07 Sprinter V8 LS 6.2 Conversion Engine Swap

Koss2j

OK so the first issue has been noticed. The power steering doesn't work very good at idle and slow speeds. We are using a GM truck PS pump and the stock sprinter steering rack.
Does anyone know what the stock sprinter power steering pump puts out for pressure?

We did find a restrictor in the return line, we removed it and it didn't really change much. Im guessing that this GM pump was made to work with a steering gear box which usually requires more volume and pressure than a rack style. I would have guessed it to have over sensitive steering but we have the opposite.
Gday from Australia. I have just found this thread as I am looking for a solution on the instrument cluster. The power steering on mine works perfect. I used a Holden commodore 6.0 litre L98 (and it has a rack and pinion in it) and put it in a Vito. So I just cut the lines and tigged them together and the merc rack works fine off the Holden pump.
I did some cool stuff like 3D printed the mount for the Holden DBW accelerator pedal to bolt onto the Merc firewall etc. and I have done 20,000 Klms in it without any issues.

I am really interested in buying an electronic unit to adapt my instrument cluster and would like to hear your thoughts on it. My van is an 07 as well.

Oh the vito doesnt have duallies but she does spin the wheels! More than a little bit....

Look forward to your thoughts.

Attachments

SvenOz

Gday from Australia. I have just found this thread as I am looking for a solution on the instrument cluster. The power steering on mine works perfect. I used a Holden commodore 6.0 litre L98 (and it has a rack and pinion in it) and put it in a Vito. So I just cut the lines and tigged them together and the merc rack works fine off the Holden pump.
I did some cool stuff like 3D printed the mount for the Holden DBW accelerator pedal to bolt onto the Merc firewall etc. and I have done 20,000 Klms in it without any issues.

I am really interested in buying an electronic unit to adapt my instrument cluster and would like to hear your thoughts on it. My van is an 07 as well.

Oh the vito doesnt have duallies but she does spin the wheels! More than a little bit....

Hey there. Nice job. Would love to drop by and have a look over. I’m in Bondi. You anywhere near me? Plates blacked out so can’t even see your state.
Cheers

VANDAM

STRAYA!

Rpmextreme

Gday from Australia. I have just found this thread as I am looking for a solution on the instrument cluster.

Im not sure that the module by itself will do everything that you need. We built our harness to incorporate all the circuits needed to make the whole system function together.

Rpmextreme

Anyone know how to change the cluster from German to English?

I found a gas cluster in the UK and had it shipped here. Its a 2011 model that has the larger display in the center and its flashing a lot of warnings that are all in German.

Other than that the TACH now reads all the way to 7,000rpms and I have a real fuel gauge instead of the digital crap.

Rpmextreme

So what is the current state of this project ?
It has been on the back burner for a while. We have been super busy at the shop doing the Jeep LS conversions and haven't had much time to mess with the sprinter. But the sprinter does run and drive and all the gauges operate. I still need to charge the Ac and verify its operation and make the cruise control work from the factory sprinter switch.

Mudguppy

When might this be offered as a kit? It’s probably safe to assume I’m not the only person waiting with baited breath for a parts list, and a kit price, lol.

This project is a thing of beauty.

Rpmextreme

Any updates?
Nothing right now. I have been driving it some but have had a lot of other work in the shop to get done, so the Sprinter has been on the back burner.

The harness and everything worked out great. Really all I have left to do is figure out the Ac request message from the sprinter side and get some small details finished up.

Im still looking for a instrument cluster from a Gas powered sprinter so Im not suck with a tach 5k redline. I tried a new one for a 2011 sprinter but its not programed and is in German.

I will say this thing will scoot. I nailed it from a dead stop and sent everything that was in the front crashing to the back. Im pretty sure I can do a burnout with the dual rear wheels.

Taco

Amazing work! What are your thoughts on availability for motor mounts for sale or even templates to have cut? Also, the harness/other electronics for the "plug and play" you previously mentioned? After hearing that sound coming out of a Sprinter, I need to make this a reality as well! Keep up the good work. Might need to do this in my XJ as well :)

Rpmextreme

Amazing work! What are your thoughts on availability for motor mounts for sale or even templates to have cut? Also, the harness/other electronics for the "plug and play" you previously mentioned? After hearing that sound coming out of a Sprinter, I need to make this a reality as well! Keep up the good work. Might need to do this in my XJ as well :)
Im getting some mounts cut at the laser cutter. we should have them in a a few weeks.

Top Bottom