T21 Recall for OM647s - Recommended Dealerships

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Another '04 (Dodge badged) owner checking in. CEL stays on, and the battery dies. One of the local Dodge dealerships took it in, and I explained from the get-go that it's a recall issue. They called today and said that it is NOT covered because it wasn't replaced when the recall was first released (back in 2017). I explained that the aforementioned recall was a simple reprogramming of the ECM (and that is what triggered the IC/battery drain issue in the '04s), but he said his service manager still said it's not covered. They wanted nearly $1,100 for a new cluster. I guess I made a mistake in buying an' 04. There's one other Dodge dealership in town that I will try. If that's a bust, I may just sell the van. Trying to get a cluster (and have it programmed) would be an expensive, drawn-out process.

Which dealership?

marklg

If you haven't already tried, contact Dodge customer care uscustomercare@fcagroup.com and see if they can work it out with the dealer. They seemed responsive. Be nice, but explain how this should be covered as part of the recall.

Regards,

Mark

Lennie

I use a mechanic in Escondido for service, he has a lot of experience with Sprinters. I asked him what things I should look for with a T1N, he was really helpful and showed some common issues to keep an eye on.

ions82

If you haven't already tried, contact Dodge customer care uscustomercare@fcagroup.com and see if they can work it out with the dealer. They seemed responsive. Be nice, but explain how this should be covered as part of the recall.

Regards,

Mark
I've sent a couple emails to FCA CS, but I haven't gotten a response. I included all the contact info for the service managers at the Dodge dealership. I'm not sure how long I want to spend twiddling my thumbs and wondering if this cluster/recall endeavor is merely a fool's errand. Seems like the easiest/cheapest/fastest way to get it done would be to buy a used cluster and have the independent shop program it to my van (assuming they can and will do that.) As long as that CEL is on, I can't get it registered. In the mean time, I'll keep chipping away at all the work that it needs. There's no shortage of that.

marklg

I've sent a couple emails to FCA CS, but I haven't gotten a response. I included all the contact info for the service managers at the Dodge dealership. I'm not sure how long I want to spend twiddling my thumbs and wondering if this cluster/recall endeavor is merely a fool's errand. Seems like the easiest/cheapest/fastest way to get it done would be to buy a used cluster and have the independent shop program it to my van (assuming they can and will do that.) As long as that CEL is on, I can't get it registered. In the mean time, I'll keep chipping away at all the work that it needs. There's no shortage of that.
I filled out this form:

https://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/emailpage.html

They took 6 days before they responded to me with a case number, but they followed up quickly after that.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think it is possible to reprogram the clusters, or the dealers would just reprogram yours rather than replace it with a new one. Maybe someone else here knows that for sure.

Regards,

Mark

My 06 recall was done last week at the Carlsbad, Ca. MB dealership. All it required was them downloading the update through the OBD. It couldn't have been easier. I was in and out in less than two hours and part of that wait was the free car wash. I was told it was all about the MAF sensor not signaling a dash light when it may be needed.

Other stories of having to tear into the dash was not my experience. I did ask about this beforehand and was reassured by the service manager that would not be needed.

marklg

My 06 recall was done last week at the Carlsbad, Ca. MB dealership. All it required was them downloading the update through the OBD. It couldn't have been easier. I was in and out in less than two hours and part of that wait was the free car wash. I was told it was all about the MAF sensor not signaling a dash light when it may be needed.

Other stories of having to tear into the dash was not my experience. I did ask about this beforehand and was reassured by the service manager that would not be needed.
It's only an issue with 04 and a few 05. Us 06 owners are luckier.

I think FCA did not update the recall notice to include cluster replacement, or at least the original is still being used by dealers who refuse to replace the cluster for free.

See this link:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=103012&d=1540915009

Maybe print it out and show it to any dealer that does not want to replace the cluster for free.

Regards,

Mark

Last edited:

ions82

It's only an issue with 04 and a few 05. Us 06 owners are luckier.

I think FCA did not update the recall notice to include cluster replacement, or at least the original is still being used by dealers who refuse to replace the cluster for free.

