07 Sprinter V8 LS 6.2 Conversion Engine Swap

GregJo

Gday from Australia. I have just found this thread as I am looking for a solution on the instrument cluster. The power steering on mine works perfect. I used a Holden commodore 6.0 litre L98 (and it has a rack and pinion in it) and put it in a Vito. So I just cut the lines and tigged them together and the merc rack works fine off the Holden pump.
I did some cool stuff like 3D printed the mount for the Holden DBW accelerator pedal to bolt onto the Merc firewall etc. and I have done 20,000 Klms in it without any issues.

I am really interested in buying an electronic unit to adapt my instrument cluster and would like to hear your thoughts on it. My van is an 07 as well.

Oh the vito doesnt have duallies but she does spin the wheels! More than a little bit....

Look forward to your thoughts.
Interested in what you may have to share or sell
Working on an L98 into 906 sprinter

I am also working on CAN interface, although in very early days

motorsport[at]johanson.com.au

Cheers Greg

SvenOz

And, with the harness and mounts …….? Does that include details on the instal?
I assume the GM ECU is free to be tuned in this arrangement (needing a second shift table)

Rpmextreme

And, with the harness and mounts …….? Does that include details on the instal?
I assume the GM ECU is free to be tuned in this arrangement (needing a second shift table)
When we do release the harness kit, it will have instructions. The GM ECU is not locked and can be tuned just like any other GM ECU. There is nothing proprietary on the GM side.

melkon84

Hi Rpmextreme, I'm very interested in this kit you're building. Do you know when you will have harness ready with CAN BUS and ECU as a kit? My engine locked up yesterday and I'm like you tired of spending money on this engine. It only had 90k miles.

rogerwms

Ok guys I'm new to the sprinter forum but have had my 07 3500 170 for a few years now. I have been thru a lot of repairs and upgrades and at 151k miles it **** the bed. The engine gave a shudder and oil was blowing out everywhere. It appears that one of the pistons either broke or the ring broke and is pumping compression into the crank case.

So instead of beating a dead horse I have decided to do a LS Swap on it. I need reliability and the cost of a new 3.0 is crazy.

Im using a 2013 GM L9H 6.2 and a 6L80E 6 speed automatic.

A little background on myself.
I have a company that specializes in installing LS engines into newer Jeep wranglers. We have a complete system that incorporates the Jeep CANBUS with the GM CANBUS system and makes everything work as designed.

I spent a little time decoding the Sprinter CANBUS system before I pulled the 3.0 out and the messages are very similar to the Jeep stuff I have been using. So I'm pretty confident that I can make everything work as factory.

I have the GM powertrain in the sprinter and am working on some bolt in motor mounts. It fits great and looks right at home under the hood.

I had to use a front sump oil pan because of the design of the crossmember but it fits great and looks like it was made for it.

The trans almost sits in the same spot and will require a bracket to attach to the crossmember and the drive shaft will need a slight modification to work with the GM output.

I will get some pictures loaded up and some details of my progress as this project progresses.

Hello...I have a 2011 Sprinter 3500 170 wb and I am searching for someone that does LS conversions in place of the MB diesel. Do you do the LS swaps or know of some reputable shop that is capable of performing the swap???

melkon84

Hello all, i just started on my swap, I'm using Gen4 5.3l with 4l60E for now with torquey cam from summit racing, just finished deleting AFM from this engine, should be finished with the engine next few days. Sprinter engine transmission is out already. I don't have much time to mess with the CAN BUSS system for now so I'm gonna retrofit a GM cluster and use that for now until i have time to figure out how to make original cluster work with GM ECU. I'm located in Memphis TN. I'll post some pictures of the progress. I purchased the engine mount kit from RPM Extreme, i don't know if it suppose to have trans mount with it or not, it didn't come with one so i have to make a bracket for it. Ordered GTO front sump oil pan as well. As far as the engine swap, it's not hard at all, Electrical is what's gonna slow me down a little. I'll try to post updates and pictures as much as possible. If anyone has any inputs, please post so we can help each other do this swap. There is not much info yet.

melkon84

Hello all, little update on the swap, got the engine and transmission installed, still need to fabricate trans mount but it looks super simple, I've been dissecting the factory ECU harness eliminating all the unused plugs to make the harness shorter and slimmer. Almost complete, gotta run few wires inside. I could go with aftermarket gauges and make my life much simpler but simple is not my thing so I'm trying to incorporate 2014 silverado cluster with BCM so I can use the factory gauges minus the lcd display. The engine mounts fit perfect, only issue I had was the predrilled holes are one size smaller than what they should be so you guys have to enlarge the holes otherwise it's not gonna align properly. Looks like I might not be able to run factory gen4 5.3 A/C bracket cuz its covering the front sump oil dipstick hole, ill update that when I ge to that point. I got a avalanche drive by wire pedal but it's too big, I might have to try a camaro ss pedal or corvette. I was able to dry crank the engine with sprinter key but sprinter spins the engine for about 10 sec until it registers RPM than cut the starter, I might have to connect that to chevy otherwise it's gonna keep the starter engaged even after engine start. I'll have to see. I travel to Phoenix every week to see my family cuz I work in memphis so I don't have too much time to spend on the swap but hopping to get it up and running in couple of months or less. The notch on the mount is to clear the knock sensor on the passenger side if you're gonna use the middle hole. This engine came with AFM system so I removed the heads and installed regular LS7 lifters and changed the cam to summit racing torque stage 1 cam that doesn't require tuning. I'm just gonna disable to AFM and the VATS system in the ECU and should be good. Also replaced the valley cover with LS2 one, ls3 will work as well as long as it's from a SS Camaro or Corvette.

