T1N not warming up unless driven, help please

Ingebretsons

Hello,

I have a 2006 Dodge Sprinter with 140,000 miles that won't warm up unless I'm driving it down the road.

If I start in and let it idle without the heater fan running, it finally warms up a half hour later. With the heat blowing in the cab, it won't ever warm up(dash engine temp stays at zero). I can start driving it down the road and then it heats up in a few minutes, but as soon as I stop again if the heater fan is on, it cools down immediately. The temp out of the vents always matches the engine temp, as best as I can say.

Another interesting note is that the vents on top of the dash above the radio never blow warm air. Warm engine or not.

The check engine light is not on, and it runs perfectly otherwise.

I am one of those always cold kinds of people, please help!

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
IF you have an Espar use that. A diesel,will not warm up idling on a cold day. When you are drivng, what temp does the dash display show? You may need a new thermostat but more likely you need to understand that diesels just don’t shed a lot of heat at idle/no load. It helps with fuel consumption, but is unpleasant re cabin warmth, hence the Espar.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Hello,

Another interesting note is that the vents on top of the dash above the radio never blow warm air. Warm engine or not.
And to put you out of your misery the two vents on top of the dash actually bypass the heater so will only ever blow cold air. Just close them in the winter!

Keith.

Edit. And I suspect your thermostat has failed open!

I've not been welcoming first posters like I once did.

First, let me extend to you a hale and hearty welcome to the forum. welcome2.gif

As was mentioned, even with a fully operational cooling system, idling will not generate much heat from a diesel.

You should take the time to at least skim this thread.

T1N Engine Temperature Normal High Low
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47965

It is a very long thread now, but there's some really good information to be found there.

:cheers: vic

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
There is an auxillary coolant pump on the firewall beside the big black round thing.
This pump sends coolant to the heater inside and is prone to wearing out. replace or refurbish if not working

Ingebretsons

A diesel will not warm up idling on a cold day. When you are drivng, what temp does the dash display show?

I had no idea, I'm brand new to diesel so I guess I'll be learning a lot.

It normally runs just below halfway on the gauge, so I think that's 170f. Never above this, and I don't tow or lug around much load.

Thanks for the help!

I had no idea, I'm brand new to diesel so I guess I'll be learning a lot.

Personally I would cease the practice of idling when cold.

Some info included here may be helpful.

Inspection tips for buying a used Sprinter T1N
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5174

Some General Information for Owners New to Sprinters
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23409

DRBIII, DAD and some other acronyms which may come up
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50067

vic

outbound

06/2500/140
my 2006 has 265k miles on it and it also wasnt warming up very fast... like, not for several miles at 40-50mph, not until going 70mph...

even in the summer months.

until i replaced the thermostat - now she's upto normal ops temp within a couple miles = major improvement, esp in the approach to winter.
altho i grew up in MA/NH, i spent 24+years in a much more pleasant climate so a warm van isnt an option (anymore)

recommend replacing the thermostat - the part/assy isnt all that expensive and the task takes appx 1/2 an hour
:2cents:

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
While driving down the highway at 60 mph, after 10 mins,, a properly working thermostat should have you between 175-190f , even on the coldest days. If your van can’t get there, time for a thermostat (and coolant ?) change. If it does warm up, then your warm up issues are just diesel idling issues.

Last edited:

While driving down the highway at 60 mph, after 10 mins,, a properly working thermostat should have you between 175-190f , even on the coldest days. If your van can’t get there, time for a thermostat (and coolant ?) change. If it does warm up, then your warm up issues are just diesel idling issues.
I agree.

My advice is to not start replacing parts willy nilly until the normal/typical heating AND cooling progressions of the T1N diesel is understood and compared to the actual operation of a particular Sprinter. Your first post mentioned unreal expectations from an idling T1N diesel.

Review the link I included in Post #4.

Last edited:

Lotus54

Like mentioned, check if you have the Espar heater (under the left side headlamp).

