

My 2019 CB has a silver painted handle also. If mine turns like this I will be on the phone to LTV and sending photos like these. Not acceptable. Unless of course the end user is using something other than the human hand, bare or gloved, to grip the handle.

msmolow

2019 Unity CB / 2018 Chas
My 2019 CB handle delivered at the end of July is on its way to looking like yours. I assumed my wedding band is the cause.

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
I really like the design of the outside door handle on my 2014. It looks like they are just using the painted interior handle for both exterior and interior grab handles. I don't know the model handle they use but this aluminum one could be a possible replacement, https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Door-Handle-Grab-Bar/dp/B079M6R5XY. I would definitely get LTV to replace it since you are still under warranty. Maybe they will let you replace it with a better one and reimburse you. That's what they did with me on all my warranty items, I purchased the replacement parts and they reimbursed me.

Attachments

Last edited:

lindy

It appears that LTV has made a change to the grab handles on the exterior and the shower, I may be wrong about the shower. Its a case of "Value Engineering". Changing out the outside grab handle to one that was used in earlier model years may not work. The mounting screws may not align with the backing blocks in the side wall. It would be wise to contact the factory about the mounting location support structure before making the change. I added a second inside grab handle the the side of the tall double door compartment. (Ordered from the factory.) I noted that it was only mounted with a 10-32 screw at each end, very light mounting, I would not put full weight on it.
Al

CB1945

I have not seen any issues with the exterior handle (since the coach is only a few months old) but I have had a problem with the interior grab handle coming loose.
The handle is held in place with two hex head, 6mm bolts. To access the bolts you need to remove a couple of the galley drawers.
The handle was loose shortly after we took delivery so I removed the drawers and tightened the two bolts myself. However, since they simply go through the cabinet plywood, they have worked loose again. They do have a standard diameter flat washer but because the wood is so soft, the washers don't quite do the trick and sink into the wood.
So I'm going to take another shot at this by putting a couple of large diameter Fender Washers in addition to the two existing washers to spread the load out better.
I'm going to contact LTV with my fix and photos as I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem.

JHMooney

2018 Unity MB
LTV is sending me a new one. Meanwhile, I noticed the handle is split into two parts, a front and back. When I get the new one I'll take the old one apart and see if the front half can be covered in something other than paint.

CB1945

I have not seen any issues with the exterior handle (since the coach is only a few months old) but I have had a problem with the interior grab handle coming loose.
The handle is held in place with two hex head, 6mm bolts. To access the bolts you need to remove a couple of the galley drawers.
The handle was loose shortly after we took delivery so I removed the drawers and tightened the two bolts myself. However, since they simply go through the cabinet plywood, they have worked loose again. They do have a standard diameter flat washer but because the wood is so soft, the washers don't quite do the trick and sink into the wood.
So I'm going to take another shot at this by putting a couple of large diameter Fender Washers in addition to the two existing washers to spread the load out better.
I'm going to contact LTV with my fix and photos as I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem.
Once I pulled the drawers and removed the two bolts I found that they drilled a recess into the cabinet supports to allow use of a short (25mm) bolt that I'm guessing came with the handle from the supplier. Poor install IMHO.
My fix was to purchase 1/4" Fender washers and 6mm X 35mm bolts.

Attachments

Klipstr

2018 Wonder FTB
And a couple of lock washers!

kabaker@ieee.org

2018 LTV Unity 24MB LL+
I wrapped my outside handle with Carbon Fiber as it was already starting to scratch and fade from the sun. I use 3M 1080 automotive vinyl wrap on all my projects here. It holds up to the elements very well. Very simple procedure, remove the outside most shell of the entry handle, wrap, re-attach. Many colors/textures to choose from.

Attachments

JHMooney

2018 Unity MB
I wrapped my outside handle with Carbon Fiber as it was already starting to scratch and fade from the sun. I use 3M 1080 automotive vinyl wrap on all my projects here. It holds up to the elements very well. Very simple procedure, remove the outside most shell of the entry handle, wrap, re-attach. Many colors/textures to choose from.
Nice job! I'll look for some of that. Amazon?

kabaker@ieee.org

2018 LTV Unity 24MB LL+
Nice job! I'll look for some of that. Amazon?
Amazon or eBay will have some. I pick-up at a local distributor in Phoenix.

You may notice, I also added some vinyl-wrap to the entry door hinge (that was black and stood out like a picture frame against the white body color) along with my slide-out so it color matches the body paint scheme and makes the slide much more "stealth" from a distance when deployed...purely aesthetics but how I chose to do my ride.

Easy to apply, just take your time and have fun!

CB1945

Amazon or eBay will have some. I pick-up at a local distributor in Phoenix.

You may notice, I also added some vinyl-wrap to the entry door hinge (that was black and stood out like a picture frame against the white body color) along with my slide-out so it color matches the body paint scheme and makes the slide much more "stealth" from a distance when deployed...purely aesthetics but how I chose to do my ride.

Easy to apply, just take your time and have fun!
Thanks for this post. I have not used this product but it is definitely on my list for some future projects. :cheers:

stormpeakco

'19 M-B/'19 LTV U-TB

Golfnut92

My 2019 CB handle delivered at the end of July is on its way to looking like yours. I assumed my wedding band is the cause.
Our FX is a year old and I assumed that our rings may have caused this as well. Since the handle is used frequently you would think it would be made of something more durable.

Top Bottom