See this link:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=103012&d=1540915009

Maybe print it out and show it to any dealer that does not want to replace the cluster for free.

Regards,

Mark
I gave that document to the folks at the dealer before I even took the van in to them. They still wouldn't help. I have been trying to reach the other dealership in town, but I am already suspecting that they are equally as useless. It's amazing to me how so many people collect a salary yet can't even be bothered to pick up the phone to answer or make a call. I am hoping to get in touch with the the area FCA rep to see if he/she will blow me off, as well. German engineering meets American complacency. It's really too bad these vans are so awesome. We put ourselves through all sorts of stress just to keep them going.

ions82

I filled out this form:

https://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/emailpage.html

They took 6 days before they responded to me with a case number, but they followed up quickly after that.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think it is possible to reprogram the clusters, or the dealers would just reprogram yours rather than replace it with a new one. Maybe someone else here knows that for sure.

Regards,

Mark
I filled the form. Let's see how it shakes out. If the cluster doesn't need to be "programmed" to the ECM, I might just source one from another vehicle and install it myself. Trying to get dealership personnel to give a **** is likely to be a waste of time. I will probably end up buying a Xentry clone so I won't have to deal with them ever again.

marklg

I had my 2006 done at Bill Luke in Phoenix.

They did tell me it was possible for it to "fry" the ECU if the flash programming went south and the tech had seen both successful unsuccessful results and asked me if I really wanted to do it. It seemed like they preferred not to do it, but at least the tech had done it successfully before. I said go ahead.

It took 2 days as they had to get the right equipment, but it was done OK and it seems to drive OK on the 15 mile trip home. I then drove 100 miles including up and down steep hills at highway speeds with no issues. The 80 or so mph max speed limiter is still there.

Using my AP200, I confirmed that the software rev in the ECU had been updated to 647 900 00 00 and I confirmed there are no stored codes in the ECU but stored codes in the other modules.

T21_1.png

The other modules stored codes when the ECU wasn't talking to them, which was expected. The ECU would stop talking during the programming.

T21_2.png

I cleared those codes and all seems OK.

T21_3.png

The remaining codes in the selector are either real or an artifact of the Autel AP200. They are always there.

On the AP200, I had to select both the 901... and YD... to be able to clear all the modules.

The instructions from FCA don't say to clear codes in all the modules. They probably should as MB specific scanners can read them.

Regards,

Mark

Last edited:

frank

Need to take my 06 MB Sprinter for the recall. Anyone had luck with a dealer in Ventura county or west San Fernando valley?

SprinterSnale

'05 T1N 3500 - NorCalSprinterCampout
Following GaryJ's course of action, my wife took my '05 3500 Dodge to Folsom Lake Dodge. Called Friday and set an appointment for Monday 8AM. It was wrapped up by noon. They also did a vehicle inspection and she was provided with an SUV for the morning. :thumbup:
With our 22-02-2005 delivery date, no cluster replacement was needed.
Totally worth the 150 mile round trip as I've never seen a Sprinter, past, present or in the service center of our local Chico Dodge dealer.
We will smog later this week once the monitors get a couple hundred miles to close.

Shortiez

Two High Roof 118s
Adding my 2cents here. Took my 2006 Dodge Sprinter 2500 118 to Chryster Dodge Ram in Walnut Creek CA.
One thing after another. First the MAF. They replaced the computer on Dodge's dime. Now a O2 sensor code and a smell of sulfer, but Dodge has been resisting paying for it for about 10 days! Dodge is trying to say the O2 sensor isn't on the recall, but the dealership is saying that it IS on a list of things the recall can cause. I'm wondering what to do, sorta want my van back.

No idea if it's my van that is more messed up than most (~250,000 miles) or if the dealership isn't doing things as cleanly as some.
I'm sorta thinking it's the van, not the dealership, unless somebody stays different. I've got another van that needs this work done soon too.

