Installing propane tanks and appliances in a T1N camper conversion

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Outbound: what’s a reputable gas sniffer for broad ambient temps? The only ones I have found have fairly narrow functional ranges (like 10-35 ‘C) that may work in a marine context but not a camper/trailer where -10 to +40 would be encountered.

SkyGypsy: marine cook tops don’t have a pilot. They have electronic ignition and a fast thermocouple to the gas valve. If the operator doesn’t hold the valve open until the thermocouple heats up (2-3 seconds) the gas shuts off once thr knob is released. So NO risk of an unattended pilot flame blowing out and leaking gas...

-dave

Good stuff Vic.

With a properly constructed propane locker I would hope you essentially have the equivalent of a tank mounted outside the vehicle and also that inside the locker the explosive concentration is never reached.
No argument here.

My comments were prompted by this post.

I guess you could say I live life on the edge...

I have a one gallon propane tank inside the van for my stove and water heater. It's not in a locker, but I do have a propane gas alarm mounted directly below it.
An alarm helps. My fear would be that the atmosphere inside an unoccupied van
vic

outbound

06/2500/140
Outbound: what’s a reputable gas sniffer for broad ambient temps? ....
have to go out to the shop to see what it is... (its been a loooong day...)

what have i got... its an Inficon GasMate.
didnt need a propane sniffer until i started working on landyachts (its a very long and boring tale... ;)
but have used their refrigerant detectors for about 15+ years, rock solid dependable.
:2cents:

Last edited:

outbound

06/2500/140
Outbound,

What about the bubble test for small jobs?

http://www.countrypropaneinc.com/safety/detecting-a-propane-leak/

Any ideas on a trustworthy monitor?

bill
while i dont mean to sound as if i'm some sort of 'expert' on propane, my background being
mostly electrical and refrigeration+a/c on cruising yachts (amongst other stuff, like solar-assisted heatpumps)
but i am 'certified' (in UT) for 'LPG service tech'

and will say that....

bubble solutions work good to check specific connections, which should always be done anyway.
but the sniffers allow one to quickly determine if theres ANY gas in the vicinity.
that one i use will sound-off the second you walk in to a coach if there's a leak,
it stops down its sensitivity the closer you get to the source... i keep the tip close to the deck
and wave it slowly back n forth, as i walk around the coach - it never fails to hunt down leaks.

far as monitors, eye see a lot of these, and dometic makes em too

anyway...
just trying to be helpful/give back to the forum, since without the hive-mind + crowd-sourced feedback
here, along with doing most of the work on my own van??
i could never afford to own/drive a sprinter! (it's a mercedes ya know...)
:cheers:

Last edited:
B

billintomahawk

Outbound, people like you are a treasure and I appreciate everything you offer.

Here's the unit that seems to get the nod from you and many others...

https://www.amazon.com/MTI-Industri...000FLLWGA/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8.

If the forum OK's it, it goes on the Xmas list as a present for grandpa.

I guess a second question is, "Is one enough?"

My propane lockers will be in a separate storage area(behind the back wheel wells) and physically separated from the heated living/cooking area. My bed will be directly above the lockers.

bill

Last edited by a moderator:
B

billintomahawk

Guys,
Just to finish this up I'll post some pics of creating the refrigerator install/propane locker/heat chimney just to give a rough idea of how it could look.

I'm laid up with a broken hip but this will give an idea where I was headed. The black areas are vent cut outs covered with plastic in the van wall.
The area shown is just behind the driver's seat. You can see I installed a window, The recess below it is about 4 inches deep making the chimney.

These vents were reinstalled with Butyl calking gaskets...

That's an old kitchen table top. The frig will be sealed to the van wall on both sides and at the bottom to create the locker chimney.

New redecorated Frig door...

To be continued...

bill

I use a 11 pound tank for the stove and furnace. I built an enclosure with a 3inch pvc vent in the floor and an access door in front and top. I use a regulator from a backyard gas grill and close the valve while driving. I get about five nights of heating off the tank on cold nights.

B

billintomahawk

I use a 11 pound tank for the stove and furnace. I built an enclosure with a 3inch pvc vent in the floor and an access door in front and top. I use a regulator from a backyard gas grill and close the valve while driving. I get about five nights of heating off the tank on cold nights.
Nice, I was thinking about two 30 pounders installed behind the wheel wells.
I like to get lost and boondock in the deserts with my motorcycle.

b

InterBlog

+1 for the poster who believes it would be unwise to install propane in any new build.

