See Through Your Murphy Bed Without X-ray Vision

aarpskier

2017 LTV Unity FX
One FX / MB design feature that puzzles and frustrates us are windows behind the Murphy bed that you can't see or get ventilation through during the day with the bed up, and don't need to see through at night with the bed down. So we remedied that flaw by adding a couple portholes.

We can reach through the portholes to open and close the windows for ventilation. Total cost of this modification is $100. The project takes about 4-5 hours. Step-by-step instructions for this modification, with 14 photoraphs, are attached.

We will be at the 2018 Winkler Rally, September 5-8. Please stop by if you would like to see this modification in person!

Attachments

Last edited:

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
If you have the details with pictures on a pdf, why not just upload the pdf so everyone who wants to see your mod can. I'd love to see just one picture of your mod. If you could upload just one picture with your post would be very helpful. To upload a pdf just click the paper clip symbol on the advanced screen. See post#5 on this thread, https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=678466#post678466 for tip on resizing and uploading pictures.

Last edited:

aarpskier

2017 LTV Unity FX
I thought I included a picture with the original post, but just realized album to which the link refers was inadvertently marked "private." Fixed that, so picture should now appear. And I never knew about attachments to a post, so to paraphrase Scarecrow, "I learned something today whether I wanted to or not.." Thanks, SSTraveler! :cheers: (See attachment)

Attachments

TStiles

2018 Unity CB
Aarpskier:
You solved the #1 issue that prevented us from considering a MB configuration. Your solution should be considered seriously by Triple E. It is simple, straightforward, and it works!

aarpskier

2017 LTV Unity FX
Aarpskier:
Your solution should be considered seriously by Triple E. It is simple, straightforward, and it works!
Thanks. Don Klassen is going to take a look at it next week in Winkler. This would be a very easy and inexpensive feature for LTV, because they could get a component manufacturer to custom mold the necessary frames and trims, and provide an opening cover much cheaper than a waterproof glass window.

Rplane

2018 LTV Unity 24MB
What an impressive post. Great instructions. I never would have thought of this.

Thanks for the details and pics.

aarpskier

2017 LTV Unity FX
UPDATE TO ORIGINAL POST:

At the 2018 Rally in Winkler last week, several MB and FX owners stopped in our coach to view our Murphy bed window installation, as did four (4) LTV folks. Angelo, LTV's chief designer, suggested that it was probably not necessary to leave the porthole glass and its frame in place, opening it in the morning and closing it at night, because the opening is relatively small and the mattress is pretty stiff and does not need support to span the opening. After now using the installation for more than a week, I agree. When we get home in a few weeks, I plan to remove the glass and its frame, and cut down and sand smooth the attachment points for both the glass and the already-removed locking mechanisms. I have updated the instructions accordingly (attached), to reflect that this work can / should be done during the 1st construction step.

Attachments

Danarbor

2017/2018 Unity Twin Bed
Thank you, aarpskier, for all of the work you did documenting and sharing your Murphy Bed modification. I don't have a Murphy Bed model so I have no need for the modification you did....I just really appreciate when people like yourself take the time to share their ideas, knowledge and experience with other forum members. That's what makes this forum such a valuable resource. :clapping:

aarpskier

2017 LTV Unity FX
Did the LTV people give any indication of interest in adding it to future MB or making a Retro fit kit?
I think we could see it in future model years. Several LTV folks came to look at the installation, including Angelo Natuzzi (designer), and a fellow from R&D who sat at our lunch table and said he had already seen the modification on the forum and downloaded the instructions. All were very complimentary ("It looks like a factory install"). Angelo opined that LTV could make the trim frame very easily in-house and it would take them only seconds to cut the holes. He also noted that LTV could order the folded part of the mattress wider, which would allow them to increase the vertical size of the window opening by a couple of inches. So, time will tell .... :popcorn:

greglocke

Leisure Travelin' Lockes
I just watched RV Lifestyle from the Salt Lake City RVX show, hosted by Mike & Jennifer Wendland. As you may know, they recently turned in their loaner Roadtrek RV due to the Erwin Hymer Group/Roadtrek financial issues. LTV loaned them a Wonder RTB for a month and they reported on it as they drove to RVX.

While there, they purchased a 2019 Unity FX as their new RV. It has a version of your porthole modified Murphy bed in it. Smaller windows, no apparent opening covers/framing but with a plywood hinged cover, against the folded mattress that drops down when the bed is lowered.

