Espar Installation

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Do you have thermostats for these things? IN other words, can you set it to be 70 degrees in the "cabin"?

Also, have any of you used remote starters or timer set-ups? How did they works?

The Airtronic is in competition with upgrading my OEM D5 Hydronic to modify it to preheat the cabin.

I keep getting the "cold shoulder" from my wife about the heat in this thing!:smirk:
Thermostats with degree setting are OPTIONAL. There is a CONTROL in the kits and is precise. It works the same if you know which 'bar' to set it at.
One major advantage of the Airtronic is that it give instant and responsive heat. A hydronic can't. So quick warmups and rewarming after the door is opened is not possible.
Hydronic system uses more battery, as there is an addition water recirculator in the mix. Could be 25% more current.

Last edited:

Diamondsea

The Espar Air heaters have a thermostat with an on/off switch and a non/calibrated dial to set temperature. As per the instructions there is one wire (out of about 5) that can be connected or not connected at the thermostat. When connected the thermostat reacts to the temperature it feels. When the wire is left not connected the thermostat dial becomes a rheostat to control a thermostat built into the heater's cold air return inlet. Unless temperature swings are extreme the heater maintains desired temperature by changing the fan speed and fuel flow in lieu of completely stopping and re-starting. Timers are available for unattended start-up if you dig into the web site or contact the company.

Farm Bus

Thanks, guys. I was wondering about the electric draw of the hydronic - lots more going on. And I don't really care if the engine is warm - it's the wife!

It sounds like the Airtronic is the best bet then. And I think once I get it and it's installed the temp control is pretty straightforward from what you tell me.

The d5 upgrade is $715 to convert it to a engine/cabin heater with timer. The d2 is $1,075. It is tempting to save the $350, and get both a warm cabin and a warm engine. But, as you point out, the warm-up time is going to be MUCH longer, as I have to get all the coolant up to temp first. Then, the engine block itself is going to suck heat before the engine starts. The installation instructions for the upgrade looks to be exhaustive (meaning "thorough" and "makes me tired"). The Airtronic may be actually easier to install. I am going to post all the info on that unit in a new post.

So, $350 more gets me probably an easier installation, quicker response time, and less of a drain on the battery. Given that this beast is parked outside in Michigan all winter, I think I will need all the battery I can get to fire it up. Last winter had it's moments . . .

Did you put the switch up in the dash console, or is it at the unit?

Thanks for the help.

Brian

Hikinginpdx

Sprinter is for sale
I'm finishing the wiring for my D2 this week. Putting the controls up in the dash. With the wire channels under the floor, getting there is pretty easy.

The remote control feature is very, very expensive from Espar. However, I am trying a DIY solution with a generic transmitter / receiver. It seems very straight forward and the cost will be around $50 instead of < $300.

When I get it going I post the info on the cheap remoter solution.

Keith

deirdradoan

Espar Loud to run at night?

Are they noisy?????:idunno:Propane furnance's are loud at night when you are trying to sleep and they go off and on.

What is the cheapest way to buy one?

Neil2

Neil2
I installed a D5 Hydronic in my 170" and am happy with it. I would have to agree that the Airtronic is faster to heat with but I opted for the Hydronic because having a mega roof, I plan to install a shower next year. I already use the hot water for my kitchen sink and think it was a good investment for me.

I can't say how to get an Espar the cheapest but I can tell you where to get the best service and support. Jim Rixen in Sandy, OR. I've never, ever had the customer satisfaction with any vendor as with him. He also does a lot of prototype work with Espar and has been installing the systems and similar for longer than he probably cares to recall. Great guy, give him a call.:thumbup:

Diamondsea

My Espar D2 is noisy when the fan is in the high speed mode during initial heating. Once the set point temperature is reached the fan automatically dials down to lower/quieter speeds. This usually only takes a little while; it all depends on outside temperature. The clicking of the fuel metering pump is somewhat bothersome even though it is mounted under the floor. Overall I love the Espar having used them for many years (30+) on boats.

rchopper11

I installed a D5 Hydronic in my 170" and am happy with it. I would have to agree that the Airtronic is faster to heat with but I opted for the Hydronic because having a mega roof, I plan to install a shower next year. I already use the hot water for my kitchen sink and think it was a good investment for me.

