radio removal

Hoppingmad

Would love to know how to remove the radio from the 2005. Want to tap into the antenna line for the sirius satellite system as I'm not getting good blank spots on the dial for the fm transmitter, either that the transmitter isn't strong enough to get to the roof.

I saw a thread claiming if radio is unplugged to long we need a code to get it going again. I wonder if worst buy has a unit that fits that hole correctly

TimJuhl

If you unplug the radio (or disconnect the battery) you will need to enter a VIN # specific code - some are available here http://www.berrysprinter.com/radio code.pdf otherwise you'll have to ask the dealer to get it for you.

I bought a replacement radio thru Crutchfield and highly recommend them. You'll want the wiring harness adapter and the installation kit. Many of the replacement radios available have a jack you can plug your portable Sat radio into - the one I got also has an iPod adapter.

The Sprinter antenna requires 12 vdc which is pretty common on European vehicles. I'm not sure "tapping" into it would be a good idea. If you are using a FM transmitter to feed the Sat signal to the factory radio the antenna is not playing a big role in this.

Tim

Hoppingmad

Sat radio working fine in car and motor cycle, not at all in sprinter.
Have only the base on the van, whip disappeared.
Studied electronics when I was younger, no idea why they'd have 12 volts on antenna wire!!!!!!!!

Was looking at radio faceplate, has 2 slots, approx .03 x 1/4", insert something here to release faceplate? I don't see any screws nearby

TimJuhl

Antenna source <http://store.europarts-sd.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2189>

The install kit from Crutchfield includes the DIN tool required to remove the old radio (see 2nd pix.)

The sprinter antenna has a built-in preamplifier that amplifies AM & FM signals. Forum members have reported that failure to connect power to the antenna is most noticeable when trying to receive AM stations.

Be sure to read <http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488&highlight=radio+wiring+harness> especially the part about needing to switch two of the power wires.

For what it's worth, while I was at it I added a couple of speakers to the front headliner using the rear speaker leads on the wiring harness. There is lots of room behind the headliner and it comes off fairly easily. I ran the wires behind the pax airbag and up the right hand window post.

Tim

Attachments

katmat

The Sprinter antenna requires 12 vdc which is pretty common on European vehicles. I'm not sure "tapping" into it would be a good idea. If you are using a FM transmitter to feed the Sat signal to the factory radio the antenna is not playing a big role in this.

Tim

I'm am still having bad AM reception w/ my stock radio. I have checked for voltage at the antenna & it seems correct. Is there anything in the line (amp or something) between the antenna & the radio?
Thanks,
Matt Murphy
Chicago IL.

mackconsult

I did the same. Installation went just fine using crutchfield supplied parts. I did not do the satellite, just HD radiod and the ipod connector. The kids love to watch movies in the van.

If you unplug the radio (or disconnect the battery) you will need to enter a VIN # specific code - some are available here http://www.berrysprinter.com/radio code.pdf otherwise you'll have to ask the dealer to get it for you.

I bought a replacement radio thru Crutchfield and highly recommend them. You'll want the wiring harness adapter and the installation kit. Many of the replacement radios available have a jack you can plug your portable Sat radio into - the one I got also has an iPod adapter.

Tim

mackconsult

Neet ..... I put mine just behind the seats in that same liner in the vertical area. I don't have a high roof so don't have as much room as you. While I was at it I replaced the OEM speakers in the dash. Next is to put two big speakers (with maybe an amp) in back when installing the oak paneling in the ceiling.

Antenna source <http://store.europarts-sd.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2189>

The install kit from Crutchfield includes the DIN tool required to remove the old radio (see 2nd pix.)

The sprinter antenna has a built-in preamplifier that amplifies AM & FM signals. Forum members have reported that failure to connect power to the antenna is most noticeable when trying to receive AM stations.

Be sure to read <http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488&highlight=radio+wiring+harness> especially the part about needing to switch two of the power wires.

For what it's worth, while I was at it I added a couple of speakers to the front headliner using the rear speaker leads on the wiring harness. There is lots of room behind the headliner and it comes off fairly easily. I ran the wires behind the pax airbag and up the right hand window post.

Tim

Hoppingmad

Well I leaned the laddered on the van, crawled up, and the thing is snaped flush with the base, and of course the painter filled it with paint.
No way will I be getting the old one out. Only getting 3 channels I don't like. Will probably replace the base a little lower to protect the whip from overhead snapping .
Maybe something from radio shack.
But I still need to know how to get the radio out of the dash, what can I shove in those slots and what do I do once its in there.

I think the satellite FM transmitter depends on being picked up by the antenna. As the FM extender wires are supposed to be placed as close to the antenna as possible.

Is that roof panel supporting those speakers by itself?
Currently I haven't figured out how to remove the roof panel. Or how to peel off the plastic trim around the edges (door pillars and such)
I don't suppose this is going to require removal of the sliding partition door????????

Last edited:

TimJuhl

Hoppingmad,

First of all, the antenna screws onto a threaded post on the antenna base. You should see if what is left of the stub can be unscrewed - if yes, a replacement antenna can be screwed onto the post.... If the base is broken, then you're looking at a new antenna and base.

Take a look at the picture of the DIN tools that I sent you and you'll get an idea what you need. If you want, I can look for my old set of removal tools (it takes two) and loan them to you. Basically you just need to cut a couple of strips of aluminum or similar metal that will slip into the holes.

I would think holding the SAT FM transmitter next to the radio itself would provide plenty of signal, antenna or no. That said, if it isn't working then maybe the antenna is the key.

