Replacing carpet in g24 with flooring

Mikolia69

Once in a while you get shown the light....
Has anyone repacked the carpet with flooring? I am planning on doing it this year but it seems like cutting the carpet out and replacing with flooring may be a bit difficult with all the cabinet angles, etc.

Im also looking to redo the entire bathroom. The bathroom pan has some cracks in it due to the foam wearing out underneath. I have patch the floor with roofing tape, but it need a better fix.

So has anyone done a bathroom repair or a flooring redo in their G24 or similar van? Id love to hear some insights before I start.

lance_k

It looks like mine came stock with vinyl flooring, it runs under all the compartments under the shower etc. Have you looked under the shower to see if perhaps your's already has that? Maybe the previous owner just put carpet in on top.

NewfD90

Mine has factory vinyl flooring as well. When I purchased it, the previous owner had stuck down carpet everywhere. I was able to remove it and get back to the original flooring. Much better!

Mikolia69

Interesting that some came with flooring and some with carpet.

Mine came with carpet originally. It goes under the cabinets as well and with all the angles of the cabinets it looks like a bear to cut it out and install flooring.

So Im hoping someone has done this and can give me some pointers.

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
Interesting that some came with flooring and some with carpet.

Mine came with carpet originally. It goes under the cabinets as well and with all the angles of the cabinets it looks like a bear to cut it out and install flooring.

So Im hoping someone has done this and can give me some pointers.
Same here. Mine came with carpet,...appears to be original,...it goes under all the cabinets,..and would like to change to vinyl sheet or planks.

Mikolia69

Same here. Mine came with carpet,...appears to be original,...it goes under all the cabinets,..and would like to change to vinyl sheet or planks.
Hopefully someone has done it and sees our posts! The big problem I see is cutting and fitting any flooring to look good and fit right under all the various angles of the cabinets.

ozarkian

I had carpet and replaced it with vinyl plank flooring. The carpet was too dirty to get clean and was wearing out. I used a sharp utility knife and found I could angle the cut and remove The carpet so none of it showed. (except what was in the floor of the cabinet) I used a high quality vinyl and it cut easily around all the angles. This is a floating floor so it wants to move around. I then made some very small quarter round moulding stained to match the flooring. That hides the gap at the edge and ensures the edges don't lift up. Square feet is a pain to figure. I bought two boxes and through very careful work used just one. Love it! Easy to clean and looks great. I have a rubber back throw rug at the side door to wipe off our feet. Since the planks are much thinner than the carpet the screws holding down your table socket will extend farther into the storage compartment. Use shorter screws.

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
Thanks for the response. Helpful info. What do you mean by floating floor and any chance of a picture (it will have to be medium or small resolution for you to be able to attach it)

Mikolia69

I had carpet and replaced it with vinyl plank flooring. The carpet was too dirty to get clean and was wearing out. I used a sharp utility knife and found I could angle the cut and remove The carpet so none of it showed. (except what was in the floor of the cabinet) I used a high quality vinyl and it cut easily around all the angles. This is a floating floor so it wants to move around. I then made some very small quarter round moulding stained to match the flooring. That hides the gap at the edge and ensures the edges don't lift up. Square feet is a pain to figure. I bought two boxes and through very careful work used just one. Love it! Easy to clean and looks great. I have a rubber back throw rug at the side door to wipe off our feet. Since the planks are much thinner than the carpet the screws holding down your table socket will extend farther into the storage compartment. Use shorter screws.
Thanks so much for this. I would love to see a couple of pix if you have the time. Does the floor have adhesive on the back or is it truly floating? How about the edge by the side door? did the plastic step panel fit back overtop of the flooring ok? How long did it take? Any troubles with the job you had?

ozarkian

First the floor is floating. That means that the only thing holding it down is gravity. This is a problem when starting the job because the planks move around too easily. I used some carpet (2-sided) tape along one edge but the grab of the tape is not very good because of the floor type. Also, I'm told vinyl planks expand and contract with temperature more so than sheet vinyl. That's why it has to float. Here's a pic of an edge with moulding. I used a trim (18ga) nail gun to secure the moulding to the cabinet.

Yes the door trim will go over the planks and the screws help hold everything securely. I drilled the holes into the planks. I used pan head screws to keep from snagging.

There was one tricky part for me. The transition to under the front flooring was not quite right due to the way the floor pan is stamped and I had to use a filler strip.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
Thanks for taking the time to take the pics and post them up. If you had to do this over again,...would you do it differently?

Wondering if sheet vinyl or something that was put down with adhesive would be easier?

