T21 Recall - Freightliner USA-ANYONE, ANYWHERE found a Knowledgeable dealer??

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
As of July 11, 2020 there are no IC Instrument Clusters available for the T21 recall if needed. The recall is officially on hold.
My 2004 and 2006 have not had the recall performed.

My NYS note gives some indication that the T21 information has been circulated.

The NHTSA.gov site showed
0 Unrepaired Recalls associated with this VIN
for both the 2004 Cargo and the 2006 Passenger model.
:2cents: vic

I see Vic started a new thread for T21 Recall Dealer Recommendation. T21 is the Dodge recall campaign name, Mercedes Benz calls it Campaign 2016040001.

Freightliner Sprinter customer service is answered by Mercedes customer service,...and that is where things get very cloudy for some,....as Mercedes dealers in Texas, Florida, New York and New Jersey can not perform recall or warranty work on Freightliner badged sprinters. This is a by product of some franchise law or agreement conflict I have been told.

My two closest Freightliner dealers (AUSTIN AND HOUSTON) have no experience with the T21 recall issues. and will only look at my van at my expense. I have emailed information from this forum about the recall related issues and had no response to it,.....phone calls and emails....the same,....no response.

Has anyone anywhere in the U.S. Found a Freightliner dealer who has had experience with the issues caused by this recall and that the fix for the constantly Cycling EGR valve and the Instrument panel failing to turn off with the key is replacement of the Instrument panel??

It is my hope that if I find a Freightliner dealer anywhere in the US who has experience with the T21 problem and the fix for it,...that I can request that they contact my Austin dealer for a consult. If/when this occurs, I will post up any positive Freightliner related info.

Please do not add info here about Dodge or Mercedes dealers .....They will not help those of us who own Freightliners and live in Texas, Florida, New York or New Jersey.

Brian in San Antonio

Added May 7, 2019:

Vic / All who own 2004 or 2005 T1N Sprinters badged as Freightliner

Dodge released a similar update last summer,....now posted at the beginning of the T21 Thread by Vic,.....

Mercedes had to eventually follow,....and here is the "Updated" document. Now mentions that some T1N Sprinters may require a replacement Instrument cluster in order to correct the post T21 (Dodge) / #2016040001 (Mercedes/Freightliner) recall issues (Constantly illuminated Instrument cluster back light and constantly running EGR)

View attachment MB 2016040001 recall Update doc.04182019 (1).pdf

Instrument cluster replacement is specifically mentioned on page 5.

Brian in SATX

Vic, I didn't know where the best place to post this would be. Feel free to move this wherever you think it should be and would get the most visibility.
Added:
POSSIBLE HELP FOR THOSE GETTING THE RUN AROUND IN CALIFORNIA.

Update re emissions recall (California DMV # 201632, Dodge # T21, Mercedes # 2016040001):

My vehicle is a 2004 Freightliner Sprinter 2500 (T1N), built as a motor home by Forest River. I live in the Los Angeles area. My annual notice to renew my registration noted a "manufacturer recall # 201632" and required "proof of correction" from a dealer before I could renew my license. This was the only notice I ever received about this recall.

I took my vehicle to Mercedes of Anaheim. They performed the software upgrade, following the procedure in the Mercedes Recall Campaign Bulletin, and gave me the "Proof of Correction" certificate. I was then able to license my vehicle with the California DMV.

Initially, all seemed fine, but after two brief driving outings, the problem symptoms appeared, as reported by other owners of model year 2004 Sprinters: When the engine was shut off, the Instrument Cluster light did not turn off and the EGR mechanism did not turn off. Also, the Check Engine Light appeared and stayed on as long as the engine was running.

I took my vehicle back to Mercedes of Anaheim and they performed the additional steps indicated in the Recall Bulletin, ending with the replacement of the Instrument Cluster. So far, the vehicle is performing properly, so I am optimistic this is the end of the troubles. This dealership should now be familiar enough with this problem to deal with additional Sprinter recalls in an efficient manner; my contact there is Michael Gonzales, mgonzalez@anaheimmercedes.com, phone 714.777.7446.

This process has been difficult, because Mercedes Benz USA has made it so: I was never contacted or informed about this recall by MBUSA, even though they clearly have my contact information in their system as the vehicle owner, which is obvious whenever I have taken the vehicle to a Mercedes dealer - they are able to view the entire history of my vehicle. I was never able to discuss the problems with the contact person to whom I was referred at MBUSA - my phone messages were never returned.

I was able to resolve this only after contacting my state government representative's office. They put me in contact with Jeffrey Wong at the California Air Resources Board, jwong@arb.ca.gov, phone 626.575.7009. He was able to arrange with MBUSA to have my vehicle "diagnosed" and repaired without charge. Initially, the dealers, presumable following instructions from MBUSA, wanted to charge me $200 to "diagnose" the problem, a problem with which MBUSA is clearly aware, and which does not require "diagnosis".
Added:

There is a Mercedes "Fix" for the start aka chassis battery power drain own after the T21 recall.

T1NT21fixModule.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
Re: Need Help--T21 Recall for Freightliner owners-Anyone found a Knowledgeable dealer

I was concerned that this might be the case. No replies. Bumping to get in back on the first page.

