Cute lit up ENGINE light on dash

SUPSER

Yesterday for the first time I got this light upon starting my Sprinter. 3 or 4 start/stop cycles with a little driving in between and the light was still remaining lit. This morning the light went out on startup. I have 49 miles left b4 100,000 miles so anything warranty wise either factory or Extended that I purchased will die after I leave the dealer. Will whatever code that was thrown still remain in memory even if the light is out? They had it a couple m's ago looking for a noise that was probably RSN, and said it threw a code at that time. They wound up replacing my number 2 glow plug. They never really did anything else at that time except scratch their heads and say that they could not find anything else. I want to deliver it to the dealer tonight as that way they get it as cold as possible in the am when they look at it. I think I will not leave the keys so they have to wait for me in the am before they can get into it. It really seems to run much better after it is warmed up.

surlyoldbill

I think warranty dies at 36,000 for everything except emissions, which dies at 100,000. My local dealer sure didn't offer to replace GP's or module under warranty at 90k.

SUPSER

I have an extended as well... like $2500, going down the drain tomorrow. They did the glow plug no charge to me, and that was just a couple of 1000 miles ago. Hope that the codes are in memory as I am going to drop it off tonight.

SUPSER

Well it was another glow plug, they changed it out no-charge and offered to sell me a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty from Chrysler that would take me to at least to 150,000 miles for a measly 3250.00. Aside from a tow-in, rental from day 1, and extended rental, does that sound like a lot of money? (it does to me) I am afraid that reading all the posts in the forum have made me somewhat gun shy. What major problems can I expect if any? Obviously at 100,000 miles things are more likely to go wrong, right?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
... $3250 ... 2 years ... 50,000 more miles... does that sound like a lot of money?
It sounds like about $4.50 per day, or about 6 and a half cents per mile.

It's merely another form of insurance ... you could "self insure" by putting $5 per day away into the bank.
(and pray that $3650 will cover any problems during the two years).

You're in Portland... are you using Freightliner or Dodge for your servicing?
(if FL, it's interesting that Chrysler is still working through them for the warranty)

--dick (same size, type and age Sprinter... far fewer miles)

SUPSER

Been using Dodge, as I was told that the warranties were not interchangeable. They swear that they will still be Sprinter Dealers in the forthcoming future. (RON TONKIN) They replaced a glow plug and it was still covered under the Dodge warranty. I was advised that I should have been quoted for 25k per year or 50k total as the "unlimited" miles may have added additional cost. Also I should have had the FLEET department quote it instead of the service department. I can cancel but with 99,975 miles when I left the dealership I would have only 1 year available after I turned 100,000 miles, not 2.

Top Bottom