Remote genset switch not working

RPinsono

I have a 2008 Roadtrek Agile SS we purchased new. Up until recently the Onan 2.5 KVFA propane generator always started with the remote switch. The start function of the remote switch does not work. The generator starts utilizing the start button on the generator itself, runs great and will produce power to the rv. I can shut the generator down but using the stop function on the remote switch.
I have looked for a wiring diagram with voltage and ground indications but so far have not located one. If anyone has one please add it to the comments.
The remote switch is also connected to a time meter. When the generator is started from the switch on the generator it records the run time. The time meter and the LED on the remote switch function while the genset is operating.
Using a volt/ohm meter and the generator not running, I have a ground on the black wire at the switch. A ground on the red wire at the switch. 12volts DC on the brown wire and a ground on the yellow wire when the stop function on the switch is depressed.
With the generator running the same conditions apply except the red wire is energized with 12 volts DC to run the time meter.
I would appreciate any additional troubleshooting hints before I head to a dealer.

Thanks
Dick

BobLLL

Here is a wiring diagram for the MicroLite 2800 series that I found somewhere. Sorry for the poor quality. It is probably a poor scan of a poor photocopy. It suggests that the remote start/stop switch S3 is just wired in parallel with the switch on the genset (S1). So you may have a loose connection or break in the wire, perhaps at connector P2, wherever that is.

View attachment onan generator service manual 981-0506_p0049.pdf

ShelleyWeals

I got the same problem. the Onan 7 generator (gas), behaved the same way - whether I was using the remote switch or the switch on the generator. If I took my finger off the switch before the generator was completely stopped, it would fire back up again and keep running.

Knit

Do a google search on “onan generator remote start stop switch wiring diagram”. There are many images. So it would seem most likely it is something about the starter wire or maybe the switch itself since you have other remote functions working. Does your switch have a light normally?

Last edited:

RPinsono

The switch has an LED that lights when the generator is running. It does light up. I suspect it is a wiring issue but I would like to know what the wires at the switch should show on a volt/ohm meter before I start chasing a wiring issue.

Thanks
Dick

RT.SS

It's probably just a loose remote switch connector by the generator, loose wiring connector by the switch itself, or failing switch. The switch is just a SPDT momentary on-center off-momentary on, easy to check with a continuity tester.

In refference to above picture, the brown wire is the ground (switch center off connection) and the red and green wires are the Start and Stop signal wires (switch mom-on connections). Grounding the green wire starts the gen and grounding the red wire stops it...or it could be vice versa.

In accordance with Knit's post and with RT.SS's post, I should be able to connect the brown wire to the red or the green and if the gen set turns over, the problem is probably the switch?
Thank you

My start/stop switch on the gen set works fine. My remote switch inside the motor home will only stop the gen set after you turn it on at the gen set and the gen set on indicator light works fine. So.....in addition to my question above, in reply #8, does anyone know if there is a fuse or breaker which protects the remote gen set start/stop switch to the generator? And if so, where it is located?
Thanks again

Top Bottom