Parking brake handle delete - Linear Motor

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
I did not connect the ignition safety wire so mine can work as an emergency brake.
Well, that's a simple solution! :cheers:

Can you tell a little about the operation - do you have to keep the ignition on while the brake is setting? How long does it take to set and release? Is there some way to release the brake without electric power (thinking of a breakdown situation where power might not be available)?

JFloFoto

Can you tell a little about the operation - do you have to keep the ignition on while the brake is setting? How long does it take to set and release? Is there some way to release the brake without electric power (thinking of a breakdown situation where power might not be available)?
System becomes operable with key in position 1 the way I have it wired up.

~3.5-4 seconds to fully engage or disengage.

The only way to release the engaged parking brake in a power failure is to get under the van and disconnect the cable. One nut to remove which would take about a minute.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
FYI - one of the new features on the new Sprinters is an electric parking brake option. From the Feb 2018 press release announcing new Sprinter:

"The electric parking brake is a USP in the large van segment, and offers decisive convenience benefits: access from the cab to the living area is made easier thanks to the absence of a hand brake lever."

Source:
https://media.daimler.com/marsMedia...er-for-any-business-sector.xhtml?oid=33195757

Based on photos included in the press release the electric parking brake is a high end option as photos of basic versions still have the hand brake.

BTW: USP = Unique Selling Proposition

skirunman

2019 order code, B25- Electrical Parking Brake - $340 approx (260 pounds in the UK). It is a button on the left hand side of the dash next to the headlights.

Re: Parking brake handle delete

No welding involved! Only cutting with an angle grinder I picked up at Harbor Freight for $10.

Does this thing have the ability to crank/pull harder at times? I find that when I park on the sloped part of my driveway, I have to pull up much harder/higher in order for the van to hold...have you found anything like that with this unit? Is there a way to increase the tension if/when necessary to keep the van from moving?

This is really cool...

F2ca170

I have a late model Ford Edge Sport (twin turbo w/ 335hp) that has an electric ebrake, and it's nice.

Great mod for the Sprinter. I'm interested, thanks for sharing!

Re: Parking brake handle delete

... I find that when I park on the sloped part of my driveway, I have to pull up much harder/higher in order for the van to hold...have you found anything like that with this unit? ...
FWIW.

The Sprinter parking brakes are notorious for failing the MOT safety inspections in the UK. The UK requires them to pass an actual operation/holding power test. Here in New York State the only test is for mechanical function. If the handle applies the brakes you are good to go.

As Dennis mentioned, there is a star wheel adjustment on the shoes which may help. Failing that, to achieve optimal performance the parking brake small shoes may need to be roughed up with sandpaper or replaced.

My opinion.
The Sprinter mechanical brakes are a parking brake at best. There is no way that they should be considered an emergency brake. If your hydraulic brakes fail, of course you should try pulling the brake handle as you are focused upon downshifting and steering toward the safest escape route. The parking brake may stop you... eventually.

Everyone should try using their parking brakes for a stopping test just to get an idea of their operating capability. The results may be eye opening.

:cheers: vic

Last edited:
Thank you for the great write up. I intend to follow your example. My need is to create room for the largest Dometic 12v cooler possible on my 09. That handle is cramping my style. For anyone reading this that is wanting to move the handle to accomodate a swivel seat base on an 07 to 10 should first consider the "fold down" handle that is actually a Merc part. https://europarts-sd.com/parkingbrakehandle-folding2007-2010.asp Thanks again for your great help.

CactusJackSlade

Nice mod, but I can think of two instances where you want your parking brake lever: What happens if there is an electrical failure - does it still work? Also in 4wd conditions sometimes I use the parking brake to modulate more/less power to the front wheels in a sticky situation. This being said this is an infrequent situation. Makes is so clean though I will be contemplating this....

I did not connect the ignition safety wire so mine can work as an emergency brake.

FIrst reaction is to make sure that the button is in a sufficiently safe location that it cannot be engaged by accident. Think what would happen if an ebrake was pulled at 75mph. Maybe use a switch with a cover such as those seen being used in Top Gun to fire a missle. They are easily obtained. I'm considering this solution to free up more space between the seats for a freezer but I want to consider all of the options. Before installing this, did you find any way to relocate the actual e-brake to in front of the seat base or behind it? I was thinking I'd like to keep it because it would allow "feathering" the handle to stop in a runaway situation such as brake loss on a downhill. have the e-brake be binary as in either full on or full off sounds risky to me. Any thoughts?

