Extra beds in front

Berkgeorge

Dose anyone have the extra beds that go on the driver's and passengers seats? I got some things that fold out but they don't seem to be right. I have an 2008 RS Roadtrek. Pictures would be Great!

Thanks
George

GAMacky

Hi George,

Do you have the bi-fold or tri-fold? For 2008, you need the bi-fold. If you have a brochure, there's a picture of it in there. The steps to make the bed is as follows:

1. If you want to use the driver side, do the following, otherwise, skip to the next step: Release the steering column adjustment lock. You'll need to keep the steering wheel at the highest point. Move the armrest down so when you rotate the seat, it can sqeeze under the steering wheel. Release your parking brake.

2. Rotate the front driver/passenger seat so that the back is toward the inside, which is a 270 degree rotation. You'll need to move the seat fully forward while turning the first 180 degrees, and then move the seat half way back for the rest 90 degrees, otherwise, you'll hit the pilar at the back of the front door. After the 270 degree rotation, move the seat all the way back to give the most room for your bed. If you are doing the driver side, you can set the parking brake now. Be careful as you might catch your fingers when pulling the parking brake lever. Rather than grabbing the lever with fingers rolled, pull it with an open hand.

3. Remove the seat back of the rear seat by lifting it straight up. Then place it flat on the seat with the velcro on the bottom attached to the velcro on the bottom of the wood strip on the cabinet (yes, there's a velcro under that wood strip on the cabinet). That's to prevent it from moving forward and moving up when weight is applied in the middle of the bed.

4. Flip the wood strip on the back of the seatback up, so that when the bed is placed on it, the knob that's sticking out won't poke into the bed. What I found is that it's easier to remove the knob as it's just a bolt and washer. When removed, I keep them in the drawer so I don't lose them. Then you don't need to flip up the wood strip, which might collapse after a few movement in the bed.

5. open the bi-fold bed mattress. You'll notice that one end is wider than the other end. Place the wider end toward the rear and the narrow end onto the front rotated seat. And Voila, you have your front bed.

When putting the bed away, just reverse the process. Be sure to release the parking brake before you try to rotate the driver seat.

Hope that helps. I'll try to get a picture in the next day or two.

George

P.S. The bed is small and intended for children. Make sure that they understand that it's not designed to be jumping or bouncing up and down on. The bed is narrow, hopefully the front seatbacks will keep them from rolling off. You might want to put some bedding or pillows on the floor next to the bed if the children tends to roll off.

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Yea and block the wheels, if you don't want a run-away sprinter from it's parking spot Winne did this down under and got into a heap of trouble with the ADR regs.
Richard

Berkgeorge

GAMacky
Thanks for the reply. I have 2 of them. I thought one was for one side and one for the other. I will find them in the basement and see if they are bi or tri.The sales guy didn't know anything so he could have given me last years model or ones for another model Roadtrek? I could send a picture , if I can figure how to put them on this forum. Also I will try to find the roadtrek picture. Is it in there basic sales stuff?

Thanks Again

George

GAMacky

Hi George,

My bad... I went to dig out my matress, and came to realize that I gave you the wrong info. :rolleyes: You'll need the tri-fold version for 2008, not the bi-fold. The reason why I know about the 2 different versions is because the dealer ordered me the wrong one the first time (the bi-fold ones) and we couldn't figure out how to make it work because the fold is in the middle of the bed and there had to be something to support it when one climbs into the bed. So we got the tri-fold the second time and it took us an hour to figure that out. But at least we did figure it out, especially after looking at the brochure picture. I found the picture in the brochure. They have it where the seat back is toward the door. It makes it easier to setup and easier to get in and out of the bed. But it's at an angle, so I'm not sure how stable that would be. I know when I have the seat back toward the center, it's very stable. So you might want to try it out both ways and see what works for you.

Attachments

gkim

I just bought a new 2008 RS Adventurous and am considering the front bed option as well. Has anyone heard of a bed idea using all four seats in the front to make just one bed? Seems like it would work if you could figure out the dimension and the best way to hinge and fold the thing.

GAMacky

It's not difficult to figure out and build a folding platform to use all 4 seats. The problem is where you're going to store it AND the matress. The matress size will be too huge to be practical. That's why roadtrek didn't design one as well. Otherwise, they would have.

SprinterRik

I have the fold out as well. Haven't used it yet. My son is only 5 months old. However, when he gets a bit older he'll be the one to use the front area. I'll probably have to modify the fold out some how. Any ideas appreciated!

slowstride

I too am trying to come up with a sleeping arrangement for the front of our 2008 Freightliner/2010 Adventurous.

I have not seen the 'folding mattress' in person but I am keen to see how it would work in our van. Our second row seats are lower than the front seats, the back does not fold flat and is not removable. Hard to see how it would work.

The photo on this thread is not like our Adventurous. I have not been able to find much information of any value on the RoadTrek site. If anybody has photos of other configurations, could they please post them here.

I have bought a $40 5 foot (60" x 28") Ozark centre-folding utility table, with a steel frame, from Walmart. With the front seats rotated so that the seat backs are against the doors, the table will either span all four seats as a platform, or can be set up as a table, on it's legs. The table tends to take up most of the front seating space.

Our son is two, currently we have a travel pack n play, made by 'Phil & Ted's'. We attach the Phil n Ted's, with it's built in thermarest, to the table. In time we could put a small sleeping pad on the 'table', but would have to work out some means of making sure that he doesn't fall out of bed!

I envisage using the table for various outside applications, such as cooking, eating entertaining. I hope the table will be a versatile addition to our van. It stores easily behind the back seat, strapped to the cross-bar.

Another thought I had was to get hold of a used portaledge, and figure out some way to suspend a sleeping platform for our son. I am keeping an eye out for a cheap portaledge option.
:2cents:

GAMacky

Do you have the optional Captains seats for your second row seats? If you do, then the back can't be removed to be used as the extra padding to build the height to match the front seats. If you have the Captains seats for second row, you also can't get the optional wardrobe.

slowstride

Thanks, I was starting to think that might be the problem. The information on the Roadtrek site is next to useless for trying to work this out, thanks for the input. Looks like I'll be working on custom sleeping platforms for the front sleeping area. If I come up with a good idea, I'll post it here.

Paul

K-9 SPRINTER

TROLL TRAINER
This is from sportsmobile,measures 29" x 62" with 2" of firm foam. Folds for storage. its not bad, great for a child( and you could make one yourself)

Attachments

Last edited:

If I had a high roof I'd be inclined to look into suspending something from higher up above, and independent from the fully reclined front seats. Perhaps held by cable hangers or other drop down brackets? Especially if it were for younger kids. It takes some training by inflicted adults before children realize there is something wrong with sleeping in confined spaces. :hmmm: YMMV. vic

slowstride

Our RoadTrek Adventurous is rather full of stuff up the front, so building a platform would be quite a challenge. The Sportsmobile front seat mattress looks like a good option. Thanks for the input.:cheers:

Paul

slowstride

Alright, just spoke to Sportmobile. Front seat mattress $237 plus shipping, or pick-up from one of their locations. About two week lead in time needed to manufacture, fabric options available.

slowstride

small victory

The 2.5' x 5' ozark folding table from walmart fits perfectly across the front seats, with the seats seats fully back and slightly reclined . Currently the front edge rests on the gear-shift housing, but with a slightly taller support in that location, the load on the dash could be eliminated. I am going to buy a second table, to make a second platform in the second row seating area. If one wanted to reduce weight, the legs of the table could be removed quite easily with a grinder and a cutting wheel. Cheap, versatile solution.
:2cents:

Top Bottom