07 Sprinter V8 LS 6.2 Conversion Engine Swap

Bob Laps

Great project. Have always thought a LS swap would be the way to go when the diesel gives up. Hope you make it into a plug and play retail kit.
This dude doing the conversion is extremely talented and knowledgable but I gotta laugh at the phrase "plug and play"...lol

Bob

Rpmextreme

This dude doing the conversion is extremely talented and knowledgable but I gotta laugh at the phrase "plug and play"...lol

Bob
You may be surprised with how “plug and play” it will be.

If I did my homework correctly it will basically plug into the factory connector and require only a few wires to solder in.

The harness shown has a few extra wires just in case I missed something in the homework phase and need to add it.

OffroadHamster

How long until the conversion kit is available??

Not that I could get anyone to smog a V8 sprinter in California, but V8 power and no diesel headaches is exactly what the sprinter needs.

Cool project, I love franken-vehicles. I had a subaru powered 914 for a while that was just this side of suicidal.

Bob Laps

You may be surprised with how “plug and play” it will be.

If I did my homework correctly it will basically plug into the factory connector and require only a few wires to solder in.

The harness shown has a few extra wires just in case I missed something in the homework phase and need to add it.
I was just joking because the whole project is way out of my reach. Equipment wise and knowledge wise...super badass nonetheless

Bob

Emgo

Rpmextreme since you have a lot of experience with the LS engines what's your best guess on fuel mileage after the swap? And why the LS engine over the pre "cylinder cutout" 5.3 they're great engines and get decent fuel mileage.
Thanks,
ken

Rpmextreme

Any progress? Been quite for about a month.

Ken
Harness is on it but I have been busy with other projects. I have to make the bolt in motor mounts and then it will be all downhill from there. There is just not enough time in the day :bash:

Dzuber

This thread makes me so happy!!! I have an 08 sprinter with 400k miles and love my van but always dreamed of more power!!! I have developed blow by over the years and am to the point of needing to replace my engine or rebuild. With the cost of a replacement engine and the cost of rebuild parts being so ridiculously over priced i thought i was going to have to retire the old girl to the back forty..... You have given me new hope for my old van. Id pay 15k to have an ls swap done in my van before i payed 10k for a new 3.0. IF YOU EVER DECIDE TO TAKE ON ANOTHER SWAP OF THIS NATURE, Id love to be in line. I have a few LQ9, LQ4 engines in my possession with various performance parts.

Rpmextreme

Working on the bolt in engine mounts. This is the first test set cut on the plasma table. Once we dial it in they will be laser cut and powder coated.

WWSprinter

Any updates please? I am extremely interested in the final outcome as I also have a Sprinter with a blown engine, for which I need to find a permanent fix. This seems like a potentially ideal option!

showkey

This GM engine is also a common swap with Jaguar V12 owners as they go to lunch often. They ( JAGS) are under powered, overly complex and crazy stupid expensive. They get around the European wiring and CANBUS by using a PAINLESS wire harness very common in the hot rod industry.

There actually a aJAG kit for motor mounts etc.......

lindenengineering

Sorry but what are YOU talking about?????
The V12 Jaguar 5,3 was phased out in 1996.
Yes there were after market conversion kits for several Jaguar platforms using various Chevrolet engines; since both Chevrolet and Jaguar shared the same transmission, notably the Turbo 400.
All this is now destined for history & motoring nostalgia books.
Jaguar is owned by Tata and for many years previously it was owned by Ford .
Until recently Tata Jaguars AND Land Rovers exclusively used the 5 litre bases Ford AJ series GDi engines, unless diesel which is the Peugeot/Citroen based Lion engine.
Curious references:thinking:!!
Dennis

Rpmextreme

I have been busy with other conversions. I have it pretty much ready to fire up.
Hopefully after the first of the year I will have some time.

N Z Motorsport

Hi , I'm new to this forum , but like other people , I'm wondering if you have any updates thanks Rpmextreme .