It appears that your great idea was thought so by Leisure as well. Kudos for a great innovation and design.

Greg & Marsha Locke
www.leisuretravelinlockes.com

aarpskier

2017 LTV Unity FX
... a 2019 Unity FX as their new RV. It has a version of your porthole modified Murphy bed in it. Smaller windows, no apparent opening covers/framing but with a plywood hinged cover, against the folded mattress that drops down when the bed is lowered. It appears that your great idea was thought so by Leisure as well. Kudos for a great innovation and design.

Greg & Marsha Locke
www.leisuretravelinlockes.com
G & M: Thanks for the heads up. I watched the Wendlandt's video, as well as LTV's 2019 FX promo video (again). This was my first exposure to the Wendlandts and their videos. I will confine my comments to the windows.

1. This is not an unexpected development. (See my 2018-09-18 post above).

2. This is either an LTV mid-model year change, or it did this as an R&D project just for the Wendlant's unit, so it could get some real-world feedback. The openings are not shown in LTV's 2019 FX promo video.

3. It's hard to tell from the video, but it appears that LTV's openings are square, and while higher are not as wide as the oblong portholes I used. I am not sure why LTV would do that, given that the sidewall windows have not changed.

4. The flop-down panel is interesting. At the 2018 rally, LTV designer Angelo Natuzzi suggested that I could remove the glass from my portholes as unnecessary because there was sufficient support for the mattress extension. I did that, and he was correct. However, with square openings, LTV may have decided that the mattress extension needed support. And, the panel does make for a more finished look that hides the end / top of the mattress from view with the bed up.

5. I would have expected a more finished molding around the openings, which look a little raw. And rounded, rather than 90 degree corners. Again, however, this may be due to a rush R&D installation for the Wendlant's unit.

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Given that I have no utility patent, I don't expect any royalties to start pouring in!:laughing:

I wonder if leisure will sell it as retro fit.
Flex: I don't see this as a retrofit, except in the form of a factory modification. That is, it would not be worth the cost to ship out an entire new platform, but LTV's shop could do this project, cutting new holes in an existing platform, in a couple of hours at most. But this is not a hard project to do, using the directions I posted. Now, with the LTV / Wendlandt video, one doesn't even need marine portholes. Just careful measurements, cutting of holes of appropriate size, trimming out the openings with nice looking molding and addition of the hinged panel. Piece of cake. :thumbup:

aarpskier

2017 LTV Unity FX
Here is LTV's execution of our Murphy Bed window idea in the 2019 1/2 FX sold to the Wendlands. Not constrained by the size of purchased "portholes", and with in-house trim molding capability, LTV was able to increase its openings vertically..

Last edited:

Zoe

Here is LTV's execution of our Murphy Bed window idea in the 2019 1/2 FX sold to the Wendlands. Not constrained by the size of purchased "portholes", and with in-house trim molding capability, LTV was able to increase its openings vertically..

They say that it is a prototype, and may not be on production coaches.

Zoe

By my sales person. Not definite but she seems to think it won’t be included at this time. She just came from a big dealers meeting in Canada.

aarpskier

2017 LTV Unity FX
Latest word direct from Winkler is that this feature will not be available on the 2019 or 2020 FX or MB. So, do-it-yourself or hiring a local craftsman are apparently the only options.

Last edited:

aarpskier

2017 LTV Unity FX
I wonder why not? It seems such a wonderful addition.
I agree, as do the dozen or so FX and MB owners to whom we have shown our installation.

I am not wild about LTV's R&D execution in the Wendlands' FX. If I were going to offer this as a standard or optional feature from the factory, I would:

1) Lower the top edge of the LTV attempt by 3". Making the opening square lets shorter folks see the ceiling and top of the window, not out. On the other hand, I am 6"4", and can see fine out of our rectangular "portholes." Tall folks don't need to look down at the outside windows. These openings are just too big, for no practical reason. IMO rectangles look better and are perfectly functional.

2) Make the openings with rounded corners like the rest of the Unity windows. Not a fan of the 90 degree corners.

3) Use u-channel plastic moldings that match the moldings in the rest of the coach. The R&D windows look unfinished.

But what do I know. :idunno: These are great machines out the Winkler door, and yet each of us thinks of ways to customize and make his or her coach "better." :thumbup:

Top Bottom