turn signals stopped working

Kit7873

Hi everyone,

I have a 2004 T1, love the van, but just this week on MOnday, my turn signals began to crap out --- first blinking intermittently (Monday) to blinking quickly and then not blinking or clicking at all (yesterday) to this morning's commute of not even working. Perhaps I get one blink and then it stops. This is for both R and L.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Kit

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I'll put money on the Multi-function switch. Can you wiggle the turn signal switch to make it work? I found that rotating the stock with a little bit of force could make the signal work momentarily. I had it replaced.

Kit7873

Thanks for the reply. I haven't tried wiggling the turn signal switch, but I have been clicking it on and off repeatedly when turning as I can perhaps get a single click of the turn signal with each pull on the switch. I will search for multi-function switch.

Much appreciated,
Kit

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
I'd check the bulbs for burn out.
If bulbs ok, I'd push down on the emergency flasher button while pushing up on the steering column's fuse box to make sure the turn signal switch's connection hasn't loosened apart from years of vibrations and bumps

autostaretx

Erratic Member
There was a recent thread on disassembling the multi-function switch and bending the contacts to adjust for worn plastic bits:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10876

--dick
p.s. and seeing Bob's approval of NelsonSprinter's comment: yes, try the Hazard flasher to see if it's switch or elsewhere.
The Central Timer Module could be having issues (or its relays)

p.p.s. wiring diagrams for the switches are spread around in the service manual in chapter 8W
Both the "Front Exterior Lighting" and "Rear Exterior lighting" have bits of it.
(we've also identified some errors (primarily missing connections in the drawings) in the "headlamps" section)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

I'd check the bulbs for burn out.
If bulbs ok, I'd push down on the emergency flasher button while pushing up on the steering column's fuse box to make sure the turn signal switch's connection hasn't loosened apart from years of vibrations and bumps
:thumbup: X-2 Yes, always begin with the easy and least expensive stuff first, progress from there.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The relay on the fuse block one (or the fuse blocks relay contacts) can also cause erratic operation. Usually in the form of buzzing relay etc.

Kit7873

Thanks for the feedback. Hazards are working as of now. They may have a slight lag/irregular timing pattern but it is almost imperceptible and perhaps just my imagination!

outbound

06/2500/140
try put the e-flashers ON and if they arent flashing, give the panel immed below the wheel a whack and see if that doenst make it flash..
then if the flashers go, shut em off and try the turn sigs...

(seriously, it usually works with mine :)

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
If the flasher relay in the fuse block (or the block itself) is starting to go, the next relay over is the ECU relay, so watch out for no start situations with "start error" messages.

veganxxx

I have had multiple fuse block housings go bad, where the turn signal relay becomes too lose to make contact.

mrawsonw

I have an intermittent problem with my turn signal relay and a loose connection inside the fuse box. I'm pretty sure that if your hazards are working, the problem is with the "multifunction switch" (turn signal stalk. If your hazards don't work, it's more likely to be the turn signal relay or fuse panel.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

An easy test would be to switch the engine start relay (the one on the left at the bottom of the fuse block #1) with the turn signal relay (the one on the right). Years ago my turn signals starting acting wonking in the cold. I switched the two relays and didn't have problems with starting or turn signals for 2 years. Just last week my van wouldn't start intermittenly (aux fan on, glow plug light not going out, etc.). Wiggled the start relay and it started up, but would die if I didn't hold the relay just right (remember this is the same relay that was causing turn signal problems 2 years ago). Put a new relay in for the engine start and no problems since. This morning it is 28 degrees, engine started and turn signals worked fine.

... I'm pretty sure that if your hazards are working, the problem is with the "multifunction switch" (turn signal stalk. If your hazards don't work, it's more likely to be the turn signal relay or fuse panel.

Good point. :thumbup:

The turn signals and emergency flashers do share the same flasher circuit.

:cheers: vic

Kit7873

Checked bulbs, all good, all around. Hazards work though they were erratic 1x in about a 3 minute test (I was driving so I didn't want to continue test).

Kit7873

I have an intermittent problem with my turn signal relay and a loose connection inside the fuse box. I'm pretty sure that if your hazards are working, the problem is with the "multifunction switch" (turn signal stalk. If your hazards don't work, it's more likely to be the turn signal relay or fuse panel.

Hazards just stopped working and the turn signals have also died completely. So your guess is fuse panel? Other electronics seem to be working fine.... I finally have time today to poke around under the steering column.

mrawsonw

Yeah, I think that if your turn signals and hazards died at the same time it's either the bottom rightmost relay, or it's the fuse panel itself. Mine is the fuse panel, I believe. I can make them work by pressing on the bottom right corner of the panel, near the relays.
-Morgan

Top Bottom