Rear ABS Sensors

Yellasub

Old ABS sensors won’t come out of my new to me rear end. I have the rear end installed but couldn’t install sensors. It will go in reverse and drive around in 1st gear but won’t shift any higher. I would like to bypass the sensors and be able to use van until replacement rear ended comes in.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

Yellasub

99.99% sure. The original speed sensor is zip tied to the brake line. We destroyed the ones in the “new” rear end trying to get them out. The sensors came out easily on the original rear end.

Yellasub

His problem was with the sensors installed. I cant install mine because the sensors on the new rear end are rusted into place.

Sometimes Mother Mercedes is very insistent that her safety features be obeyed. It may not be easy to defeat the CAB aka ABS and still drive.

You might try pulling the ABS control fuses under the driver seat. I believe the 40 amp fuse is power for the pump so it may not need to be disturbed.

My guess is that pulling fuses will cause the shifter to not release, but once you use the pencil trick to release the shifter and get into gear you may be able to drive.

Some fuse information is here.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24683

vic

After further reflection...

Unless you have a Sprinter specific scan tool which can access and clear TCM DTC's, pulling fuses might not be a good thing to try.

The TCM/ECM uses the rear wheel speed sensors to monitor speeds within the transmission. Pulling the ABS fuses may set a lockout type LHM for the TCM.

If you have the proper scan tool, it may be worth pulling fuses to see what happens. (I don't think it will work though. The lack of rear wheel speed information to the TCM is likely what is keeping you from operating, not the ABS use/need of those signals.)

:cheers: vic

Yellasub

Sometimes Mother Mercedes is very insistent that her safety features be obeyed. It may not be easy to defeat the CAB aka ABS and still drive.

You might try pulling the ABS control fuses under the driver seat. I believe the 40 amp fuse is power for the pump so it may not need to be disturbed.

My guess is that pulling fuses will cause the shifter to not release, but once you use the pencil trick to release the shifter and get into gear you may be able to drive.

Some fuse information is here.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24683

vic
That didn’t work.

Eric Experience

Yellasub
A very bad idea. Warm them then spray more wd40 if that is to slow for you Loosen the screws holding the axle in just enough to allow the axle to come out 4or5 mm then tap the sensors in 3mm to loosen them. Eric.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
If you have a machinist who knows what they are doing, sure.

As a note, lack of communication from the ABS/ESP module, or bad WSS signals will not set persistent LHM in the TCM. Any LHM caused by these events will clear on a restart.

Top Bottom