The roof panel is supporting the speakers - the panel is about 3/4 of an inch thick and the backing is a soft material - you can cut it with an Xacto knife - you need to make a trim ring out of metal or 1/4 inch plywood for the back to support it.

Check out page 1105 of the service manual....the following pages show how to remove the trim and headliner. You might find it helpful to buy a set of trim removal tools from Harbor Freight. They do the job without marring the trim. The trim snaps into holes in the sheetmetal and it works best to put the removal tool close to the hole so as to put the force where it is needed. The service manual can help you there.

The plastic plugs holding the back of the headliner up are in two pieces. Carefully pull the outer part straight out and off (I used my fingernails), then the inner plug pops out fairly easily with a removal tool or similar object.

My headliner was not attached to the partition. I had the dealer remove the partition before I took delivery so I didn't have to deal with it.

Tim

Hoppingmad

Just a piece of sheet metal? basically just push on some tab and pop it comes off?

Antenna stub is broke off flush, it is not gonna come out of there. Radio shack probably carries an assortment of antennas. If I get the satellite going who needs an antenna anyhow

Sacto John

Hoppingmad,First of all, the antenna screws onto a threaded post on the antenna base. You should see if what is left of the stub can be unscrewed - if yes, a replacement antenna can be screwed onto the post.... If the base is broken, then you're looking at a new antenna and base.
Sorry for the hijack but my antenna is broken off at the base as well. How do you go about removing the base to replace it if I can not unscrew what is left of the antenna?

TimJuhl

Guys,
My memory of the antenna base is that it simply mounts in a round hole and is held in place by a lockwasher and nut screwed tight against the inside metal of the roof. The coax and power wire feed into the base. To gain access you'll have to remove the front headliner. To remove the headliner you'll first want to remove the A and B pillar trim. The service manual has a good explanation of how this is done (see excerpt below.) I've also included a photo of the front with the headliner removed.

The trim is held on by flat plastic tabs with attached metal clips that press into slots in the body of the Sprinter. As I said, you want to be careful when you pry them out. To reinstall, they simply snap back in.

You might be well to consider that one reason that the Sprinter antenna has a preamplifier is because it is so short. It is not practical to install a standard height antenna on the roof unless you want to be catching the overhead power lines while driving. If it were me I'd try to track down an OEM replacement or a compact preamplified aftermarket unit.

Tim

Attachments

katmat

Tim,
can you tell me where the pre amp for the radio antenna is?
I'm thinking that may be my problem with my AM reception.
Thanks,
Matt Murphy

TimJuhl

Matt,
My guess is it is molded into the base of the antenna itself. When I had the headliner off I didn't see a separate box... the 12v wire went right into the antenna.

Tim

katmat

Matt,
My guess is it is molded into the base of the antenna itself. When I had the headliner off I didn't see a separate box... the 12v wire went right into the antenna.

Tim
I did try swapping antenna's /w another Sprinter but i still had the same problem. I'll have to look in the antenna base.

surlyoldbill

I'm not certain, but perhaps the powered antenna is coupled with the stock radio, and would be unecessary with an aftermarket radio. I've always had fine reception without amplified antennas. Mine was also messed up, including the tabs that hold on the outer plastic housing. I used a little JB weld to keep the antenna in the stripped threads, and contact cement and silicone to seal the housing. I've been planning on replacing the antenna with an aftermarket one that is similar (I already bought it last year), but it is not "powered". I currently have an aftermarket CD player, a VR3 that I purchased at Target for $88 that plays MP3 discs as well as having a USB slot to play directly off of thumb drives (I use that most often, because I can put about 100 entire albums on a good size thumb drive, and there are no moving parts or scratches or skipping to deal with), it also has a remote so I can control the radio from the back of the van if I'm too lazy to get up and change it manually. Replacing the entire cable is probably prefered, but it's probably possible to use the existing cable and disconnect the power from the feed end. There are adapters for splicing on new cable to existing. While you have the headliner off, I would suggest running a16-18 gauge wire pair to the area above the rearview mirror for later use as a power source for radar detector, rearview camera monitor, perhaps to power a 22-24" LCD monitor built into the headliner (my plan).

TimJuhl

Guys,
Powered antennas simply make up for the fact that a particular antenna (because of length, material, etc.) is not optimized for good reception in fringe areas (especially AM). Put on a "standard" antenna and you probably don't need one with a preamp. Put on a shorty and I suspect you'll want one with a preamp.

You might consider something like the Metra 44UA30 <http://kollmanradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=8548> At $22 it is a lot cheaper than MB - I haven't used one but it reads like it might do the job.

Surlyoldbill is correct that when you have the headliner off is a good time to run wires. If you look at the attached pix you will see that I installed a Garmin Nuvi GPS and a LCD monitor wired to a backup camera in addition to the wires to the speakers I added. The Garmin and Backup camera turn on and off with the ignition key.

Tim

Attachments

Hoppingmad

Found a screwed splice in antenna wire behind dome light.
Unscrewed it, shoved in a short length of wire, lots of stations now, and satellite adapter works.

blisspacket

2002 T1N, 2014 I4-7spd
Finally figured the secret: radio removal: those two long slender pieces of tin that come with most radios, you insert them into the two slots on the face of the Becker radio that comes in a Sprinter. The tins go in only so far. Angle them toward each other about a sixteenth of an inch until they go in no further. Then spread them away from each other, jiggle and pull. Lo and behold when I got in there, there was a piece of paper with the factory code; I think it started out in life glued to the back of the radio, but it was floating loose. Code was different from the one published in the pdf file....and it got the POS radio working.

Top Bottom