07 Sprinter V8 LS 6.2 Conversion Engine Swap

Rpmextreme

Ok guys I'm new to the sprinter forum but have had my 07 3500 170 for a few years now. I have been thru a lot of repairs and upgrades and at 151k miles it **** the bed. The engine gave a shudder and oil was blowing out everywhere. It appears that one of the pistons either broke or the ring broke and is pumping compression into the crank case.

So instead of beating a dead horse I have decided to do a LS Swap on it. I need reliability and the cost of a new 3.0 is crazy.

Im using a 2013 GM L9H 6.2 and a 6L80E 6 speed automatic.

A little background on myself.
I have a company that specializes in installing LS engines into newer Jeep wranglers. We have a complete system that incorporates the Jeep CANBUS with the GM CANBUS system and makes everything work as designed.

I spent a little time decoding the Sprinter CANBUS system before I pulled the 3.0 out and the messages are very similar to the Jeep stuff I have been using. So I'm pretty confident that I can make everything work as factory.

I have the GM powertrain in the sprinter and am working on some bolt in motor mounts. It fits great and looks right at home under the hood.

I had to use a front sump oil pan because of the design of the crossmember but it fits great and looks like it was made for it.

The trans almost sits in the same spot and will require a bracket to attach to the crossmember and the drive shaft will need a slight modification to work with the GM output.

I will get some pictures loaded up and some details of my progress as this project progresses.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
Re: 07 Sprinter V8 LS 6.2 Conversion

That is one helluva swap. Will you have any issues with gas in the diesel tank? Evaporative emissions?
Do you live in an area where you will not have to find a way through emissions testing?
That thing ought to haul the mail......Twice the horsepower and another gear to boot!

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport

Looks like you're almost done! What ECU does the LS use is it a Bosch? Is your CAN interface bridge device available off the shelf (and/or without software)? And what happens with ESP and ASR, does the engine cut power like the ABS controller will be asking it to?

Last edited:

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)

Helluva project!! MB ought to take notice... sure mpg might not be as good, but I bet there'd be one huge demand for a gas-engined Sprinter! (Wow, just to think... no more DEF, DPF....)

eralimited57

2008 Sprinter 2500 170 Extended High Top 3.0L CRD

Talk about a "delete" wow!

Your right Bob Laps, this guy ain't scared.

But I do wonder as 4wheeldog does about passing emissions testing?

Rpmextreme

That is one helluva swap. Will you have any issues with gas in the diesel tank? Evaporative emissions?
Do you live in an area where you will not have to find a way through emissions testing?
That thing ought to haul the mail......Twice the horsepower and another gear to boot!
Im looking into the fuel tank. I would assume it would be compatible with gasoline but I will find out.
I will have to figure out a way to get a electric fuel pump in the tank and rework a few lines.
They did make a gas powered sprinter, I may look into some of those parts for the fuel tank conversion.

As far as emissions my state does not require it but I plan on running all the factory emissions that came on the 2013 6.2 truck. EVAP, VENT, PURGE, FTP, CATS, O2s etc... I doubt it will ever truly be "legal" in all 50 states mainly because its going from diesel to gas. But I'm doing my best to keep it clean.

like you're almost done! What ECU does the LS use is it a Bosch? Is your CAN interface bridge device available off the shelf (and/or without software)? And what happens with ESP and ASR, does the engine cut power like the ABS controller will be asking it to?
The LS uses a GM E38 ECU, I'm not sure who makes it for them. I will leave the sprinter ECU in place for now and it will run into our CAN Module. The sprinter side will still control the security, Starting, AC and maybe a few other things. The CAN module will also attach to the GM side and we can program it to convert messages and turn things on and off.

The ABS controller will stay in place and will still function. At first the ASR-ESP won't function until I can figure out what messages the ABS unit sends the ECU to request reduced throttle and vise versa. Im sure the ABS module is expecting a message in return from the ECU showing the throttle request...... this may take some time but won't stop it from driving. The ABS braking will still operate as designed.

Our CAN interface is something we use here for our Jeep conversions. We write the software code to make everything function the way we want it to.

Helluva project!! MB ought to take notice... sure mpg might not be as good, but I bet there'd be one huge demand for a gas-engined Sprinter! (Wow, just to think... no more DEF, DPF....)
Thats what I was thinking. Mine never had DEF but will all the issues the 3.0 had and all the sprinters with blown engines I figured a LS V8 conversion was long over due. Way less maintenance, Cheap engines, Cheap parts and every parts store in America has them in stock, tons of performance options and fuel mileage shouldn't be too far off.

Another thing. The 6L80E transmission is a 6 speed automatic with a very low 1st gear and 2 overdrives. Its a huge step up from the factory NAG1 Mercedes 5 speed. And I will have TAP shift mode and Tow Haul.