Attachments

melkon84

TinManKC it actually looks really small in there compared to the original lol but i think this is by far way more reliable than the OM642. I LS3 swapped my 86 Jaguar XJS years ago, it's cammed, i drive the hell out of it and never gave me any issues, also a S2000 with a LS1 383 stroker so i think this is a far better engine choice for what I'm gonna use it for.

Goodspeed

When we do release the harness kit, it will have instructions. The GM ECU is not locked and can be tuned just like any other GM ECU. There is nothing proprietary on the GM side.
Just curious how the electronic side of this swap is coming along. Would be awesome to have a plug and play option for this swap. I definitely see the market growing for this swap. Ever since buying the supplies from the dealer to do my first service on my Sprinter I thought about this swap and how much it makes since. Also talk about the ultimate sleeper!
Currently I am exploring my options since I was just told by the shop that at 190k mile my 08 need either a timing chain ($6k+)or a new OEM motor ($15k+). Personal does not make since to put that kind of money into it to have the same old slow and boring ride. Figure might as well have something that is more reliable and fun to drive!

Goodspeed

Hello all, little update on the swap, got the engine and transmission installed, still need to fabricate trans mount but it looks super simple, I've been dissecting the factory ECU harness eliminating all the unused plugs to make the harness shorter and slimmer. Almost complete, gotta run few wires inside. I could go with aftermarket gauges and make my life much simpler but simple is not my thing so I'm trying to incorporate 2014 silverado cluster with BCM so I can use the factory gauges minus the lcd display. The engine mounts fit perfect, only issue I had was the predrilled holes are one size smaller than what they should be so you guys have to enlarge the holes otherwise it's not gonna align properly. Looks like I might not be able to run factory gen4 5.3 A/C bracket cuz its covering the front sump oil dipstick hole, ill update that when I ge to that point. I got a avalanche drive by wire pedal but it's too big, I might have to try a camaro ss pedal or corvette. I was able to dry crank the engine with sprinter key but sprinter spins the engine for about 10 sec until it registers RPM than cut the starter, I might have to connect that to chevy otherwise it's gonna keep the starter engaged even after engine start. I'll have to see. I travel to Phoenix every week to see my family cuz I work in memphis so I don't have too much time to spend on the swap but hopping to get it up and running in couple of months or less. The notch on the mount is to clear the knock sensor on the passenger side if you're gonna use the middle hole. This engine came with AFM system so I removed the heads and installed regular LS7 lifters and changed the cam to summit racing torque stage 1 cam that doesn't require tuning. I'm just gonna disable to AFM and the VATS system in the ECU and should be good. Also replaced the valley cover with LS2 one, ls3 will work as well as long as it's from a SS Camaro or Corvette.
Just curious how this swap is coming along? Also the mess of wiring looks intimidating to say the least! Hopefully someone comes up with a plug & play option. Would love to do this swap!

Rpmextreme

Just curious how this swap is coming along? Also the mess of wiring looks intimidating to say the least! Hopefully someone comes up with a plug & play option. Would love to do this swap!
Still on the back burner. A issue developed on the sprinter side that is a little weird. I think the BCM is taking a crap. The brake lights stay on when the key is on even though I have verified the switch is working and the correct signal is getting to the BCM, also it will intermittently not power up correctly and start. I am pretty sure the BCM is going out but I have never changed one on a sprinter and don't know if I can just slap a used on in or if there is programming that will be needed.

Goodspeed

Still on the back burner. A issue developed on the sprinter side that is a little weird. I think the BCM is taking a crap. The brake lights stay on when the key is on even though I have verified the switch is working and the correct signal is getting to the BCM, also it will intermittently not power up correctly and start. I am pretty sure the BCM is going out but I have never changed one on a sprinter and don't know if I can just slap a used on in or if there is programming that will be needed.
Thanks for the update. I am curious if you were ever able to get it on the road and put some miles on it before this BCM issue arose? If and when you get this figured out and offer a plug & play option like what you offer to the Jeep community is definitely something I would be interested in. Had two 6.0L Chevy Express 2500 prior to the sprinter and always thought the Sprinter was way down on power compared to the Expess, also with diesel prices and service being so high on the Sprinter it’s almost a no brainer to do the swap on a high mileage van that still has a good chassis. Hopefully yourself or someone like yourself figures it out and gets the bugs out sooner than later.

Top Bottom