What GPS device?

paraman1

Just curious what GPS device you use if any? I have been looking at some of the Garmin's with the ability to ad a backup camera but after looking at a dozen or so my head starts to swim and I go back to drinking my beer.

Anyone have one they just can't live without?

dan1el

Garmin Etrex 20X for hiking, since it have a good battery life, and Drive 51 for my car. I tried several options before, but I just don't use any extra features.

dzmiller

Gaia GPS on an iphone hiking , and ipad in vehicle. No reason to buy hardware anymore, at least on land.

CB1945

I've gotten used to Adolph's Becker and actually find it works pretty well. A bit of a struggle to make an entry but from there it's fairly accurate.
Initially I was convinced I had to buy an add on GPS but after using the Becker a few times decided to save my dough for beer. :cheers:

ranchworld

'06 158 2500 Passenger
I use a Garmin Nuvi 2639LMT. There is a newer model, the "Drive 60".
6" touchscreen. Big enough to see easily. It does suck to look up destinations compared to an iphone with google maps but it kicks in when we get out of cell range. Most of our trips involve getting out of cell range... I tried GiaGPS and think it has some value but since we often don't know where exactly we will end up and the west is so big downloading maps seems more of a hassle than a benefit. I use a big iphone and google maps in cell range then switch to the Garmin in the boonies. We also print our own paper maps for free from USGS if we know we will be exploring a smaller area like the Blue Mountains during the solar eclipse.

Shawn182

iPad resting on pull out ashtray. And Iphone on mount. Wife uses iPad to cross check iPhone and find the next good place to eat.
All depends on your application and needs, but many iThingy GPS based apps require data connection for full functionality vs stand alone GPS that only needs to see the sat signals anywhere. Have gotten fubared relying on phone for GPS then loosing coverage.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
All depends on your application and needs, but many iThingy GPS based apps require data connection for full functionality vs stand alone GPS that only needs to see the sat signals anywhere. Have gotten fubared relying on phone for GPS then loosing coverage.
Absolutely correct !! Any smart phone or tablet requires a data connection for navigation apps to work, a stand alone GPS only needs a satellite signal...
This difference can be critically important if one is planning to be adventurous and venturing to more remote areas....

Goldfish

You can use any phone or tablet in areas with no signal provided your device has a built in GPS receiver and the maps on the device.
Stand alone devices mostly are activated for specific countries but maps of any countries can be installed on a phone or device.
I use an older iPhone with Sygic world wide version. I can download any country/ states that I am off to and remove when I need space for some other places!

RVCuisineScene

FWIW, I lived aboard a sailing catamaran for over 11 years and spent the past three summers as the Capt. of a commercial fishing boat in Alaska. Depends on where you plan on going, Garmin makes some good products which are stand alone in terms of not needing being online to function, many iPhone apps rely on wifi connectivity. On the fishing boat we carry numerous GPS-chart-plotters; from a large screen Dell computer with commercial grade software hooked up to a stand alone GPS antenna to my iPhone 6. If I had two choose just one I would go with an iPad with an internal GPS function loaded with Garmin software the advantage is not needing the internet and have a larger screen than an iPhone.

Still running an old 2720 Garmin StreetPilot but it's out of storage for updates so a good RV Garmin is on our list. If I could add memory to it I'd keep it.

Like others we go places where "no service" is common so a sat based GPS is essential. We use iPhone and iPad as a second opinion in congested areas.

axelp

Hi, first post. For a cheap and easy yet incredibly powerful setup, You all need to check out osmand+ for android. It is mapping and navigation app built around openstreetmaps. You download the maps for the States you need and it works flawlessly without cellular data signal. You can download hill shade files and topographic layers as well. You can even download Wikipedia entries for POIs for and given state. I have been using openstreetmaps for years and I find it is leaps and bounds better that googl, especially for including hiking and biking trails. Osmand+ is a serious cartography tool, there is a learning curve to get the most out of it, but it is well worth the effort IMO. Also, I recommend installing it via the Fdroid store rather than gapps, that was it costs nothing ! Though if you find it useful it is worthwhile to donate to the project. It is an open source / libre licensed code base and needs the support of its user community .

If there are any gnu/Linux users here who like to tinker, there is also a project called foxtrotgps, that I have used extensively on trips. I run it on a touchscreen thinkpad which I rig up to the center console. It requires an external GPS dongle (unless you laptop has a module built in, like some Panasonic toughbook models). Foxtrot GPS also uses openstreetmap tile data that is downloaded to your device , it is a bit simplistic when compared to osmand+, but quite functional for GPS tracing and passive navigating (no directions). If anyone is interested in foxtrotgps, I can provide more details, there are some quirks I have learned to work around by changing minor settings in the source code before compiling. I would be happy to help out.

Edit: RVCuisineScene, check out openCPN for nautical chartplotting it is free software and works flawlessly, I use it on a laptop while, cruising . It can even interface with AIS receivers and other NEMA devices. A+

Last edited:

gvb

Gaia on an iPad with a Garmin inReach or if you don’t want to pay a monthly fee there is the Dual.

gvb

I’m curious as to what mounting device people use for a Tablet so you can use it for navigation. Jeep has many options. Sprinters have none as far as my research goes.

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Just curious what GPS device you use if any? I have been looking at some of the Garmin's with the ability to ad a backup camera but after looking at a dozen or so my head starts to swim and I go back to drinking my beer.

Anyone have one they just can't live without?

How about a $$$$ Garmin Overland. Got one and used it for about 4500 miles; 70% overland/30% asphalt. Has on file local Dispersed campgrounds within 50 miles of any Town you're getting into. Build in Topos are great. One can add if you can afford it: inReach so the you can call home.

cheers...

mad-max

I'm looking for a new GPS WITH TRUCK STOPS AND CAMPGROUNDS. I've been using the Garmin 785, very hard to use, When u ask for the next truck stop it gives U truck stops behind where i came from and every where isle, U have to be careful to choice along your route.
Now it goes dead when I'm driving, its seems like a bad battery.
I'd like move away from Garmin, but over whelmed by all the GPS's being offered. I stop at truck stops a lot and don't spend much time at camp grounds, my RV is a travel RV, going to events around the country's . Highway and truck stops are importin.
What's a good GPS, easy to use with WiFi for updates, big screen ????????????????

Top Bottom