The other thing I would be interested in is Rpmextreme , and other peoples , thoughts on using a Mercedes V8 instead of the injected Chev ? I have a 2007 Viano ( V350 petrol v6 ) which I purchased with 320,000kms ( 210,000 miles ) and had been overheated . It is currently sitting here , and I was considering buying an early 2000's E500 or E55 complete car ( ones with rough bodies can be bought for around $2000 here ) -- the advantage may be easier computer programming ? Plus while I love the LS series V8's , I have a couple of Merc V8's as my own vehicles , and they seem more economical than the Chev too .

Brabus seem to do this Mercedes conversion , and a crowd in Britain look to have done at least 2 ( again , with Mercedes V8's ) , just wondering . I see there are a couple of others on-line with Toyota 4 litre V8's , but the quad-cam Toyota motor isn't a favourite of mine -- they are wide , rev well , but don't seem as torquey as the Chev and Merc motors -- I am looking at this conversion to use as a promo vehicle and also race car trailer hauler for our business .

Thanks guys and girls .

Rpmextreme

Hi , I'm new to this forum , but like other people , I'm wondering if you have any updates thanks Rpmextreme .

The other thing I would be interested in is Rpmextreme , and other peoples , thoughts on using a Mercedes V8 instead of the injected Chev ? I have a 2007 Viano ( V350 petrol v6 ) which I purchased with 320,000kms ( 210,000 miles ) and had been overheated . It is currently sitting here , and I was considering buying an early 2000's E500 or E55 complete car ( ones with rough bodies can be bought for around $2000 here ) -- the advantage may be easier computer programming ? Plus while I love the LS series V8's , I have a couple of Merc V8's as my own vehicles , and they seem more economical than the Chev too .

Brabus seem to do this Mercedes conversion , and a crowd in Britain look to have done at least 2 ( again , with Mercedes V8's ) , just wondering . I see there are a couple of others on-line with Toyota 4 litre V8's , but the quad-cam Toyota motor isn't a favourite of mine -- they are wide , rev well , but don't seem as torquey as the Chev and Merc motors -- I am looking at this conversion to use as a promo vehicle and also race car trailer hauler for our business .

Thanks guys and girls .
Now that the weather is getting better I plan on finishing it up.

Im not sure on a merc engine. it would have to be close to the same year so the electronics and can bus would be the same and you would also have too be able to custom tune it. In the states its hard to tune Mercedes.

With our GM setup the sprinter still has the stock ECU in place and the rest of the vehicle is happy. our can bus module sends the GM signals like the Merc ecu and it never knows the difference. And a bonus is anyone can get the software to tune GM computers.

SvenOz

hey there

Great job!!

I’m very interested in this. How’s it going? Wanted to do this myself but the electronics looked pretty complex. Seems like your Jeep conversions means you are already more than half way there.

I’m in Australia (obviously) so most interested if the least is shipped in a potential kit, ie, no engine, trans, etc, just the electronics and engine mounts, as shipping the rest will be cost prohibitive. Currently looking seriously at a local kit for the older ones which is now available in Australia for the T1Ns, but MUCH prefer an early NCV3.

Over here we have to retain all of the pollution gear from the engine, which must be newer than the vehicle. Will this all be retained? Will be using Holden Commodore as donor car for the parts. It’s sold in the US I think rebadged as Chevy SS.

My plan is a SWB (which you don’t get), auto, and do a 4x4 conversion (full time and part time 4x4), rear locker (working out now), Dana 35/with ATB LSD. Then fit out as campe to replace my current AWD Vw camper.

Would love to be kept posted of updates and ETA. Any chance you could keep me posted by PM?

Cheers

Sven

Ps

Here’s a self done video of a T1N done in Australia. They used the Mercedes tank and hybrid pump Frankenstein of commodore and sprinter pump.

Ps

Here’s a self done video of a T1N done in Australia. They used the Mercedes tank and hybrid pump Frankenstein of commodore and sprinter pump.

Here’s the link

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BSZ8-BD6Zl0

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom