T21 Recall - Freightliner USA-ANYONE, ANYWHERE found a Knowledgeable dealer??

carter.home

Jim Carter
Jim, Call Brett Bennett at Western Star Freightliner in Houston, tx ( the shop that just replaced my ICU) and see if HE says the recall is closed. It looks like others are still getting their instrument panels replaced, so I think you are getting some bad information from your AZ dealer. I have preiviously received bad information from Mercedes customer service,....telling me that my Freightliner was a Dodge,(It is not) and that they were not even able to talk to me any more,......I wouldn't put much faith in anything they tell you.

Brian
I have tried to call several times, no joy. I just got home from my local Mercedes dealer. Talked him into giving me a free diagnostic and running it up the ladder to see if I can my IC replaced. The good: they ran the diag and concluded I need a new IC. The bad: "The campaign is closed and cannot be re-opened or amended."

I may have a unique problem in that my original campaign 2016040001 was performed in November 2016. My check engine light has been on for 2 1/2 years. Not until recently was the real fix discovered. I don't understand. There is another dealer in Anaheim, CA that may help but also cannot get a return phone call.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I have tried to call several times, no joy. I just got home from my local Mercedes dealer. Talked him into giving me a free diagnostic and running it up the ladder to see if I can my IC replaced. The good: they ran the diag and concluded I need a new IC. The bad: "The campaign is closed and cannot be re-opened or amended."
By that do they mean that it's closed for your *specific* Sprinter,
or that the entire T21/2016040001 campaign is closed? (i doubt it's the latter)

--dick (who fears you're S.O.L. and will need to pay for an IC if you want to clear the issue)
((but you could probably pick up a junkyard (pardon: recycling center) IC from a 2006 to help with the pricing .. it would still have to be programmatically melded with your Sprinter (primarily to get the odometer correct), but it would fix the not-going-snoozies issue))

carter.home

Jim Carter
They say the campaign is closed but I do believe it’s for my sprinter. I was able to pick up the correct IC and had it programmed for my rig. I reset all of the codes using my ICarSoft MBII but the codes and the check engine light came back maybe it is not able to do a full reset need some advice here

GaryJ

Here since 2006
By that do they mean that it's closed for your *specific* Sprinter,
or that the entire T21/2016040001 campaign is closed? (i doubt it's the latter)

--dick (who fears you're S.O.L. and will need to pay for an IC if you want to clear the issue)
((but you could probably pick up a junkyard (pardon: recycling center) IC from a 2006 to help with the pricing .. it would still have to be programmatically melded with your Sprinter (primarily to get the odometer correct), but it would fix the not-going-snoozies issue))
I had the local MB dealer (Rocklin, CA) recently do the T21 on my 06 Freightliner van. Today I made an appointment with Folsom Dodge in Sacramento, CA for my 06 “Dodge” motorhome. They seemed very familiar with the process and I have an appointment a week from now. I’ll report back.

Gary

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
They say the campaign is closed but I do believe it’s for my sprinter. I was able to pick up the correct IC and had it programmed for my rig. I reset all of the codes using my ICarSoft MBII but the codes and the check engine light came back maybe it is not able to do a full reset need some advice here
Jin, I had that same thought yesterday, that they probably are saying that YOUR campaign shows as closed because the recall has been done. That said,....that does not release Mercedes from their liability having caused your post recall problems by doing their mandated recall.

MY RECALL was done in 2016 or 2017 by the prior owner,.....and like you, my check engine light has been on for a couple years with the accompanying constantly on IC back light and constantly running EGR Jim,...and as you know,...I just got mine fixed a few months ago by Houston Freightliner at no charge.

CORRECTION TO MY PRIOR: THE SERVICE MANAGER THERE IS BRECK (NOT BRETT) BENNETT. I recently had a customer named Brett,....and mistakenly told you Brett in at least one of my posts here Jim,......it is BRECK BENNETT.

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
Jim, did you purchase a used IC? Who did the programming? Others may want to know.

You mentioned some warning light issues,...have you since resolved all issues.

Brian Collins

carter.home

Jim Carter
Jim, did you purchase a used IC? Who did the programming? Others may want to know.

You mentioned some warning light issues,...have you since resolved all issues.

