Help! Striped TC drain bolt!

Hi, all! Im doing a trans service on my van, and my torque converter srainbolt is stripped! A 4mm allen started to turn in the drain bolt, and a 4.5mm won't fit!

I already drained my trans pan and removed it along with filter. I'm an expediter, and cant wait for a new drain plug to get here, so i need to just refill and replace filter and get on my way. How much fluid for dropping pan and NOT draining Torque converter?

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Sometimes a tight Torx bit will grab where an Allen has failed, but you need to tap it in, and you should use a small battery powered impact driver for best results. Good luck, and remembering to turn counter clockwise (sometimes people mess this up when lying on their backs).

lindenengineering

Hi, all! Im doing a trans service on my van, and my torque converter srainbolt is stripped! A 4mm allen started to turn in the drain bolt, and a 4.5mm won't fit!

I already drained my trans pan and removed it along with filter. I'm an expediter, and cant wait for a new drain plug to get here, so i need to just refill and replace filter and get on my way. How much fluid for dropping pan and NOT draining Torque converter?
3.5 qrts if you don't have a dipstick and you haven't drained the torque.
Dennis

Thanks! So i ended up getting a t27 torx that would not fit. I took a hand file tonthebvery tip of the little splines, so it would get started in the hole, gave it a bunch of little taps and voila! Backed right out! :)

It definitely did help that it was 35° and raining all day long.

Ok, in peocess of refilling now. Boy, throwing the quarts in a tub of hot water for 20 min makes it soooooo easy to fill!

Anyways. So i have 8 quarts of fluid. 5 are in now. How many do i add to get to the point of checking level with dipstick tool? All 8? 7.5? Does it take the full 8? Or will 7.5 then add to correct temp mark?

Ok, in peocess of refilling now. Boy, throwing the quarts in a tub of hot water for 20 min makes it soooooo easy to fill!

Anyways. So i have 8 quarts of fluid. 5 are in now. How many do i add to get to the point of checking level with dipstick tool? All 8? 7.5? Does it take the full 8? Or will 7.5 then add to correct temp mark?
A pan/TC drain refill takes about 8 qts. With 5 in start the engine and shift back and forth through the gears without moving. That fills the TC. Filling with 7 - 8 qts without doing that risks fluid coming out the vent.

:cheers: vic

Top Bottom