518 ambulance fitout conversion ideas

Yep I'll be doing the same thing to try to work out the rear A/C controls. The cable bunch that leads into the multiplexing nodes is the stuff of nightmares.

Haggis261

Hi folks, I also bought one of these (exactly the same as the OP). I've gone another route which is empty the back box COMPLETELY. The wiring was horrific and none of it was really useful. There are no wiring diagrams to be found. I took the lino off, the rails out, and the inner skin and foam. I found that the silicon on the roof had degraded and I've replaced that to make it waterproof. I removed the rear air-con unit, as it would only run when the engine was running. Turns out its plumbed into the engine coolant, so be aware of that.
I moved the engine battery back to the original battery compartment and added a frame for 3 x 130ah AGM batteries in the slide out battery tray.
We are running 2 or 3 x 300W solar panels on the roof and 2 x Maxxfans as well. We are adding a window to the drivers side of the body as there's not much light inside due to the bed/cupboards/kitchen covering most of the internal windows.

Be wary of stripping out the wiring- we lost our rear tail lights, central locking, slide out door step and air suspension, needing to be wired back in seperately to make them work again.

The whole thing is held together by silicon and its a pain in the ass to get it all out.

The wiring was horrific and none of it was really useful. There are no wiring diagrams to be found. I took the lino off, the rails out, and the inner skin and foam. I found that the silicon on the roof had degraded and I've replaced that to make it waterproof. I removed the rear air-con unit, as it would only run when the engine was running. Turns out its plumbed into the engine coolant, so be aware of that.
I moved the engine battery back to the original battery compartment and added a frame for 3 x 130ah AGM batteries in the slide out battery tray.
We are running 2 or 3 x 300W solar panels on the roof and 2 x Maxxfans as well. We are adding a window to the drivers side of the body as there's not much light inside due to the bed/cupboards/kitchen covering most of the internal windows.

Be wary of stripping out the wiring- we lost our rear tail lights, central locking, slide out door step and air suspension, needing to be wired back in seperately to make them work again.

The whole thing is held together by silicon and its a pain in the ass to get it all out.

Yeah I'm very disappointed that there's no wiring diagram. The wiring is a complicated rats nest and Varley refuses to provide me with any information. :thumbdown:

I had a look at the rear air conditioner and I can't see how or why it would be plumbed into the coolant... do you mean refrigerant?

How did you mount the roof solar panels? We are looking at screwing some extruded angle to to panels and gluing them up to the roof with a cable entry gland at the front right going down into the power compartment in the front right corner of the rear cabin.

Haggis261

Deffo plumbed into both coolant and refrigerant. One for heating, one for cooling. It actually has a second compressor solely for the rear air con under the bonnet.

We bought the solar panel 'feet'. THey're not expensive and do the job perfectly. With the power compartment, we chose to remove ours completely, theres no real use for it once you get down to it. Its a massive space taken up by not a lot (solar charge controller, DC/DC charger, Inverter etc).

Where are you based?

Thanks for clarifying re coolant. Interesting!

Yeah it has an auxiliary A/C compressor under the bonnet connected to the PTO. The auxiliary A/C compressor appears to be plumbed into two insulated refrigerant lines on the drivers side which travel up the rear corner of the box body.

How is the coolant routed to the rear?

I'm based in Sydney inner west.

Haggis261

Coolant is routed from passenger side and then diagonally across body to the same space as the refrigerant lines.
I'm in Campbelltown if you want to meet up and have a look what one looks like 'naked'? (not us, the van...)

Coolant is routed from passenger side and then diagonally across body to the same space as the refrigerant lines.
I'm in Campbelltown if you want to meet up and have a look what one looks like 'naked'? (not us, the van...)

Hey I'd love to check it out.

I've sent you a PM.

Spinners

Hi Haggis and V6 Sprinter, I’m looking at the same model, would love to hear how your fit outs went and any photos.

Top Bottom