GypySun

You know that poorly placed, plastic covered excuse for a parking brake handle/obstacle between the driver and passenger seats? Well I deleted it and replaced it with a push button. No more mechanical brake pull for me. I've gone electric and what a joy it is to be free of that POS.

Here's what I got - an EStopp ESK001 Electric Emergency/Parking Brake:

Here's what it normally looks like under the van where the business takes place - one cable from the handle (left side) pulling both rear brakes (right side):

I modified the existing hardware to install the EStopp cable. I cut off the arm that attached the single cable from the OEM handle to the system. I used the remaining bracket to hold the EStopp cable:

I then fabricated a mounting plate for the EStopp and then attached it all it using holes in the frame:

The most fun part was grinding off the parking brake handle mount. It put up a fight, but lost. Finally wired up the button and mounted it in the driver's base. Its the silver button above the 12v plug:

The difference is dramatic:

Overall it was definitely worth the time and effort.

Looking at installing an E-Stopp on a 2019 170 WB and was wondering what did you do with the wires that are part of the "Sprinter Hand Brake" system? Will it throw an error if not connected? Normally when one engages the original parking brake there is a light that appears on the dash that signals the engagement of the "emergency brake". What happens when you don't connect these two cables ? Thank you for posting a great idea for getting rid of the oggly hand brake and I look forward to your reply.

JFloFoto

I used a transistor that closes the circuit on those wires when the E-brake engages. I get the red circle parking brake icon on the dash.

JFloFoto

FIrst reaction is to make sure that the button is in a sufficiently safe location that it cannot be engaged by accident. Think what would happen if an ebrake was pulled at 75mph. Maybe use a switch with a cover such as those seen being used in Top Gun to fire a missle. They are easily obtained. I'm considering this solution to free up more space between the seats for a freezer but I want to consider all of the options. Before installing this, did you find any way to relocate the actual e-brake to in front of the seat base or behind it? I was thinking I'd like to keep it because it would allow "feathering" the handle to stop in a runaway situation such as brake loss on a downhill. have the e-brake be binary as in either full on or full off sounds risky to me. Any thoughts?

No need. The button is recessed.

MS42

2014 Freightliner 3500
You know that poorly placed, plastic covered excuse for a parking brake handle/obstacle between the driver and passenger seats? Well I deleted it and replaced it with a push button. No more mechanical brake pull for me. I've gone electric and what a joy it is to be free of that POS.

Here's what I got - an EStopp ESK001 Electric Emergency/Parking Brake:

Here's what it normally looks like under the van where the business takes place - one cable from the handle (left side) pulling both rear brakes (right side):

I modified the existing hardware to install the EStopp cable. I cut off the arm that attached the single cable from the OEM handle to the system. I used the remaining bracket to hold the EStopp cable:

I then fabricated a mounting plate for the EStopp and then attached it all it using holes in the frame:

The most fun part was grinding off the parking brake handle mount. It put up a fight, but lost. Finally wired up the button and mounted it in the driver's base. Its the silver button above the 12v plug:

The difference is dramatic:

Overall it was definitely worth the time and effort.

Is there some reason you can’t just hook the cable to the same point on the arm where the OEM cable is attached?

GypySun

I used a transistor that closes the circuit on those wires when the E-brake engages. I get the red circle parking brake icon on the dash.
Hi ! I don’t know if you received my reply. First I want to thank you for responding to my question. Can I ask you elaborate a little bit more as to how you connected a transistor (what kind of transistor ?) and how does one go about connecting it to the wires. Much appreciate so detail and pictures would really help. I am deep into the installing the E-Stopp on my van - see attached pictures. Again thank you for all of your help

GypySun

Hi ! I don’t know if you received my reply. First I want to thank you for responding to my question. Can I ask you elaborate a little bit more as to how you connected a transistor (what kind of transistor ?) and how does one go about connecting it to the wires. Much appreciate so detail and pictures would really help. I am deep into the installing the E-Stopp on my van - see attached pictures. Again thank you for all of your help

Attachments

GypySun

Oh... one last thing ... have you had any issues with the black casing that is slightly bent ? Another words... does the cable travel in and out without any issues given the slight curve of the casing that encapsulates the wire ??

JFloFoto

I used a simple transistor like this:

Screenshot_20210401-055319.png

That's just an example, not the exact one I used. This will replace the OEM parking brake contact switch. Without pulling my seat I can't remember exactly how it was wired, so you'll just have to experiment.

WRT the cable, obviously a straight cable is preferred. A slight bend shouldn't create a wear problem however.

Top Bottom