Brian Collins
Not much new to report I’ve been ignoring this issue because it’s so frustrating. I did buy a used IC with the correct part number on eBay the seller programmed the mileage etc. but after installing it and resetting the codes the check engine light still comes back on not sure if there’s something a different scan tool can do I just have an Icarsoft MB II

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
Did the replacement IC cure the digital dash segment and EGR self cleaning staying on after shut down?

carter.home

Jim Carter
Did the replacement IC cure the digital dash segment and EGR self cleaning staying on after shut down?
I believe so when I turn the key off now the odometer light goes to dim and then stays off after about 30 seconds it never did that before so the light flashing is gone but still after clearing the codes the check engine light still comes back on not sure if there is something additional that needs to be done or a different type of scan tool to reset the codes

carter.home

Jim Carter
A search here says that P0423 Is "Heated catalyst below threshold, bank 1". Maybe start a new query Jim briefly stating what you have done, and what CEL Code you have,......maybe its unrelated?
Not P0423 it is U0423 invalid data received from the instrument control panel. I believe that’s the same code everyone is getting that has this problem

carter.home

Jim Carter
I believe so when I turn the key off now the odometer light goes to dim and then stays off after about 30 seconds it never did that before so the light flashing is gone but still after clearing the codes the check engine light still comes back on not sure if there is something additional that needs to be done or a different type of scan tool to reset the codes
So now that I have the correct IC, does anyone know how to reset the codes permantly?

newroad

P Larson
I had to send our IC up to SOS Diagnostics in Oregon. Their address is 906 S Ivy St, Canby, OR. 97013.
Mercedes Corp. recall refused to help us. I sent it up and they re-programed the IC and then sent it back and ......... It Worked GREAT! My engine light wouldn't turn off and here in Arizona they would not give you a smog test which means you can't renew your plates. So they are the best and if it wasn't for them we would be in trouble. I think our engine runs better too. The Mercedes dealer in Peoria, AZ actually removed the IC and gave it to me so that I could send it to SOS Diagnostics. Then, they (the Mercedes Dealer) put it back in our motorhome. SOS Diagnostics has a website and I don't know what we would have done without them.

... The Mercedes dealer in Peoria, AZ actually removed the IC and gave it to me so that I could send it to SOS Diagnostics. Then, they (the Mercedes Dealer) put it back in our motorhome. ...
It's nice to praise SOS. :thumbup:

You might name the Mercedes dealership also. It sounds like they helped to make your life easier.

I know...
The recall is what caused the problem. It is still good that the dealership followed up for their customer.

:2cents: vic

LocMan

"I had to send our IC up to SOS Diagnostics in Oregon. Their address is 906 S Ivy St, Canby, OR. 97013.
Mercedes Corp. recall refused to help us. I sent it up and they re-programed the IC and then sent it back and ......... It Worked GREAT! My engine light wouldn't turn off and here in Arizona they would not give you a smog test which means you can't renew your plates. So they are the best and if it wasn't for them we would be in trouble. I think our engine runs better too. The Mercedes dealer in Peoria, AZ actually removed the IC and gave it to me so that I could send it to SOS Diagnostics. Then, they (the Mercedes Dealer) put it back in our motorhome. SOS Diagnostics has a website and I don't know what we would have done without them."

Oh thank GOD!!! Will be calling them tomorrow! :bow::rad:

carter.home

Jim Carter
I had to send our IC up to SOS Diagnostics in Oregon. Their address is 906 S Ivy St, Canby, OR. 97013.
Mercedes Corp. recall refused to help us. I sent it up and they re-programed the IC and then sent it back and ......... It Worked GREAT! My engine light wouldn't turn off and here in Arizona they would not give you a smog test which means you can't renew your plates. So they are the best and if it wasn't for them we would be in trouble. I think our engine runs better too. The Mercedes dealer in Peoria, AZ actually removed the IC and gave it to me so that I could send it to SOS Diagnostics. Then, they (the Mercedes Dealer) put it back in our motorhome. SOS Diagnostics has a website and I don't know what we would have done without them.
What did SOS charge for the fix?

carter.home

Jim Carter
So now that I have the correct IC, does anyone know how to reset the codes permantly?
I called SOS. Even the person answering the phone call knew exactly about this recall problem. I sent them my old cluster my new cluster the ECM the SKREEM and one of my keys. Hopefully I’ll get everything back in about a week and this three-year problem will be resolved. Hopefully then I’ll be back with some good news. Thanks Brian Collins, for your support and continued pestering me (in a good way) for my status.

Top Bottom