Master switch placement - is this correct?

jennowhat

Hello. Can anyone tell me if the dotted line from the charge controller in the attached diagram is placed correctly? feeding into the master on/off switch?

I guess what I'm asking is.. If I need to turn off the switch to isolate my batteries, is it okay that I will be disconnecting my charge controller as well?

Attachments

autostaretx

Erratic Member
What you drew:

jenn01.png

There has been a recent thread about a Victron being disconnected from its batteries.
The instructions ask you to connect the battery first, and *then* connect the panels.

It's going to partly hinge on when/why you're flipping the master switch.
If it's only for rare maintenance, you're definitely OK (especially if you flip a blanket over a panel or two).

If you're flipping more frequently, you're probably OK, as long as you don't flip it back on when the isolator is joining the systems with the alternator running OR if the panels are over 18 volts. If they have an open circuit voltage (Voc) of over 20 volts, the Victron may make the mistaken assumption that your (disconnected) batteries are really 24 volts.
In theory, you can manually *set* the Victron to 12 v (versus "automatic"), but it's something to watch for.

I forget the name of the recent (within a month) thread that was chasing this down, but it was a bizarre system with a 2nd solar controller (a Yeti Goal Zero) between the Victron and the battery.

Adding a switch or removable fuse between the panels and the Victron would really make it OK.

--dick

jennowhat

Thanks for the info. The master switch would only be used for maintenance, so hopefully very rarely.

The Voc of the panels is 22.5 (3 Renogy 100w panels wired in parallel).

So as long as I:
- Make sure when I turn the switch back on that the Victron is set to 12v.
- Make sure not to turn the switch on when the engine is running
- Cover panels the best I can, just in case (I could actually disconnect the panels at the branch connections most of the time as they are flex panels and the connections are accessible)

..Then I should be okay, right?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Even when the van is running, you're probably OK (since it'll be 14.4 volts at max, more likely 13.8)

Since you have a panel disconnect method, that ensures you can do the "connect battery, then connect panel" sequence (if you find it's confused).

--dick

Top Bottom