I modified mine to run without the engine running. I like to fire up the Espar 10-15 minutes before I leave, the heater is working great by then and windows defogger etc. Plus I think it is good to regularly run the Espar. (Mine runs off the ‘house’ battery, since I have an Airstream Interstate RV convention Van)

mark

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Auxiliary Water Pump. This pump circulates water through the heater assembly. It is just about in the center of the engine compartment above the engine. Follow the water lines.
You can feel it when it is working. Turn the heater to high and fan on and the pump should be working. If you don't feel action, replace the pump.
The part number is 05098398AA. You can find many of these on ebay. they use the pump in several different things. They have different electrical plugs so look for the one that has the right type of connection for easy install.

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis
Like mentioned, check if you have the Espar heater (under the left side headlamp).

I modified mine to run without the engine running. I like to fire up the Espar 10-15 minutes before I leave, the heater is working great by then and windows defogger etc. Plus I think it is good to regularly run the Espar. (Mine runs off the ‘house’ battery, since I have an Airstream Interstate RV convention Van)

mark
Did you do the 3 relay thingy? So the circulation pump and the blower to the cab work?
Ive read the thread many times but still thrown off by the "picture has an incorrect wire" statement, then it says drawing corrected but I'm not sure.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
So in case it wasn't clear in reference to the original question: replace your thermostat. It isn't closing so it isn't allowing the engine to warm up properly. I spent way too many cold days in my first winter with my first Sprinter years ago until I replaced the thermostat. Problem solved. Chances are the rest of the cooling system needs some maintenance. I sell this kit ony website for this exact purpose.
https://www.millionmilesprinter.com/product-page/van-life-cooling

Lotus54

Did you do the 3 relay thingy? So the circulation pump and the blower to the cab work?
Ive read the thread many times but still thrown off by the "picture has an incorrect wire" statement, then it says drawing corrected but I'm not sure.
I did the multi- relay method.
I have the schematic I made that clearly shows all . Want it?

I have the schematic I made that clearly shows all . Want it?
Why not start a thread in Write-ups and post it? It would be good to have a shorter, more direct thread than the original. Not that the original Write-up doesn't contain a bunch of information because it really does. A condensed workable version might help some others for implementation.

david_42

Every time I drive our Kia I wonder at how fast it heats up, a mile generally does it. I can drive my 2004 to Home Depot (about 5 miles) and the engine hasn't reached NOT. Might get there on the way home, depending on the outside temperature and how long I was in the store. Doesn't seem to be a problem, but I only have 140K on it.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
My wife’s Jetta does the same. And she’s got heated seats...

My Sprinter routine is to twist the key to pos’n 2, put on my seat belt while the glow plugs warm up (maybe sneak a sip of coffee if it’s below 20’F) then crank. Engine always catches on the 2nd or 3rd compression stroke. Pause 5-10 seconds at idle to get the fluids (coffee) moving, then go. My temp gauge starts moving within about a half mile, and is typically up past 120 F within a mile of home unless I get all green lights and am just chuggin’ along at 30 mph. It locks in at 180’F within 15 minutes and will stick there all day long. And that’s both in summer or through this past week, with morning cold starts at 20’F. So it does sound to me like your thermostat has failed open?

-dave

ps: my kids recently gave me a heated seat cover for the van.
How (why??) did I go without THAT for so long?!

Last edited:

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Fwiw a failed open thermo won’t get my van up to operating temp no matter how far /fast I drive when the weather is below -10C. Even with a brand new OEM thermostat it still takes awhile,to get there and it is cold out the van won’t warm up by itself in city traffic, it will eventually get alsmost there. I may be my mild fuel saving way of driving, very rare for me to even go 3/4 throttle ( I only mention this because when I let my brother drive my van i was surprised at how heavy his throttle inputs were, but he usually drives a Ram turbo diesel pick up with a manual ).
The other thing I notice is how fast it loses heat when turned off while I’m in a store.

Top Bottom