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport

I will leave the sprinter ECU in place for now and it will run into our CAN Module.
Thats a great idea I hadn't thought of that. Then you can just pass through all the frames from the car, and ignore all but the security messages coming back out from the ECU. And presumably you can convert the GM frames from the LS ECU and feed them into the car as required.

So the hardware you use for this would need at least 3 CAN ports, do you buy an off the shelf board or make your own? I'm asking becasue its hard to find a hobby type board with 2 or more CAN ports. Best I've used before is an Olimexino https://www.olimex.com/Products/Duino/STM32/OLIMEXINO-STM32/open-source-hardware but its only got 1 CAN.

Last edited:

Rpmextreme

So I'm looking for a 2007 and newer gauge cluster from a GAS powered sprinter. Let me know if you know if any.

This way my Tach will read to 7k RPMs

Rpmextreme

Thats a great idea I hadn't thought of that. Then you can just pass through all the frames from the car, and ignore all but the security messages coming back out from the ECU. And presumably you can convert the GM frames from the LS ECU and feed them into the car as required.

So the hardware you use for this would need at least 3 CAN ports, do you buy an off the shelf board or make your own? I'm asking becasue its hard to find a hobby type board with 2 or more CAN ports. Best I've used before is an Olimexino https://www.olimex.com/Products/Duino/STM32/OLIMEXINO-STM32/open-source-hardware but its only got 1 CAN.
The module I use has 3 can ports. It also has 18 analog inputs, 6 relay outputs and 4 high side drivers. So I can pretty much do anything I want with it.

Last edited:

What a project!!! :thumbup:

Just curious.

Why a V8 vs a V6 gas engine?

On hand? Familiar engine/electronics swap?

More power???

MorePower.jpg

In anticipation of continued information this thread is being moved to Write-ups.

vic

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton

Should be a great conversion. Will you market a kit? As long as the kit cost is less than the replacement cost for a Mercedes V6 there should be demand. Kit would be everything you need except the engine and transmission which a person could buy locally.

Performance should be similar to the Transit Ecoboost.

Emgo

Thanks RPMexteme you have inspired me. I been wanting to do the same except with a pre 07 5.3 Vortec. I was concerned about the CAN bus but looks like there is a work around for that. If you have about 9 minutes to kill take a look at my engine swap I did about 6 years ago. Leaving in it tomorrow for Florida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAFFBcoTQI&t=5s

Removed the 8V92 Detroit and Allison 5 speed from my 1988 motor home and replaced it with a 2007 14 liter Series 60 coupled to an Eaton 10 speed Ultrashift transmission. I did the all the metal fab, machine work, rewire, EGR delete, remapped the VNT, injection timing map and fuel map myself. When from about 5.5 MPG with the 8V92 to about 9.5 MPG at 65 MPH with a much more reliable engine. Not bad fuel mileage from a vehicle that weights 40,000 lbs with a flat front end.

I ain't afraid no engine swap, especially a little one.

Ken

Attachments

Last edited:

Rpmextreme

What a project!!! :thumbup:

Just curious.

Why a V8 vs a V6 gas engine?

On hand? Familiar engine/electronics swap?

More power???

vic
I doubt a V6 would give me the pulling power I need and if your going to spend the time and money why not go big.

And yes I had this LS 6.2 on hand and am very familiar with the electronics and swap in general.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT

I doubt a V6 would give me the pulling power I need and if your going to spend the time and money why not go big.

And yes I had this LS 6.2 on hand and am very familiar with the electronics and swap in general.
Pulling power? What are you planning on pulling? Weight?

danski0224

So I'm looking for a 2007 and newer gauge cluster from a GAS powered sprinter. Let me know if you know if any.

This way my Tach will read to 7k RPMs

Good luck with that one... the actual part, before making it work.

It'll be from a Dodge, so no newer than 2009. Production was 2008 and 09 only, if I'm not mistaken.

The gasoline engine versions in the USA are pretty rare, with gas engine/body specific parts likely obsolete at this point. The subject of gasoline fuel tanks came up in another thread, and the number that is available is pretty small.

Interesting swap otherwise.

Bob Laps

I gotta say I'm blown away....gonna be nuts seeing a DRW sprinter lightin em up pulling away from traffic lights!

lindenengineering

Good luck with that one... the actual part, before making it work.

It'll be from a Dodge, so no newer than 2009. Production was 2008 and 09 only, if I'm not mistaken.

The gasoline engine versions in the USA are pretty rare, with gas engine/body specific parts likely obsolete at this point. The subject of gasoline fuel tanks came up in another thread, and the number that is available is pretty small.

Interesting swap otherwise.
The fuel tank is obsolete in Germany and the last time I looked there were three in Milwaukee with Mopar.
Dennis

Top Bottom