Brian in San Antonio

ozarkian

Hmmmmmmm Good question. The only thing I would do differently was try not to be so cheap. I used every scrap of flooring rather than open a second box so there are many small pieces. I think using sheet vinyl would be difficult. There is so little room to maneuver it would be difficult to cut. I have seen a technique where paper is taped up to create a pattern, brought out and laid on the vinyl then cut. I would be willing to use glue down vinyl tiles before I would use sheet vinyl. But I like the look of my vinyl planks.

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
First the floor is floating. That means that the only thing holding it down is gravity. This is a problem when starting the job because the planks move around too easily. I used some carpet (2-sided) tape along one edge but the grab of the tape is not very good because of the floor type. Also, I'm told vinyl planks expand and contract with temperature more so than sheet vinyl. That's why it has to float. Here's a pic of an edge with moulding. I used a trim (18ga) nail gun to secure the moulding to the cabinet.

Yes the door trim will go over the planks and the screws help hold everything securely. I drilled the holes into the planks. I used pan head screws to keep from snagging.

There was one tricky part for me. The transition to under the front flooring was not quite right due to the way the floor pan is stamped and I had to use a filler strip.

Hope that helps
Thanks Ozarkian. I bought some adhesive backed vinyl plank flooring, and then pulled up some of my carpet to discover that it was not a particle board or plywood floor,....rather it appears to be some kind of a black rubber mat. Is this what you had under your carpet?

So, thinking that means that I will have to go with a floating floor as well since I don't think that the adhesive on self stick vinyl planks will stick to the rubber mat.

Could I get your thoughts on that, and also, could you post a few pics of what your floor looks like from normal standing height so we can see what the floor looks like as a whole.

Thanks,
Brian in San Antonio

ozarkian

My floor was also rubberized and it was so difficult to clean in order for even tape to stick to it. That was why I think floating is the better choice. Here is a not-too-good picture of the floor.

Attachments

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
My floor was also rubberized and it was so difficult to clean in order for even tape to stick to it. That was why I think floating is the better choice. Here is a not-too-good picture of the floor.
OH, looks good. Your interior layout is different from mine,...You have a nice straight walkway,...mine has some variances in it,....and is also a different color,....more like a cherry wood color.

Thanks for the follow up and the picture.

Brian in San Antonio

Mikolia69

Im going to get started on my floor today. Ill take before, after and during pictures.

Im concerned about the venal flooring wearing good. i took a sample and scratched it with a screwdriver and it left a pretty deep, unfixable scratch in it. Im wondering if there is something more durable to use instead?

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
Im going to get started on my floor today. Ill take before, after and during pictures.

Im concerned about the venal flooring wearing good. i took a sample and scratched it with a screwdriver and it left a pretty deep, unfixable scratch in it. Im wondering if there is something more durable to use instead?
Oh, Cool,
I'm ready to do mine as well and I'm anxious to see how it goes for you.
Brian

Mikolia69

I finally did it. It took 5-7 hours to take out the carpet and prep the floor/edges and about 4-5 hours to do cutting and laying of the floor. I absolutely love it and it feels like a major upgrade.

I spent about $90 on resilient "Java Hickory" snap-lock strips (2 cartons covers up to 40sq ft.), a carpet knife and extra blades. I would up using a straight pick to get more carpet fibers out from under the cabinets to give a bit more room for the cabinets to overlay the floor.

I measured about 37 square feet in my sprinter and I used every last plank, as you need to cut the planks to length to fit as you go through the rows.

I don't like the rubber edging between the hull and the cockpit on the floor. it worked ok with carpet, but is sticking up making a raised lip overtop of the planks.

Anyway, it was hard but satisfying to get it down in two days. A great weekend project. I would recommend spending the necessary time to get as many fibers out of underneath the cabinets as you can.

Here are some pics of the carpet being cut out, picking the planks and the finished work.

Attachments

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
I finally did it. It took 5-7 hours to take out the carpet and prep the floor/edges and about 4-5 hours to do cutting and laying of the floor. I absolutely love it and it feels like a major upgrade.

I spent about $90 on resilient "Java Hickory" snap-lock strips (2 cartons covers up to 40sq ft.), a carpet knife and extra blades. I would up using a straight pick to get more carpet fibers out from under the cabinets to give a bit more room for the cabinets to overlay the floor.

I measured about 37 square feet in my sprinter and I used every last plank, as you need to cut the planks to length to fit as you go through the rows.

I don't like the rubber edging between the hull and the cockpit on the floor. it worked ok with carpet, but is sticking up making a raised lip overtop of the planks.

Anyway, it was hard but satisfying to get it down in two days. A great weekend project. I would recommend spending the necessary time to get as many fibers out of underneath the cabinets as you can.

Here are some pics of the carpet being cut out, picking the planks and the finished work.
Hey Mikolia69, where did you get your flooring? Also, you mention using a straight pick to remove carpet fibers,....could you explain what you mean by that. How did you handle the transition to the front rubber mat?

Brian

Top Bottom