I was once a huge propane fan, but that was before we had not one, but two, Dometic 3-way fridges go bad on us. If interested, you can read about those costly and painful misadventures here. We replaced with a Vitrifrigo fridge which has the Danfoss compressor, and never looked back.

We took those two propane fridges, got them functioning again, and built a vertical cabinet with caster wheels and a place to hold both AGM battery (surplussed from our lithium retrofit) and propane bottle on top. Presto, off-grid refrigerator, which may have some of you scratching your heads a la "Why would anyone go to the trouble?!" Because we live in hurricane country and we sometimes lose electrical power. Pic of that contraption:

billintomahawk mentioned falling out of the back doors and breaking his hip. This startled me because I almost did the same thing several times. My husband and I designed our own hitch platform, and I made sure that it included a very wide step in front of the curb-side door, a step / platform which I refer to as the "back porch". I say "startled" because I assumed I was the only one who had a back door stumbling problem. Apparently not. Here's a pic of the hitch carrier. Knock wood, I've had no near-misses since installing this.

B

billintomahawk

Nice work interBlog.

I am considering a safety strap that would string across the opening until I get the bed built, then falling out of the bed with the doors open would be fatal so maybe a net.

I plan to pull my motorcycle on a trailer so that would also make a fall stopper but not a very nice one.

As for the compressor refrigerators, I am guessing they would defeat my 100 watts of solar panel and my two trolling motor batteries. Even worse, summers/fall/ early winter I live in northern Wisconsin and the trees when they have leaves make solar even worse as do cloudy days.

Time will tell what works, it always does.

Thanks for the photos.

bill

B

billintomahawk

Well everyone I am back, this time with an old Dometic gas absorption refrigerator, Model 2401 liberated from a 1974 Minnie Winnie, and as you have probably guessed it does not work.

It gets hot on both gas and 120V plug in, it gurgles, it winnies and it whines, it more gurgles but it does not get cold. I did the 3 minute flip side top side back to top and the a forward backward shake bur NO love when reconnected, in fact it seems to be gaining temp in the box or is only slightly cold. I have it sitting upside down right now...any other suggestions?

I have read what I could find on the net and it seems like many have been brought back to life by flipping, I do hear liquid running when I flip it upside down.

I see not evidence of yellow death.

Do I need more patience ...or a new cooling unit or...?

bill

GJACK

2017 144 4x4
The consensus seems to be two vents in an air tight box.
One above the cylinder, one at the floor level.

The top vent could draw cabin air but the bottom vent must go to the outside and be lower than the tank.

If anyone is experienced with boat or van, I'd appreciate their input.
Maybe this was already addressed, but the top vent should not draw cabin air. The top vent also needs to be vented outside incase you have a significant release, all of the propane will go outside through the top and bottom vent. Once a significant release subsides, the propane will vent through the bottom with fresh air from the upper vent (outside air) replacing the propane. Both vents should be vented outside. Sorry to sound so adamant, but wanted to make sure that was clear.

B

billintomahawk

Maybe this was already addressed, but the top vent should not draw cabin air. The top vent also needs to be vented outside incase you have a significant release, all of the propane will go outside through the top and bottom vent. Once a significant release subsides, the propane will vent through the bottom with fresh air from the upper vent (outside air) replacing the propane. Both vents should be vented outside. Sorry to sound so adamant, but wanted to make sure that was clear.
Both the vents in the van sidewall are sealed to the back of the refrer and are to the outside and a chimney is created between them per Dometic's install instructions.

I have tried the refer in various ventilation situations as in pulled away from the wall but it still refuses to cool in any way so far.
If it doesn't come to life I will have to install anew cooling unit.

I'll wait a couple of days and put that over on the build and conversion area.. I trust the depth of knowledge on the T1N forum so I am asking here first.

bill

B

billintomahawk

Why is this thread not in the "Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk" section?
GT,
One thing for sure, tying to get this or any gas absorption refrigerator to cool and vent in a T1N is almost a magic trick due to the van sidewall construction especially when windows get involved.

This size Dometic is readily available in junked out RV's and might be workable in our models if we can get them safely installed and get them to cool. It's a fairly specific T!N problem when you look at the placement, the side-rail problem and the safe propane storage problem. Not much else is going to work.

But mostly I trust brains like yours and the hive mind of T1N owners who lurk here to guide me.

If I rebuild the frig I'll do it over in conversions.
No worries.
If the admin decides to move this thread, no problem.

bill

Top Bottom