Espar Installation

Dave D

Hi Tim,

Your picture is showing that you already have an Espar D5 hydronic heater mounted under your van. Attached is Espars manual on how it is plumbed into Sprinters along with a picture that matches what you have.

Attachments

Hi Tim,

Your picture is showing that you already have an Espar D5 hydronic heater mounted under your van. Attached is Espars manual on how it is plumbed into Sprinters along with a picture that matches what you have.
Well that information certainly surprised me this morning!! Many thanks for that, and the manual too. So I did some research this morning and I guess that's a coolant heater for the engine when it's cold? Looking at the manual, I also found the switch for it mounted on the dash to the left of the steering wheel, I turned the van on and tried clicking it but nothing seemed to happen... maybe it works automatically, or only works in the cold, or maybe doesn't work at all?

Either way I guess that answers my question about whether I have an auxiliary tap... but since it is being used, I wonder if I can tap into that Espar line somewhere, or do I have to find another way to access the fuel tank for the D2?

Any advice would be most welcome!

Tim

(And thanks too, to Too much hair, I had that manual, but couldn't tell because of the line coming off to the mystery Espar)

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Well that information certainly surprised me this morning!! Many thanks for that, and the manual too. So I did some research this morning and I guess that's a coolant heater for the engine when it's cold? Looking at the manual, I also found the switch for it mounted on the dash to the left of the steering wheel, I turned the van on and tried clicking it but nothing seemed to happen... maybe it works automatically, or only works in the cold, or maybe doesn't work at all?

Either way I guess that answers my question about whether I have an auxiliary tap... but since it is being used, I wonder if I can tap into that Espar line somewhere, or do I have to find another way to access the fuel tank for the D2?

Any advice would be most welcome!

Tim

(And thanks too, to Too much hair, I had that manual, but couldn't tell because of the line coming off to the mystery Espar)
You can use the same tap just use a t fitting. Search for this info in this forum.

George.

BBQ Ribs

Thinking about an Espar D2 installed in my 2016 sprinter. I did have a few questions though.

1. I read that 2008+ Sprinters come standard with a extra fuel tap, is this correct?
2. Where are people placing the controller?
3. Does anyone have feedback on the Espar Remote start?
4. Out of the different controllers (Turn Knob, Optional EasyStart, EasyStart Timer, any thoughts on these?

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Thinking about an Espar D2 installed in my 2016 sprinter. I did have a few questions though.

1. I read that 2008+ Sprinters come standard with a extra fuel tap, is this correct?
2. Where are people placing the controller?
3. Does anyone have feedback on the Espar Remote start?
4. Out of the different controllers (Turn Knob, Optional EasyStart, EasyStart Timer, any thoughts on these?
re1. My 2013 has one
re 2. See pictures
re 3. Don't know
re 4. I have the old one but just used EasyStartTimer on my D5 and I like it, once you cross the language barrier it seems simple. I will install the EasyStartTimer in the same place to control D5 for hot water and D2.

Attachments

Top Bottom