I can't say how to get an Espar the cheapest but I can tell you where to get the best service and support. Jim Rixen in Sandy, OR. I've never, ever had the customer satisfaction with any vendor as with him. He also does a lot of prototype work with Espar and has been installing the systems and similar for longer than he probably cares to recall. Great guy, give him a call.:thumbup:
How do you use your d5 to heat hot water for showers?I thought coolant from engine ran thru that? Thanks

Neil2

Neil2
How do you use your d5 to heat hot water for showers?I thought coolant from engine ran thru that? Thanks
My Espar is a Hydronic. It provides hot water, and hot air. The Airtronic only provides hot air.

My engine coolant loop (Espar extension) configuration is only used to provide rear cabin heat when I want to do so without running my Espar.

tommyt

Being new to all this, not knowing how the Espar units work and just trying to learn as much as I can. Can't the Espar Hydronic unit be made to heat either the coolant or the air? Also how efficient are they as far as electrical power and fuel.

mackconsult

Espar under the hood is only coolant. There is a right up on how to wire it so it would run while engine is off, purpose of being to created some heated air for the cabin.

My webasto (which heats air in my cabin) says that it uses 2 amps and about 0.1 gallons diesel/hr ..... I would imagine that the espar is similar .....

Being new to all this, not knowing how the Espar units work and just trying to learn as much as I can. Can't the Espar Hydronic unit be made to heat either the coolant or the air? Also how efficient are they as far as electrical power and fuel.

d_bertko

I'm finishing the wiring for my D2 this week. Putting the controls up in the dash. With the wire channels under the floor, getting there is pretty easy.

The remote control feature is very, very expensive from Espar. However, I am trying a DIY solution with a generic transmitter / receiver. It seems very straight forward and the cost will be around $50 instead of < $300.

When I get it going I post the info on the cheap remoter solution.

Keith
Keith, a good 12v remote generic solution would be valuable to many of us. I realized after spending many nights camping that controlling all the individual interior lights from bed as well as the furnace would be useful. My research some years back showed several 12v remote mfrs out there. The best ones had tiny keychain fobs that would control half a dozen separate devices. IIRC, even Home Depot had some kind of 12v remote multi-controller.

I'm sorry to have gotten lazy at the time since my wall wiring was already closed-in. Looking forward to an updated solution.

Dan

Neil2

Neil2
Yes, but to heat the cabin air it heats the antifreeze in the hose loop, through the fans. I believe the Airtronic is likely much more efficient for air only apps.

My D5 Hydronic uses about .1gph of diesel and very little DC. The biggest expense is the purchase price. I'm not sure if I had to do it all again I'd use an Espar. If I didn't plan to have solar I might get a propane tank/appliances (fridge, Propex heater (much less expensive) and cooktop).

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Where did you place your thermostat and are you happy with the placement?
George.

GeorgeRa

I mounted my d2 near the driver side wall just behind the fuel tank. That put it just about midship on my 02 long tall Sprinter. That location works great for a rear bed layout like mine. No problem with the d2 capacity for New England winter but I am well insulated.
Where did you place your thermostat and are you happy with the placement?
George.

canoe4me

@Neil,
Did you install the Rixen hydronic setup yourself or did you have it done by Jim?

I know you said you had great customer service and were happy with the product. If you did a self install did you have good instructions supplied with the kit?
Thanks for any input.

Neil2

Neil2
Canoe,

I did most of the install but Jim guided me and advised on options/variances. I had virtually no written instructions, just a few items from Espar itself.:thumbup: Hope that helps you!

Korch

could not get that black end cap to fit over the heater end..any thing that i can do to make those parts click in properly.?

GeorgeRa

The front and rear cover should snap on with some force. There are small “latches” – protrusions in the plastic molds which you need to overcome with force. I am sure the unit came assembled, so covers should snap back.

George.

Hi all, hoping someone can help me about an auxiliary fuel tap question for my new D2...

Yes, I too am trying my hand at a D2 install, it just arrived last weekend. I'm going to put it under the passenger seat of my 2007 144 hi-roof. I've been reading lots of good posts here on how to go about it, and am getting close, but haven't quite got my head around all the details yet.

After looking at some pics (and MB guides) others have posted - I still can't seem to find a definitive resource on whether or not my '07 has an auxiliary fuel tap (seems the TINs don't and 08s and new do). When I got underneath I saw a hose and cap coming out from where the aux tap might be in the middle right of the pic just below and to the right of the white elbow thing. You can see it in the pic below i took looking up from the ground under the drivers door... any thoughts on where the fuel in that hose is going to? And then any advice on how to get fuel to my Espar would be greatly appreciated!

Also, just out of curiosity, can someone tell me what that silver muffler-looking thing pointing towards the front of the van is?

Thanks in advance to anyone who offers advice... I promise to pay it forward once I know enough to help others!

Tim

Attachments

Top Bottom