Scanner to clear transmission limp mode T1N NAG1

eralimited57

2008 Sprinter 2500 170 Extended High Top 3.0L CRD
Re: What type of scanner to clear transmission limp mode

One advantage I see with the IcarSoft over the MD802 is that it the IcarSoft can do forced regenerations. Is this a true statement? If one does more city driving and using for shorter trips I see an advantage of doing forced regens. The only downside I see is using a bit more fuel to do so but for keeping the DPF clean this might be a good thing?

calbiker

You sure? It had been my impression that if the actual failure is fixed, normal operation will commence without clearing codes. The fault will no longer be active.

I'm skeptical the OP could clear the fault code to get rid of limp mode. I'm thinking there's still some fault present.

There are actually some codes/faults in the TCM, that once set, will create a persistent LHM until cleared. I do not have a specific list of these codes though. It may be that these codes remain flagged as "active" in the TCM, even after a power loss or restart.

rjc3

You sure? It had been my impression that if the actual failure is fixed, normal operation will commence without clearing codes. The fault will no longer be active.

I'm skeptical the OP could clear the fault code to get rid of limp mode. I'm thinking there's still some fault present.
You can't clear the Limp Mode by repairing the problem and disconnecting the battery etc. This is the third time I've had to repair the transmission harness on the two vans I have. You have to clear the fault codes in the TCM and the ECU. I'm going to zip ty poly fishing net underneath the engine compartment to try and close it off.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi

One advantage I see with the IcarSoft over the MD802 is that it the IcarSoft can do forced regenerations. Is this a true statement?
Possibly on an NCV3 but definitely NOT on a T1N!!!

You can only do a regen on a vehicle if it has a DPF fitted and T1N's never did, so QED.

Keith.

That is true with the ECM aka ECU.

Depending upon the problem that triggers the fault, the TCM can set a lockout LHM (2nd, reverse only operation) which needs to be cleared even after proper repairs have been effected.

There are some TCM fault conditions which set a lower level LHM lockout that doesn't need scan tool reset. There are some which set a severe LHM lockout which doesn't allow any transmission operation at all.

Experience shows that faults such as the TCM getting soaked by rain water (don't ever forget your windows if raining), electrical body connector improperly seated for re-installation, rodent damage to wire harnesses, etc. can set the hard lockout LHM on a transmission.

Again, there are some lower level faults which may allow transmission operation to return without a scan tool reset, but the OP fault needs a scan tool even after proper repairs are effected.

:2cents: vic

eralimited57

2008 Sprinter 2500 170 Extended High Top 3.0L CRD

Possibly on an NCV3 but definitely NOT on a T1N!!!

You can only do a regen on a vehicle if it has a DPF fitted and T1N's never did, so QED.

Keith.
Yes, I am saying that on an NCV3 the IcarSoft MB II will do a forced regen whereas the MD802 will not.

And it looks like the IcarSoft MB II will do everything the MD802 will do except for live stream printouts. The IcarSoft can be had for $150.

It seems like the way to go as long as one understands that it is limited to certain MBs including the Sprinter.

Last edited:

rjc3

I bought an MD808 Pro. Seemed like the best option for me at the DIY level of scanners. I can access all modules and clear codes. I wanted something I could use on all my vehicles.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Yeah, Vic hit the nail on the head there. I once had a customer who had a leaky transmission electrical plug. Very common for Sprinters. Fluid wicked up the harness into the TCM. Limp mode that can only be cleared by erasing the codes with a scanner. A Shop replaced plug and TCM. Still in limp mode. Weeks later and many $$$$, a new transmission was put in. Still in limp mode. He found me, came over and 10 minutes later, everything was good. I felt so bad I couldn't charge him a thing even though he wanted to pay me!

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Many fault codes/causes will set a permanent LHM in the TCM. Even if the problem is solved, the LHM will persist until the codes are cleared from the TCM by a compatible scanner.

It should also be noted that there may be transmission related companion DTC's set in the ECM aka ECU. Those companion codes can be cleared by a generic OBDII scan tool, but do not affect (clear) the actual DTC's held in the TCM module. Even if proper transmission related repairs were successful, clearing the ECM companion codes only will not restore the transmission to normal operation.

:cheers: vic

sugawi

It should also be noted that there may be transmission related companion DTC's set in the ECM aka ECU. Those companion codes can be cleared by a generic OBDII scan tool, but do not affect (clear) the actual DTC's held in the TCM module. Even if proper transmission related repairs were successful, clearing the ECM companion codes only will not restore the transmission to normal operation.

Will any of the scan tools like Autel MD802/MD808 or Icarsoft MBII will clear DTC’s held in the TCM on T1N?

Will any of the scan tools like Autel MD802/MD808 or Icarsoft MBII will clear DTC’s held in the TCM on T1N?
Yes. All of the above.

Reports are that you can be in the wrong area of the scan tool which can make it appear that the tool won't work. When I use my iCarsoft MBII or MD808 and don't find what I need I hunt around a bit and sometimes try the various similar models.

Others may have more specific advice.

dbeyer

Got dreaded P0715 & P2200. Stuck in TCM limp home allowing only 2nd and reverse.
Replaced electrical conductor plate and electrical connector.
Cleared codes with Autel MaxFlash Elite J2534 in ECM and TCM.

Codes were cleared but still in LHM. :bash:

Limping the 3 miles home from shop the CEL came back on with P0715. Do I need to get dealer, sprinter specific tool or is something else going on.

I'm so confused :thinking:

Limping the 3 miles home from shop the CEL came back on with P0715. Do I need to get dealer, sprinter specific tool or is something else going on.

I'm so confused :thinking:
If the root problem(s) aren't resolved the simple act of clearing the DTC's won't restore proper operation.

Please start a new thread for your specific problem. This is a scan tool discussion thread.

limerence

Hi Vic and RJC3,

Could you guide me on what menu options to hit on the scanner to clear the TCM? I have the Autel MD808 Pro as well. Still learning on my way on it so I wanted to make sure I am indeed clearing it. My '06 hasn't been driven much after my wiring harness got severed due to it catching the fan blade. I soldered and heat shrinked the wires back but still had a lingering limp mode of about 3k rpms. Vic, in reading your post, I didn't link that the severed wiring harness caused the LHM and thought that it just needed a tranny service coincidentally, which I did but still to no avail. I am hoping the lingering cause is that I never cleared the TCM correctly.

Thanks,
John

Top Bottom