07 Sprinter V8 LS 6.2 Conversion Engine Swap

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The factory diesel in-tank pump would probably run okay with gasoline? It is just a roller type pump, and should make 60 PSI without trouble. The diesel tank would need the evap routing into the intake. You could probably just take the plumbing off of the vehicle the LS engine came out of, and mod it to fit the diesel tank.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
The new generation 2019 Sprinters in US/CAN will have a gasoline engine option. It will probably take some time to get availability of the parts.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
4 or 6 lungs?
For USA/CAN market Sprinters with GVWRs of 8,550 and 9,100 will be available with the M274 4-cylinder gas engine. It will apparently be tuned slightly different than the same engine used on Mercedes and Infiniti cars. Attached paper from 2013 when the engine was first introduced

http://www.wardsauto.com/2017/2017-winner-mercedes-benz-c300-20l-turbocharged-dohc-4-cyl

https://www.enginetechnologyinterna...est-infiniti-q60-2-0t-mercedes-benz-m274.html

Attachments

Well, good to know there are going to be options out there for long term use! I do love my diesel though...

Who wants to stuff a ecoboost in to the Sprinter? I think I would miss my turbo noises too much!

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Well, good to know there are going to be options out there for long term use! I do love my diesel though...

Who wants to stuff a ecoboost in to the Sprinter? I think I would miss my turbo noises too much!
Ecoboost has turbos.

Why not just buy a van with the Ecoboost? Get the benefit of a better driving/handling vehicle.

Oops. Forgot Transit does not have a 3 pointed star.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Ecoboost has turbos.

Why not just buy a van with the Ecoboost? Get the benefit of a better driving/handling vehicle.

Oops. Forgot Transit does not have a 3 pointed star.

Despite the snark, some people just do this kinda thing because they enjoy the challenge.

Besides, if you can re-power a vehicle for less than the cost of a new, and very complicated later model, why not? Lots of commercial vehicles have engine conversions.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Despite the snark, some people just do this kinda thing because they enjoy the challenge.

Besides, if you can re-power a vehicle for less than the cost of a new, and very complicated later model, why not? Lots of commercial vehicles have engine conversions.
I just thought it might be easier to just add the three pointed stars to the Transit than putting a Ecoboost engine in a Sprinter.

I do think the gas V8 LS 6.2 with GM transmission in a NCV3 would make a nice van particularly if it can be done for less cost than a new Sprinter diesel V6. Think that is a better proposition than putting a direct injection twin turbo Ecoboost in a NCV3. Simpler is better.

danski0224

Not by much, and the Transit is about 6" taller.

One big drawback of the Transit, in my opinion, is the generous rear overhang compared to the standard 170" Sprinter.

I wouldn't mind a 170" Sprinter with the low roofline.

BC61

Great project. Have always thought a LS swap would be the way to go when the diesel gives up. Hope you make it into a plug and play retail kit.

Bob Laps

Not by much, and the Transit is about 6" taller.

One big drawback of the Transit, in my opinion, is the generous rear overhang compared to the standard 170" Sprinter.

I wouldn't mind a 170" Sprinter with the low roofline.
More than a foot

Bob

Rpmextreme

We are setup to integrate with the Sprinter ECU and CAN network. It should be a very clean install while keeping all the sprinter functions.

Making some progress. I have other projects going on as well.

Top Bottom