Zundfolge

Always learning...
Adding my 2cents here. Took my 2006 Dodge Sprinter 2500 118 to Chryster Dodge Ram in Walnut Creek CA.
One thing after another. First the MAF. They replaced the computer on Dodge's dime. Now a O2 sensor code and a smell of sulfer, but Dodge has been resisting paying for it for about 10 days! Dodge is trying to say the O2 sensor isn't on the recall, but the dealership is saying that it IS on a list of things the recall can cause. I'm wondering what to do, sorta want my van back.

No idea if it's my van that is more messed up than most (~250,000 miles) or if the dealership isn't doing things as cleanly as some.
I'm sorta thinking it's the van, not the dealership, unless somebody stays different. I've got another van that needs this work done soon too.
Autoworld dodge in Petaluma replaced my O2 sensor per recall. It took them 3 days which was pretty lame, but just as a response to your wondering if it should be covered, it was for me...

armordillo

Hi all-

Checking in to see if anyone knows of any reputable, experienced dealers in the Seattle, WA area? I need to have the recall work completed as well. Any info would be greatly appreciated...thanks for your help!

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Hi all-

Checking in to see if anyone knows of any reputable, experienced dealers in the Seattle, WA area? I need to have the recall work completed as well. Any info would be greatly appreciated...thanks for your help!
Dodge or Freightliner?

IF Dodge, try Town and Country Chrysler/Jeep at 13733 Aurora Ave N
... they were the surviving and designated Sprinter dealer after the MB/Chrysler split.
(206) 365-3530 https://www.cdjrofseattle.com/

If Freightliner, MB up in Lynnwood has been reported as very very good.
Seattle MB may also handle it (i know someone who did the T21 there years ago...)
((and the trail of tears as MB learned about the cluster issues ... but they DID sort it out))

--dick

frank

Need to take my 06 Dodge Sprinter for the recall. Anyone had luck with a dealer in Ventura county or west San Fernando valley?
UPDATE Southern California

Some Dodge dealers don't seem to want anything to do with these vans any more.
I made an appointment at Simi Valley Dodge since they were closest and after having the van for a few hours, they told me I had to take it to Mercedes. Idiots. The Dodge dealer in Thousand Oaks said they wouldn't do it . I called the Dodge Factory Recall number and they suggested Crown Dodge in Ventura, and Crown gave me an appointment a few weeks out. This wasn't ideal, since my plates would expire before the appointment date. I had to take a chance and drove the 20 or so miles on expired plates to the dealer. I arrived about a half hour early around 10:00 and was greeted by Scott, the service advisor. Friendly guy and he knew right away what I needed. Turns out Crown is a really large dealer with a huge lot and many cars lined up for service appointments. Scott told me it would take most of the day and I could get a free loaner car. Crown called me about 5 hours later and told me the van was ready. When I got there they had the paper work (orange form) required by CA ready and even offered to wash the van, but I was in a hurry to beat the traffic. Everything was done right with no issues so far. The van has been driven about 75 miles since the recall was done, parked over night and engine has been started/stopped several times. The van ran fine before the recall was done, and continues to do so.
I don't notice any difference in the way the van runs.
Also, I saw a couple of other OM647 sprinters in the service bays while I was there.
This van was purchased new by me, and this is the first time it was back to a dealership since I got it.

Last edited:

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
Today I received my second notice from Cherry Hill Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep in Cherry Hill, NJ to have the T21 recall performed. The first time I received the recall notice I called their service department and asked if they’ve done many and was told no, they’d done less than a dozen. I haven’t been able to get through to the service department today but was hoping that someone has experience with this dealership, there don’t seem to be any reviews on the forum as of yet.

Thanks

Today I received my second notice from Cherry Hill Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep in Cherry Hill, NJ to have the T21 recall performed. The first time I received the recall notice I called their service department and asked if they’ve done many and was told no, they’d done less than a dozen. I haven’t been able to get through to the service department today but was hoping that someone has experience with this dealership, there don’t seem to be any reviews on the forum as of yet.

Thanks
Joel Millionmilesprinter may have some info about the recall and dealerships in the Philly area. Maybe PM him or try his website.

vic

Top Bottom