AC diagnosis

thereverend

Well just wanted to give everyone a heads up. Took my 2006 Sprinter 2500 to a garage the other day. The AC was not working. I was told that the Compressor and the Controller were bad. NOT buying that they both were bad and the $1200 bill they were trying to con me out of I decided to do my own diag. I checked the cable coming from the controller to the Compressor and What do you know.. IT had constant power with no interruption. The Compressor WAS in fact bad but the controller was not.. Got the compressor @ NAPA with the dryer and pressure thing for $340. Installed it myself.. 5 hours of hard work and if you do end up doing it yourself I would strongly suggest you have a full implement of tools such as but not limited to : Allen Wrench, Torex, American and Metric tools as well as LONG extension for your ratchet. GLOVES you will get filthy but thats half the fun and watch out if the system is NOT completely empty as you will get a wonderful green sliming when you pop off the 1st connector. Make sure tho that you PULL a vacume to get all of the crap and mosture out before charging the system or your repair may not work as good as you think ... ALSO the little tits that are on the AC tend to get stuck or rusted on the hoses. You can carefully unstick this by CAREFULLY drilling out the pin. DO NOT RUSH IT.. go size by size till it comes out on its own... Patients is rewarding or could cost you $50 for rushing.. Just wanted to share my experience with everyone.. Its a pain in the rear to do.. Having an extra pair of hands helps with this project to hold the compressor in place while bolting back in and keeping it from landing on your face.. :bash:

Pasieka

Well just wanted to give everyone a heads up. Took my 2006 Sprinter 2500 to a garage the other day. The AC was not working. I was told that the Compressor and the Controller were bad. NOT buying that they both were bad and the $1200 bill they were trying to con me out of I decided to do my own diag. I checked the cable coming from the controller to the Compressor and What do you know.. IT had constant power with no interruption. The Compressor WAS in fact bad but the controller was not.. Got the compressor @ NAPA with the dryer and pressure thing for $340. Installed it myself.. 5 hours of hard work and if you do end up doing it yourself I would strongly suggest you have a full implement of tools such as but not limited to : Allen Wrench, Torex, American and Metric tools as well as LONG extension for your ratchet. GLOVES you will get filthy but thats half the fun and watch out if the system is NOT completely empty as you will get a wonderful green sliming when you pop off the 1st connector. Make sure tho that you PULL a vacume to get all of the crap and mosture out before charging the system or your repair may not work as good as you think ... ALSO the little tits that are on the AC tend to get stuck or rusted on the hoses. You can carefully unstick this by CAREFULLY drilling out the pin. DO NOT RUSH IT.. go size by size till it comes out on its own... Patients is rewarding or could cost you $50 for rushing.. Just wanted to share my experience with everyone.. Its a pain in the rear to do.. Having an extra pair of hands helps with this project to hold the compressor in place while bolting back in and keeping it from landing on your face.. :bash:
Think the green slime may have been poe oil and leaksealer dye.... if it glows under ultraviolet 355nm light that's what it was... you can also get a micron vacuum gauge pretty cheap and check to see if you have any leaks .. I you get down to 400 microns or below... good.. 600 or more, look for a leak.... could take more then an hour with a 5cfm pump if u have significant moisture in the system.. sweeping the system with dry nitrogen and pressurizing to check for leaks before investing the time to pull a vacuum is a good practice as well...

you lost me on the drilling of tits.. thinking your talking about schraeder valves and the leak sealer had epoxies them.. and that's where u were leaking....
I would never add leak sealer to a system unless I knew the leak was in the evap and valued my time by not dissassembling more then the components that will not come apart in the future without destroying...

Had to rock auto a new condenser and high side hose because a 2 cent o ring leaked and the epoxy destroyed the flare fitting when attempting to dissassemble while doing the harmonic balancer.. I would suggest just rotating the pressurized condenser clockwise and out of the way for anyone dealing with the balancer
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The solder on the control relay for the clutch in the head unit sometimes cracks too so if you're nonfunctioning compressor returns that may be the cause.

Top Bottom