Brian

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
Re: Need Help--T21 Recall for Freightliner owners-Anyone found a Knowledgeable dealer

Anyone with a Freightliner been through this?

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi

Freightliner Sprinter customer service is answered by Mercedes customer service,...and that is where things get very cloudy for some,....as Mercedes dealers in Texas, Florida, New York and New Jersey can not perform recall or warranty work on Freightliner badged sprinters. This is a by product of some franchise law or agreement conflict I have been told.

Brian in San Antonio
In which case you need to go back to Freightliner/Mercedes customer service and ask them, politely, WHERE you can get the recall performed.
AIUI they, Freightliner or Mercedes, are legally obliged to get your recall performed so ask them how THEY propose doing it?

Keith.

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser

Here in Seattle, Seattle Mercedes will do the recall on Freightliner Sprinters. (and Lynnwood should)

Here's the tale of a forum member's 2004 Freightliner "educating" Seattle Mercedes:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52197

--dick
Thanks for the lead. I spoke to Seattle MB yesterday. They provided some possibly helpful info,....but the service writer I spoke with said they couldn't help beyond that.

Lotus54

I may contact Seattle MB. I don’t *have* to do this ‘recall’- no testing where I live and likely won’t be.
BUT I’m thinking if I sell it in the future, having the California market could be quite helpful.
So I may do it while they still have people that know how, and how to solve issues.

it is a problem since it is a fair drive, plus a ferry ride to get to this dealer- and I’ll have to hang around there for hours. And I don’t like to go to Seattle anymore (ha)

Thanks for the info Dick

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser

Anyone have any further thoughts on this?

boxer rebellion

I see Vic started a new thread for T21 Recall Dealer Recommendation. T21 is the Dodge recall campaign name, Mercedes Benz calls it Campaign 2016040001.

My two closest Freightliner dealers (AUSTIN AND HOUSTON) have no experience with the T21 recall issues. and will only look at my van at my expense. I have emailed information from this forum about the recall related issues and had no response to it,.....phone calls and emails....the same,....no response.

Has anyone anywhere in the U.S. Found a Freightliner dealer who has had experience with the issues caused by this recall and that the fix for the constantly Cycling EGR valve and the Instrument panel failing to turn off with the key is replacement of the Instrument panel??

It is my hope that if I find a Freightliner dealer anywhere in the US who has experience with the T21 problem and the fix for it,...that I can request that they contact my Austin dealer for a consult. If/when this occurs, I will post up any positive Freightliner related info.

Please do not add info here about Dodge or Mercedes dealers .....They will not help those of us who own Freightliners and live in Texas, Florida, New York or New Jersey.

Brian in San Antonio
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Brian,

I am in San Antonio as well, did you ever find a resolution for this T21 recall on Freightliner Sprinter?

andre

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Brian,

I am in San Antonio as well, did you ever find a resolution for this T21 recall on Freightliner Sprinter?

andre
not yet

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser

Posted by user name "Zymurgy" in the other non-Freightliner T-21 Dealer recommendations thread:

"Fyda Freightliner in Columbus, Ohio sort of successfully performed the recall on my 2004. However the only counties requiring e-check in Ohio are in the Cleveland area. I would not perform unless from those counties. It took 2 trips, still had to replace an out of spec shifter ($1000 on me), before a new instrument cluster (on them) could be installed."

Last edited:

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser

Its been a month since any new responses. Anyone else?

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser

Moving this to the top,....anyone found a Freightliner dealer anywhere in the US that is knowledgeable about the T-21 recall.

GaryJ

Here since 2006

Moving this to the top,....anyone found a Freightliner dealer anywhere in the US that is knowledgeable about the T-21 recall.
This may have been covered in a prior response, but since MB owns Freightliner I’d think they hold the ultimate responsibility for this recall, which they’re legally required to perform. If you haven’t already gone this route, maybe trying to work with MB could provide a link to a MB dealer that can pull it off. There were lots of vans sold with the Freightliner badge and some used on RV applications so this has got to be coming up all over the country. I’ll be facing this same situation in the future with my 06 140. It sounds like we’re going to have to lean hard on those guys to get this service done.

Gary

baggio95

I recently purchased a 2004 Freightliner Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser MB. A little bit of a drive for you from TX but the previous owner had the recall work done at Mercedes Benz of Littleton in the Denver area in May 2018.

jmiller5

RE recall T21 and 2016040001: I am in California, my vehicle is a 2004 Freightliner 2500, built as a motor home by Forest River, owned since 2010. Received recall notice 201632 (DMV) with my license renewal - it is the same as T21 (Dodge) and 2016040001 (Freightliner and Mercedes). I am in contact with CA Air Resources Board about this. I received the attached document from them, which explains the issue in more detail.

I am now searching for a Mercedes dealer to accomplish this mandatory repair. I am in Long Beach. Has anyone experienced the repair yet? If so, what dealer, what cost if any, how much time did it take, and how do you rate the experience?

I will appreciate any information available to guide me!

Thanks,
Jeff Miller
jeff.miller@csulb.edu

Attachments

Top Bottom